Gilmore!!!

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gilmore is let off for covering air, and letting their best player run down the field? Vets with his pay should make plays, even if it's not his assignment. Sell out and win instead of making excuses and cashing a paycheck.

Loser talk -> They scored a 70 yard touchdown but I did my job

It's still a loss letting him walk. Getting him to give more effort is a lot easier than firing everyone and changing everything.

Exactly what they are. I'm not putting grades on it just telling you what I saw. I don't implicitly trust their judgments over mine.

No data, just watched the game last night and those are my thoughts. Sorry I'm not an expert like the random unpaid PFF interns.

So you watch every single Sherman snap and compare their number of missed tackles? Oh, don't forget to rewatch the big plays out of Arizona for Patrick Peterson.

You're talking out of your ass.

Gilmore is let off for covering air, and letting their best player run down the field? Vets with his pay should make plays, even if it's not his assignment. Sell out and win instead of making excuses and cashing a paycheck.

It's still a loss letting him walk. Getting him to give more effort is a lot easier than firing everyone and changing everything.

At game speed it's awfully difficult to sprint downfield, notice that for certain no receivers entered or will enter your zone and decide to continue flying down with that guy. Plays are called on both sides and the Chiefs dialed up a perfect play for what the Patriots called. You can see McCourty twist away from the receiver cutting across field only to notice he was too late to get to Hill as Gilmore was passing him off. The CB on the other side of the field holds up at the same point Gilmore starts easing off of Hill. In McCourty's defense, I would never have guessed Alex Smith makes that throw. But I love how he's responded so far to the Mahomes selection.

I just have trouble believing his job was to cover an empty zone with no players within 10 yards while the burner WR runs right past him.

Just for clarity, P51 is a former DB coach.

I tend to take his word on these issues

That's rich.

You want Gilmore to do something other than his job despite the literal Patriot mantra being "do your job"?

Come on dude

Just for clarity, P51 is a former DB coach.

I tend to take his word on these issues

That's rich.

You want Gilmore to do something other than his job despite the literal Patriot mantra being "do your job"?

Come on dude

I'd be interested in hearing his opinion on Gilmore's positioning on that play, specifically his weird first step (at least to me) and how upright he was on the swivel, if he's still reading this thread...

He plays like that a few more times Billy B will flat out cut him

This is what I've been wondering. How can a defensive coach such as himself put up with a guy that can't or won't tackle on D? That play where he dove under the runners feet, gave the Cheaps another 7 yards.

On the TD to #27 he was further downfield when the football was caught but didn't even attempt to cut across field to tackle the guy. Instead he jogs paralell and ends up trailing him into EZ.

I was surprised last year Rex put up with this nonsense, but he did. Not sure Bill BelLyache will. I suspect him to get benched at some point.

I'd be interested in hearing his opinion on Gilmore's positioning on that play, specifically his weird first step (at least to me) and how upright he was on the swivel, if he's still reading this thread...

Gilmore's problem more than anything on that play was his lack of awareness.

Reminds me of that huge hit he put on against Denver a couple years back, it was a third down and long and he absolutely demolished the WR. The hit was borderline, pretty much right as the WR was catching the ball and he got called for a personal foul, automatic first down. The guy was well short of the first down and even though he may have hit the WR right as he was receiving it, he could have easily let up just a little and made sure to make the tackle without risking drawing that penalty. Lack of awareness.

Last night, even though it may not have been his "duty" to follow that WR, he was positioned in such a way to where he could see everything that was going on in front of him and there was no other KC player anywhere near his zip code and he should have had the awareness to cover the WR and he didn't. I'm sure there will be people who will say that it wasn't his responsibility and by leaving his zone he's hurting the team and I just say B.S to that. There was no player coming to his zone and the threat was the guy he just released coverage. Lack of awareness.

Seriously, it's not hard for those that don't understand Cover 2, google it. There are plenty of pictures that show how this scheme is played and where there zones are defined.

