FINALLY: NFL hires FULLTIME Refs

DrDawkinstein

NFL just announced the hiring of 21 Full Time officials.

https://twitter.com/NFLfootballinfo/status/905497117229285378

DJD34wpWAAAgP5t.jpg

I know there are some of us that have been pushing for this for years. For the exact reasons the press release cites: greater consistency, efficiency, and accuracy.

FINALLY!

Edited by DrDareustein

It's about time. Referees are ruining sports. Maybe we are overly critical now that hat we have HD and can put every play under a microscope, while the refs are running in the war zone. I think they need to add additional officials in the booth with multiple monitors. It shouldn't be ability money. If the NFL wants to fix this, they would. They have the money to fix this. Do they want to? I doubt it

The NFL announced this back in August. Today the identified who the full time officials are. I hope it will make a difference, but I doubt it.

...ONLY way it works if the full time gang goes through Ref OTA's and TC to get up to speed on rules changes and to review game tape to see obvious gaffes and missed calls....NOT an indictment of their work by any means, but more of a learning tool to get better.....

I was fortunate enough to speak with Mike Pereira 4 weeks ago at a UCLA function and he said this 1 FT official per game is basically "for looks only". It's a way for the NFL to look a little better in the eyes of the fans. But essentially all refs need to be FT before these mistakes get reduced. Basically just a PR move.

It's just a baby step, but at least it's a start.

The biggest factor that causes bad calls, imo, is the vagueness and over-complication of what should be simple rules. It's not that the refs are bad, but rather the rules they are being asked to enforce are not clear and too much is left open to interpretation.

Full time refs are needed. They can work with teams on helping clarify what they will call and how they will call it. But the NFL needs to get its rule book under control too.

Good news. As a bonus, the awful Ed Hochuli is not part of the group.

But Jerome is.

BTW no women ;)

he makes more money as a lawyer than the NFL could pay probably. he's a partner in his own firm

He only represents clients with big guns ;)