Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Of course not. I would never expect TT to be better than Alex Smith. Because Alex Smith is clearly better.

Based on the 1 game this season? Sure. But over that same period Tyrod is better than a lot of QB's you'd disagree with. Based on the past 2 years, no.

Can we all agree that it's silly to compare QBs' 2017 performance after one week of football?

If not, then I will add that Goff is obviously better than Brady.

Pretty much Gug. QB play around the league wasn't pretty barring a select few QBs (so far). Still have Brees and Rivers to go tonight!

And yet if you put Alex Smith on the Bills the last two years with the WRs injuries, and coaching and horrid defense, he doesn't play as well. Probably worse than TT. And if you put TT on the Chiefs the last couple years with the good coaching and great defense he probably plays a little better than he did on the Bills.

I think Smith is the better qb now, but it took Smith a long time to get to where he is, and he was bad-to-mediocre for a long time. He's a genuine veteran, and this is only Taylor's third year starting.

In Smith's sixth year - his first genuinely good season - his numbers were eerily Taylor-like. He led the NFL in sacks taken with 44 (he also had 7 fumbles), threw for 3144 yards with a 61.3 percent completion pct, had a 7.1 ypa average, and had a 17/5 TD/INT ratio. He only ran for 179 yards and 2 TDs, and although a good runner for a qb, he wasn't in Taylor's league that season. Otherwise, those are Taylor numbers to a tee. He did it in 16 games.

In 15 games last season, Taylor threw for 3,023 yards, had a 61.7 percent completion pct, averaged 7.1 ypa, had a 17/6 TD/INT ratio, and was sacked 42 times to lead the NFL. He ran for 538 yards, had 6 rushing TDs, and only fumbled 4 times (one lost) to Smith's 7 fumbles.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think Smith is the better qb now, but it took Smith a long time to get to where he is, and he was bad-to-mediocre for a long time. He's a genuine veteran, and this is only Taylor's third year starting.

In Smith's sixth year - his first genuinely good season - his numbers were eerily Taylor-like. He led the NFL in sacks taken with 44 (he also had 7 fumbles), threw for 3144 yards with a 61.3 percent completion pct, had a 7.1 ypa average, and had a 17/5 TD/INT ratio. He only ran for 179 yards and 2 TDs, and although a good runner for a qb, he wasn't in Taylor's league that season. Otherwise, those are Taylor numbers to a tee.

I came across this last year as well. It is why he is my player comp for TT. Smith is more athletic than he is given credit for and has great mobility. It also took a looooonnnnngggg time for that light to come on with him.

I came across this last year as well. It is why he is my player comp for TT. Smith is more athletic than he is given credit for and has great mobility. It also took a looooonnnnngggg time for that light to come on with him.

See my edit above about Taylor. The passing numbers are virtually identical!

In Smith's sixth year - his first genuinely good season - his numbers were eerily Taylor-like. He led the NFL in sacks taken with 44 (he also had 7 fumbles), threw for 3144 yards with a 61.3 percent completion pct, had a 7.1 ypa average, and had a 17/5 TD/INT ratio. He only ran for 179 yards and 2 TDs, and although a good runner for a qb, he wasn't in Taylor's league that season. Otherwise, those are Taylor numbers to a tee. He did it in 16 games.

In 15 games last season, Taylor threw for 3,023 yards, had a 61.7 percent completion pct, averaged 7.1 ypa, had a 17/6 TD/INT ratio, and was sacked 42 times to lead the NFL. He ran for 538 yards, had 6 rushing TDs, and only fumbled 4 times (one lost) to Smith's 7 fumbles.

Which is precisely my point. He had Harbaugh as his coach, the second ranked defense in the league, plus Crabtree and Braylon Edwards and Vernon Davis in prime and Delanie Walker and Ted Ginn and Frank Gore.

What's your question?

Well, you said he never got his hands on it, and then the next sentence said, "... as soon as the ball touched his hands." Seems like a contradiction.

I believe that the stat for dropped passes does not take into consideration the circumstances for why the ball was not reeled in. That would be too subjective a data point to make an accurate, or useful statistic. It just places a percentage of the number of passes that touch the hands that aren't caught.