And to those saying he should have just carried on covering Hill:

First, is he just suppose to ignore a coaches call and cover man/man? Second, what happens if the LB passes his player, the slot receiver in this instance, off into Gilmores zone and he's off trying to cover Hill? Is Gilmore suppose to just assume the LB keeps covering someone in Gilmores zone? Is Gilmore suppose to know what's going in everyone else's zones while watching the QB, which is what you do in zone?

Watch Butler, he does the same exact thing Gilmore does and his vertical route is wide open too. Both Safety's bit on the vert middle route instead of getting deep.

That was one of the things I noticed, though P51 might've addressed that by saying his move was to protect the flat? The other thing that bothered me about Gilmore on that play was that he seemed to visibly give up, which I feel like I've seen far too often.

Reminds me of that huge hit he put on against Denver a couple years back, it was a third down and long and he absolutely demolished the WR. The hit was borderline, pretty much right as the WR was catching the ball and he got called for a personal foul, automatic first down. The guy was well short of the first down and even though he may have hit the WR right as he was receiving it, he could have easily let up just a little and made sure to make the tackle without risking drawing that penalty. Lack of awareness.

Last night, even though it may not have been his "duty" to follow that WR, he was positioned in such a way to where he could see everything that was going on in front of him and there was no other KC player anywhere near his zip code and he should have had the awareness to cover the WR and he didn't. I'm sure there will be people who will say that it wasn't his responsibility and by leaving his zone he's hurting the team and I just say B.S to that. There was no player coming to his zone and the threat was the guy he just released coverage. Lack of awareness.

I dunno...I said earlier in this thread it was a pretty obvious cover2 and he did his job, I think for some reason both he and McCourty weren't keyed on the snap and got caught off guard. I don't think he suffered from lack of awareness on that play so much as mistiming his leverage.

This is what I've been wondering. How can a defensive coach such as himself put up with a guy that can't or won't tackle on D? That play where he dove under the runners feet, gave the Cheaps another 7 yards.

On the TD to #27 he was further downfield when the football was caught but didn't even attempt to cut across field to tackle the guy. Instead he jogs paralell and ends up trailing him into EZ.

I was surprised last year Rex put up with this nonsense, but he did. Not sure Bill BelLyache will. I suspect him to get benched at some point.

Agreed about that other TD. He was slow to get over for sure, probably could have made the tackle if he got over as soon as he saw it.

That was one of the things I noticed, though P51 might've addressed that by saying his move was to protect the flat? The other thing that bothered me about Gilmore on that play was that he seemed to visibly give up, which I feel like I've seen far too often.

This is something I do notice. As well as with the Hunt TD. Not sure if maybe he's just gassed or what? Granted, Hill and Hunt are both faster than him.

So just ignore the coaches huh? Gilmore should just ignore what the called scheme is?

And yes, there was someone coming near his zone, there were 2 shallow crossing patterns that mirrored each other. One on Butlers side and another on Gilmores. Yes the LB was covering him but eventually he would enter Gilmores zone. Is the LB just suppose to know that Gilmore is of in man/man coverage and that he now needs to be in man?

Flat is definitely his responsibility on that call. As I said earlier, the greenest rookie DB wouldn't play Hill like that unless the call is safety help over the top. Gilmore's got the flat and outside leverage, he just looks awkward because of that first step IMO.

So just ignore the coaches huh? Gilmore should just ignore what the called scheme is?

And yes, there was someone coming near his zone, there were 2 shallow crossing patterns that mirrored each other. One on Butlers side and another on Gilmores. Yes the LB was covering him but eventually he would enter Gilmores zone. Is the LB just suppose to know that Gilmore is of in man/man coverage and that he now needs to be in man?

I made my point, the post speaks for itself.

I dunno...I said earlier in this thread it was a pretty obvious cover2 and he did his job, I think for some reason both he and McCourty weren't keyed on the snap and got caught off guard. I don't think he suffered from lack of awareness on that play so much as mistiming his leverage.

You may not know, but from my perspective it was a lack of awareness.

Yea you did, you don't understand defensive schemes or calls.

Says the rube