Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

Weird that you used the word "great" for a 284 yard, 1 TD and 0 INT game but "good" for a 300+ yard game with 3 TDs and 0 INTs.

Truthfully, really makes you seem like a Troll. I don't think you're one, but you look like one here.

Yup, you got him here transplant. I don't think Gugny is a troll but he lets names blind him. I've seen him laugh at the suggestion that Cam Newton and Tyrod Taylor are not so far off in their abilities. After all it's Cam Newton, former #1 overall pick. I've seen him say he would trade 4 1st round picks for Andrew Luck on his current contract. Because you know it's Andrew Luck, the most hyped #1 pick of all time. That's why Gugny slips up here. Drew Brees's stats look better to him because he's Drew Brees. This is actually how a lot of people view the game.

Edited by HappyDays

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was responding to the premise that no matter what he does there will be haters. Immediately, you chimed in hating. The timing was just right on cue.

FWIW, depending on the metric that you use I think he already was in the top 10 at least once (in total QBR). I don't remember but it's not that crazy. Do I think that he is a top 10 guy? No. Is it possible that he makes a slight jump from 20ish to 15ish? Absolutely

Call me when he's top 10 and leads a deep playoff run. And then point out the "haters." Lol.

Meanwhile, Alex Smith has led multiple playoffs but TT backyard footballing to .500 means he's so good to have unfounded "haters" who will never be happy. Lol.

I've got them all charted so far this week. Waiting until tomorrow to look at how things shake out. Highest so far is actually Jared Goff at 9.68.

31 QBs attempted at least 18 passes this week. So far Tyrod ranks:

16th in Passing Yards

6th in Yards per Attempt

12th in Total Yards

9th in Yards per Touch

9th in TD%

T-18th in TO%

12th in Passer Rating

Yup, you got him here transplant. I don't think Gugny is a troll but he lets names blind him. I've seen him laugh at the suggestion that Cam Newton and Tyrod Taylor are not so far off in their abilities. After all it's Cam Newton, former #1 overall pick. I've seen him say he would trade 4 1st round picks for Andrew Luck on his current contract. Because you know it's Andrew Luck, the most hyped #1 pick of all time. That's why Gugny slips up here. Drew Brees's stats look better to him because he's Drew Brees. This is actually how a lot of people view the game.

Re: Cam Newton - he is about 200x the QB Tyrod Taylor is and I stand by that statement.

Re: 4 1sts for Luck - I don't recall saying that and it would shock me if I actually did. I would never endorse such a move. In fact, I've stated that Andrew Luck is overrated many times.

Re: Drew Brees' career stats will put him into the HOF on his first try. That has nothing to do with his name. It has everything to do with his accomplishments, including being a Super Bowl Champion.

Re: Cam Newton - he is about 200x the QB Tyrod Taylor is and I stand by that statement.

Re: 4 1sts for Luck - I don't recall saying that and it would shock me if I actually did. I would never endorse such a move. In fact, I've stated that Andrew Luck is overrated many times.

Re: Drew Brees' career stats will put him into the HOF on his first try. That has nothing to do with his name. It has everything to do with his accomplishments, including being a Super Bowl Champion.

You're right about Luck, I was thinking of a different poster.

You're 100% wrong on Newton unless you're talking about his one great year. He has been mediocre every other year and made the playoffs a couple times only because of a weak division. I don't think a single person in the NFL world would agree with that statement. You were an EJ guy too right? You have Doug Whaley syndrome, you can't see past height and arm strength. Cam does things Tyrod could never do but you have to acknowledge the opposite is true as well.

You're 100% wrong on Newton unless you're talking about his one great year. He has been mediocre every other year and made the playoffs a couple times only because of a weak division. I don't think a single person in the NFL world would agree with that statement. You were an EJ guy too right? You have Doug Whaley syndrome, you can't see past height and arm strength. Cam does things Tyrod could never do but you have to acknowledge the opposite is true as well.

His first 6 seasons averages:

3629 yards

23 TD

13 INT

Average starts/season - 15.5

That ... to me ... is an elite QB.

I guess we can agree to disagree; but other than last year, this kid has had a phenomenal career, IMO.

3629 yards

23 TD

13 INT

I guess we can agree to disagree; but other than last year, this kid has had a phenomenal career, IMO.

How can you objectively say Cam Newton is elite and at the same time consider Tyrod a below average QB?

Ridiculous.

Of course we all will be especially if (and it likely will) result in losses. We're friggin die hard Bills fans, aren't you?

The better question maybe if you and a few others will be extra mad if Taylor plays really well in the next two games 0:)

I think the most vile and loathsome folks on here are those who are actively rooting against Taylor, even going so far as rooting for injury. And there are clearly a few of those. Are you one of them?

