Gilmore!!!

Why do the fans with a lower football IQ hate Gilmore so much?

Obviously those with a supposedly lower football IQ than you actually watched last night's game without a blindfold on unlike yourself. Pretty ballsy to insult those criticizing Gilmore after he bombed against the Chiefs.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny but MCourty admitted it was his blown coverage on the play. Playing cover2 he had the deep half.

Given that it was cover 2 and that the other corner flattened out in the short flat on the other side (just like Gilmore did initially), Gilmore most likely didn't blow his coverage. I still like poking fun at Gilmore though.

Edited by Fan in Alaska

I am not going to claim to be an expert on coverages. I played Oline into college and cover 2 vs cover 1 vs cover 3 etc always confused me. I can say that I watch a good bit of college and pro football. It appears Gilmore is the victim of a break down in communication of coverage more than the average DB. I really don't get why this happened while he was in Buffalo and now in his first game w NE it has occurred. Gilmore is long and fast and has everything you want in a top end CB. BB broke the bank because he sees the window closing. I don't believe Thursday is the nail in the coffin for the Pats dynasty. The Pats won't go down without a fight. When the slide does happen let's hope it's a fast one that opens the door to every other team.

I have a feeling this thread will be revived every time Gilmore makes a mistake. I do agree he's overrated, but Jesus some people on this board want him to fail, because why, he did what every single player does by going after a bigger contract, and a better chance of winning a championship? I adamantly argued with a friend that he is way overrated; he is great in coverage at times, but never wraps up a tackle and often blows coverages. You guys can debate that deep ball ad nauseum, but the people defending him know in their hearts that he has been involved in a LOT of blown coverages That have resulted in touchdowns or big plays. It happens too often for it to be a coincidence, that other players around him are always blowing coverages and we're to accept that he is always playing assignment correctly. I can actually see this happening several times this year, and him possibly being benched at some point. Yes I will root for him to fail, but for no other reason than he is on the PatriotS and I wI'll celebrate every single thing that is advantageous for the bills. But to say the guy is a cancer is pathetic; the guy barely ever speaks and is known to be a consummate professional off the field. He's just a guy who plays football, he is guilty of nothing other than being a liability on the field at times. Get over it

Funny but MCourty admitted it was his blown coverage on the play. Playing cover2 he had the deep half.

yep. not Gilmore's coverage. amazing that bitter, dumb Bills fans on this thread can't see that it obviously wasn't man coverage on that play. come on guys, if you can't see cover 2 (even on TV) you need to watch another sport... you really think Gilmore lets him go like that if he's in man? Plus if he's in man, he's gone chasing a WR, not a RB. geez, such anger. I'm with you that Gilmore wasn't worth the contract he got, but he is certainly a good man cover guy. We just couldn't use him as Frazier strictly is a Cover2/3 guy and his contract had expired.

I'm sure Gilmore will do good things there, but it's certainly understandable the Bills did not want to spend 14 million a year.

Watching him the last couple years with Rex and seeing the game the other night I wonder if he just has more difficulty with zone concepts.

there isn't alot more than I can say that I already have but I vehemently disagree

I hate agreeing with you but I wholeheartedly do in this case

You're disagreeing that the sky is blue.

Can you demonstrate a CB in Cover 2 making a play on a deeip up and out?

Surely there's a CB you have in mind with this awareness.

Edited by jmc12290

Given that it was cover 2 and that the other corner flattened out in the short flat on the other side (just like Gilmore did initially), Gilmore most likely didn't blow his coverage. I still like poking fun at Gilmore though.

Correct.

Also, McCourty never got to the field numbers on his drop--that's a hallmark of safety play in C-2. Get to your mark and do it quickly; that's why the Mike drops to depth in a Tampa-2--to cover the vacant space.

Good observation re Gilmore and Butler mirroring each other.

This. Enjoy it while you can. Anyone who thinks this is going to be standard play from their defense is delusional. New guys getting used to each other and a new system to them. I believe Gilmore will get the last laugh. Especially late in the season, when we play them twice.

Yup.

2 deep safety, against 3 vertical routes. Tough for the safety's but those guys are most certainly theirs to cover.

McCourty gets sucked into the middle vert route, should be playing wider.

Yep. The MIKE has to deepen is drop with the TE. That was misplayed by the Safety and Mike.

Yes over the top is the safety's responsibility, but in a cover 2 Shdnt the CB at least jam the receiver at the line instead of playing several feet away?

That said, you need speedy DBs in a cover 2 but nobody on the Pats was gonna keep up with Hill.

So while you can't blame the CB fully - you also cannot absolve him completely.

Gilmore is a bit susceptible with these defense schemes. I remember Fitz and the Jets!! Torching Rex's scheme with Gilmore and Darby last year.

Depends. Seeing the other CB did the same thing they were in off zone coverage. It was a real easy coverage concept to read.

But shouldnt the corner keep bailing if no one is in front of him?

No he has that zone responsibility there was a flaring RB. That was all on the Safety

How could it be mccourty's fault solely? Looking at that video above, there was no one else even remotely close to gilmore's zone, which meant he should have stayed with the guy who is actually in it.

Even McCourty himself said it was on him

I swear he looked like he was dogging it on the Hunt TD pass...McCourty blew past him. Looked like he was jogging or tired.

Yeah there was really no mistaking it.

I think most of us expected Dark Lord Bill was going to get him to buy in like so many others, but the Slack is strong in Gilmore.

I'm really amazed at how few people could recognize that was cover 2? That play was a TD before the ball was snapped. I won't comment on our football intellect as some get their panties in a wad but come on guys!!

Also, Jerel Worthy's tweet was GOLD. https://twitter.com/i_am_worthy99/status/906006962411900929

The reality is because so fee Bills fans are actually knowledgeable in football. They just have claimed to be.

Yet another reason to disregard what Cian Fahey has to say about football, the guy just doesn't know what he's talking about.

But he defends tt so he must know football