Clay was 3.5% last season, which is fairly middling.

Objectively?

Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Brees, Rivers, Carr, Winston, Mariota, Cousins, Smith, Stafford, Luck, Wilson

Subjectively?

Add Wentz to the group above.

6 of those QBs are 33 or older. I completely disagree with Cousins and Wentz but that's besides the point. You only listed 8 QBs including Wentz below the age of 30 who you feel confident in as starters moving forward. That would tell me there are 24 teams that need to start looking for a new QB. Do you think that's true or realistic?

:doh:

Buffalo Bills 1st downs: 10 by rush, 11 by pass, 2 by penalty

3rd and 7 Tyrod passes for a first down

3rd and 3 Tyrod rushes for first down

3rd and Goal Tyrod throws INT

3rd and 12 Tyrod incomplete

3rd and 11 Tyrod complete for 14 yards (imo the best play of the game for TT)

3rd and 3 McCoy rush for 1st down

3rd and Goal TD to Clay

3rd and 21 Tolbert run for 3 yards

3rd and 5 Tyrod incomplete, penalty, result was a 1st down

3rd and 16 Tyrod incomplete

3rd and 9 Tyrod scrambles for 3, 4th down

3rd and 8 Tyrod rushes for first down

3rd and 2 Tyrod complete, 1st down

3rd and 9 Tyrod complete short of first

3rd and 8 Tyrod incomplete

3rd and 7 Tyrod rushes for 1st down

3rd and 17 Tyrod scrambles for 5, 4th down

3rd and 12 Tyrod kneeled

Do you see a pattern? Here are some:

On every 3rd down save 2 the coaches wanted the ball in TT's hands.

Tyrod ran for 3 of the rushing first downs.

Every single 3rd and less than 5 was converted

Do you notice at the end of the game when the Bills were in rush rush pass all of the 3rd down attempts were 3rd and 7+ which has a low conversion level LEAGUE wide

Context matters...

Awesome post! I thought Tyrod was really good on 3rd down yesterday. That's something we needed from him in a game that shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Personally, I use YPT (factors in passes, runs & sacks), TD%, and TO%. Then I weight it by how many attempts the QB had vs the average qb in the same timeframe. I pay attention to red zone & 3rd down efficiency, but I try not to weight stats based on them.

Hokie.... you and I are on the same page. YPT is a stat I legitimately think the NFL should be tracking.

And if you calculate those out, Taylor would have 6.7 YPT (In truth, we should probably take out any kneeldowns at the end of halves or games so Taylor's actual YPT if you took those out would be 7.4 YPT... but I'm not bothering to figure out kneeldowns for other QBs, so we'll go with 6.7)

vs. other QBs like

Alex Smith: 8.3 YPT

Aaron Rodgers: 5.8 YPT

Carson Wentz: 6.8 YPT

Tom Brady: 6.0 YPT

Derek Carr: 7.0 YPT

Hokie.... you and I are on the same page. YPT is a stat I legitimately think the NFL should be tracking.

And if you calculate those out, Taylor would have 6.7 YPT (In truth, we should probably take out any kneeldowns at the end of halves or games so Taylor's actual YPT if you took those out would be 7.4 YPT... but I'm not bothering to figure out kneeldowns for other QBs, so we'll go with 6.7)

vs. other QBs like

Alex Smith: 8.3 YPT

Aaron Rodgers: 5.8 YPT

Carson Wentz: 6.8 YPT

Tom Brady: 6.0 YPT

Derek Carr: 7.0 YPT

I've got them all charted so far this week. Waiting until tomorrow to look at how things shake out. Highest so far is actually Jared Goff at 9.68.

6 of those QBs are 33 or older. I completely disagree with Cousins and Wentz but that's besides the point. You only listed 8 QBs including Wentz below the age of 30 who you feel confident in as starters moving forward. That would tell me there are 24 teams that need to start looking for a new QB. Do you think that's true or realistic?

Awesome post! I thought Tyrod was really good on 3rd down yesterday. That's something we needed from him in a game that shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Well, I forgot Cam, Matt Ryan, Eli, and Dak. I would've thrown Palmer on there last year, but I'm concerned this year is it for him.