I don't doubt that PFR is a nice, often reliable website. But they aren't officially a part of the NFL. When I said that other poster was wrong, I was looking at the play by plays on the NFL's official website. Are you honestly telling me that I should trust PFR's play by play more than the NFL's play by play? And if that's what you're really telling me, when I have time I'll have to just go to my game pass subscription and rewatch all the third downs. But boy oh boy, it sounds really suspect to say that PFR has a more reliable play by play breakdown than the NFL's official website 0:)

What I'm telling you is that PFR is a better site that is far cleaner and far easier to use (nfl.com and espn.com's sites are graphic messes). It also has far deeper historical coverage. Its AV metric (akin to bWAR) is pretty reliable too, and better than anything nfl.com has to offer.

Again, I suggest giving it an extensive perusal along with its parent site, www.baseball-reference.com, which really is the granddady of all of these sites. Trust me, baseball people use baseball-reference.com, not mlb.com for stats.

Edited by dave mcbride

What I'm telling you is that PFR is a better site that is far cleaner and far easier to use (nfl.com and espn.com's sites are graphic messes). It also has far deeper historical coverage. Its AV metric (akin to bWAR) is pretty reliable too, and better than anything nfl.com has to offer.

Again, I suggest giving a deep perusal along with its parent site, baseball-reference.com.

I agree, but using it to prove the actual play-by-play wrong is poor. It's pretty clear that they omitted the 3rd down attempt that was converted due to PI. Kind of like how people like to quote Tyrod's record from there and they always miss the Colts win even though he's the only QB on the Bills' stat sheet for the game.

Point being it's a great site, but people still need to use their brain once in a while.

I agree, but using it to prove the actual play-by-play wrong is poor. It's pretty clear that they omitted the 3rd down attempt that was converted due to PI. Kind of like how people like to quote Tyrod's record from there and they always miss the Colts win even though he's the only QB on the Bills' stat sheet for the game.

Point being it's a great site, but people still need to use their brain once in a while.

I have no idea about that; I'm speaking in general terms about the site, which I firmly believe is better than nfl.com.

3629 yards

23 TD

13 INT

I'm not interested in arguing the point whether Cam is "elite"

However it is interesting to look at Taylor's averages from two years starting :

62.7% completion

3029 yds

7.45 yds per attempt

19 tds

6 interceptions

Are they "elite"? Nope.

Are they worse than Cam's? For the most part, yes.

But you say Cam is elite while Taylor is nothing more that a backup.

Actually, you said Taylor could make it as a backup on "most teams" - how many you didn't specify.

I don't see that much of a difference between the numbers.......

3629 yards

23 TD

13 INT

His career average TD:INT ratio is 1.8 which is below average at best. His career passer rating is 86.1. YPA is 7.4.

Elite? Not even close. On any given Sunday I do not necessarily expect Cam Newton to play better than Tyrod. Compare with Drew Brees, who on any given Sunday I would absolutely expect to play better than Tyrod with few exceptions. That's how I define my tiers so I put Cam and Tyrod in about the same tier. I give Cam a slight edge over Tyrod because he has that one great year, but much like Joe Flacco that only extends so far before you have to admit it was just one great year.

Edited by HappyDays

How does an elite QB have 6 games with a sub 50 comp %... in only 14 starts. Only 4 with a higher than 60 comp %.

Those are last years numbers...

He's a guy who wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line, and he's got all the physical attributes you look for, but of his 3 playoff seasons... their Defense was top 5 in 2 of them, and the other year they finished 7-8-1 in the worst division in football.

He's had 1 excellent season, and other than that he's been pretty good.

Edited by dneveu

I'm not interested in arguing the point whether Cam is "elite"

However it is interesting to look at Taylor's averages from two years starting :

62.7% completion

3029 yds

7.45 yds per attempt

19 tds

6 interceptions

Are they "elite"? Nope.

Are they worse than Cam's? For the most part, yes.

But you say Cam is elite while Taylor is nothing more that a backup.

Actually, you said Taylor could make it as a backup on "most teams" - how many you didn't specify.

I don't see that much of a difference between the numbers.......

Also need to consider the types of offense they were being asked to run.

Mike Shula offense is WAY different than an Anthony Lynn offense.

http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-09-11-matthews-bills-pass-the-east-test/

"Quarterback Tyrod Taylor played well. The critics should give him a break for at least one week. Personally, I believe his 16-14 career record as Buffalo’s starting QB is pretty good. He isn’t great but he could use more help – not less.

Read more: http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-09-11-matthews-bills-pass-the-east-test/#ixzz4sTYrs4DY"

I'd love to hear the things TT can do that Cam Newton can't?

LOL