How has Mills been named starter at RT for two regimes??

Big Turk

Mills was terrible in pass blocking but a sevicable run blocker. Dawkins looks terrible so far. Most 2nd round pick OT, should be abel to beat out Mills. That said he was forced to play at LT while RG was a revolving door. Not exactly conducive to learning the RT position.

Best case scenario is they work Dawkins in for a few series here and there, and also line him up as a third OT in certain packages.

The real decision will come in week 5. Do they keep Henderson, Mills, or the waiver wire pick-up?

As an aside, I don't understand why Groy didn't get snaps at RT in camp. He is 6'5" and played a couple games at LT in college. Maybe he would be terrible but it would have been interesting to see.

And I am still beating the dead horse of Glenn to RT and CK at LT was the best 5, along with Richie, Wood(Groy), and Miller. I will concede Glenn is a very good LT but the drop off to CK was simply not that much while any player they have had at RT (including CK) has consistently been one of the worst in the league.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller or Mills? Mills stunk last season.

I think people are confused.

Miller is the RG. He was decent last year, but has had some problems with the new blocking schemes (no, he hasn't gotten "complacent"!), and has been in "competition" with Vlad Ducasse who has played for Castillo before. Ducasse is a dog but he knows the blocking schemes, so he may have an edge.

Mills is the RT. He struggled last season, and Dawkins was drafted to be his eventual replacement. Dawkins played LT in college (generally in college, the best OLer play LT but in the pros the skill sets are significantly different), so he's going to need time to adjust to his new position (everything is reversed, and not everybody can adjust to that quickly). Unfortunately, he didn't get as many reps at RT as intended because of Cordy Glenn's injury. It was probably unlikely that Dawkins would become the starting RT this season unless it was late in the year.

Mills really owes that he is still starting to Glenn's foot issue. Without that Dawkins goes into a legit Competition with Mills on right side and likey beats him.

Dawkins playing both LT and RT hurt his immediate growth. But obviously better long term

When you Draft as poorly as the Bills do, you can see there is no depth or up and coming players anywhere on the roster.

The Bills haven't drafted terribly, especially since 2010. The problem is that they continually let too many good young players (especially DB, RB, and WR) leave after the rookie contracts, and then are forced to fill those voids with draft picks, leaving precious few picks for other positions. If the Bills had re-signed Gilmore and Woods/Goodwin, they wouldn't have had to use the #1 on White and their #2 on Jones in order to fill those voids. Trading Watkins was more of the same.

Mills really owes that he is still starting to Glenn's foot issue. Without that Dawkins goes into a legit Competition with Mills on right side and likey beats him.

Dawkins playing both LT and RT hurt his immediate growth. But obviously better long term

Yeah and if I had to float a guess I'd say that Dawkins gets a few series at LT Sunday as they ease Glenn back in. Hardly practiced and only played a few series in one game so probably not up for the 80 plays they should get as the Jets offense keeps giving the Bills the ball back.

Miller is a solid RG. Mills keep starting at RT because we have no one better at RT. Dawkins got rookie pwned this ps. He needs time in the weight room and film room learning how to not get pansted by everyone. #FreeRLBillz

This. Times x2.

According to Cover1, Dawkins was one of the better offensive players in the pre-season, but I do agree that it's not a bad idea to let him ease in.

Miller is actually better than most people give him credit for. Tyrod has a known tendency to run to right so there's always extra pressure from that side of the line

I've made the point previously (and been flamed for it) that Tyrod's mobility, as well as his tendency to stretch out the pocket, takes pressure off the left side. Subsequently, with Glenn, Cog, Wood on the left, opposing defenses rarely attack on the left, making Mills' job that much harder. I agree that Mills is better than given credit, and so, apparently, does McD.

They talk about bringing in competition but yet Mills, easily the WORST offensive lineman in the starting lineup last year basically gets a free pass again...

What has Mills done that warrants him starting in the NFL except being used for turnstile duty on a regular basis??

Yet they seemed intent on forcing Ducasse into the starting lineup when Miller was one of the most improved linemen in the NFL last year?

Ridiculous....Who does Mills have dirt on to hold onto his starting job with virtually no competition??

This post is what is ridiculous.

Two GMs with a total of over 20 years experience evaluating talent in the NFL and two coaches with over years experience evaluating and coaching talent in the NFL ALL decide that Mills should be the right tackle, and you think THEY'RE ridiculous? Maybe you need to post your qualifications, including the amount of on-field and off-field time you've spent evaluating Mills before you call everyone else ridiculous.

You say that Mills was the worst offensive lineman starting for the Bills last season. That may be true, but did you know that EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL had a "worst offensive lineman" starting for them EVERY TEAM, because, of course, some linemen are better than others. The question is not whether Mills was the worst offensive lineman starting for the Bills; the question is whether there was a better lineman available to the Bills whom Beane failed to acquire.

And I'll say the same thing to you about Miller and Ducasse. You're complaining even though the Bills named Miller the starter, the guy you want to be the starter. So you complaint is that they spent too much time looking at Ducasse. And how, exactly, has that hurt the Bills?

Well actually Dawkins needs time. He had a rough offseason

He was rough weeks 1 and 2. He was better weeks 3 and 4. I think he needs time with the left to right adjustment. I was pretty down on him after 2 games but there is plenty of encouragement on tape the last two outings.

Edit: I still say they make the switch at the bye and Dawkins starts at RT week 7.

Edited by GunnerBill