So that'd be 12 maybe 13.

The QB's who are 33 or older would be Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Brees, Rivers, Manning, Smith.

In the last 4 years those teams have drafted:

3rd rounder Brissett, 2nd rounder Garrapolo, 5th rounder Hundley, 4th rounder Dobbs, 3rd rounder Grayson, 3rd rounder Webb, 5th rounder Murray, 5th rounder Hogan,1st rounder (trade up) Mahomes.

Notable QB's outside of the last 4 years drafted by the above teams:

Mallet, Sorensen, Jones, Nassib.

So when you ask me if I think its realistic these teams are preparing to replace the "old guard" of QB's, I think the answer is undoubtedly "yes."

You are getting progressively worse I'm afraid.

Your last 5 posts have been utterly devoid of any thoughts other than something you'd see scribbled on a bathroom stall.

We were 4-11 on third down with Taylor passing. 4-6 on third down running.

You be the judge.

I counted 7-14 in total 3rd down conversions after going through the play by play. In reality it was 8-15.

Taylor was 4-9 on 3rd down passes (5-10 if you include the DPI called on the attempted pass to Holmes on 3rd down) and 3-5 on 3rd down runs. I don't know if you were trying to count team rushing, but even your team rushing numbers were wrong.

Indisputably.

While that's true, Tyrod didn't deliver when passing. He's the QB.

5/10 on 3rd down conversions passing certainly isn't failing.

If Taylor were to end the year with a 50% 3rd down conversion % when passing the football, I guarantee you he'd be near the top of the league.

I counted 7-14 in total 3rd down conversions after going through the play by play. In reality it was 8-15.

Taylor was 4-9 on 3rd down passes (5-10 if you include the DPI called on the attempted pass to Holmes on 3rd down) and 3-5 on 3rd down runs. I don't know if you were trying to count team rushing, but even your team rushing numbers were wrong.

No.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201709100buf.htm

Well long is relative. 3rd and 6 ain't that long.

They did all require him to pass, that's true. And he sucked at that.

Taylor in 2015 and 2016 was one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL at converting 3rd and long.

You're just lost and Taylor isn't good enough for you and never will be.

That's fine.

But your perception on him is based on pretty lofty expectations even great NFL QBs don't really meet.

If you think there's many QBs in the NFL (other than Aaron Rodgers probably) who could have converted that 3rd and 11 to Matthews in the middle of the field towards the end of the 1st quarter, you're selectively watching games only for plays you aren't happy with and ignoring the great plays. That was a great play that's a sack for virtually any other QB.

Why are you using some random secondary website?

Go to NFL.com and click on the play by play for the game and do it yourself. Don't be lazy and post some link that could easily be wrong. Go count it up. It doesn't take long.

Taylor in 2015 and 2016 was one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL at converting 3rd and long.

You're just lost and Taylor isn't good enough for you and never will be.

That's fine.

But your perception on him is based on pretty lofty expectations even great NFL QBs don't really meet.

If you think there's many QBs in the NFL (other than Aaron Rodgers probably) who could have converted that 3rd and 11 to Matthews in the middle of the field towards the end of the 1st quarter, you're selectively watching games only for plays you aren't happy with and ignoring the great plays. That was a great play that's a sack for virtually any other QB.

Except Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, maybe Mariota?

It was still a great play. The incompletions on third down kiliing drives however, could be accomplished by virtually every other QB. And there were far more of those plays then the great ones.

Edited by jmc12290

That's certainly your opinion, but I don't agree.

Alex Smith is a better QB/passer than TT and that difference shakes out in the W-L every year.

I'm sure having one of the dominant defenses in the NFL helps that win loss record. It took 6 seasons for Smith to look decent and he started every year to that point. He also recently had a year where he didn't throw a TD to wr.

I think he is probably a better passer but it isn't by much.

Except Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, maybe Mariota?

It was still a great play. The incompletions on third down kiliing drives however, could be accomplished by virtually every other QB. And there were far more of those plays then the great ones.

Why are you arguing with Bills fans again?