Hurricane Irma General: Potential NFL Impacts (Updated!)

Charlotte may be far enough Inland but trust me can get !@#$ed up. One of the Hurricanes here 20 years ago got blackouts across my region I'm about 50 miles north of Charlotte and an additional 20 to 25 miles in lands through mountains.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't be a fake forecast. It's a forecast nothing more. Anyone can interpret the data and build a forecast. Forecasts in their own sense are probablity.

It can't be a fake forecast. It's a forecast nothing more. Anyone can interpret the data and build a forecast. Forecasts in their own sense are probablity.

clearly you've never seen me predict the winter... And all indications point to the north having a pretty rough one and down here down south it being very bad

To the OP:

You're looking at the US model (GFS) which isn't all that reliable that far out and is run every 6 hours with those model runs constantly changing. The European model (which is better but not perfect) has it possibly recurving northward and away from the US. Irma has taken a slight southwest dip which makes early trajectory forecasts difficult at this time. Most of my friends in the weather community think we're a good 24-48 hours away from really knowing what will happen with Irma and until that time frame passes most model guidance is essentially computer generated speculation. Case in point, if the cold shot of air we're supposed get midweek here in the northeast is timed right it may be enough to keep Irma from hitting the coast. If the timing is off, Irma could hit the coast, but we still won't know where for a few days.

This. Anything beyond day 5 from now is a guess / coin flip, regardless of model, although personally I would put a little more stock in the ECMWF models than the GFS. It's going to crush the Bahamas but in terms of US landfall it could be a just fish storm in the Atlantic or it could be a Cat 5 hitting the coast. It is still too soon to tell.

That said, even if BUF/CAR is moved due to weather, it's not going to be to Orchard Park. It would be a Monday Night game at a neutral site, i.e. Ford Field.

Edited by KevinInThe781

Given that I live in Fayetteville, NC, I hope that the hurricane goes somewhere else.

I'm also living in Fayetteville and haven't experienced a hurricane bad enough this far inland that would warrant moving the game. Been here since 1999!

Buffalo would not host the game.

The forecast now could have this off the Atlantic coast next werkrnd.

Charlotte is too far from the coadt yo have a major impact that would result in game being moved.

Miami, jacksonville, Tampa are places that a land falling hurticane could result in games needing to move the following weekend.

Don't be obtuse, it's right there in your headline: "Rare."

And I'll thank you for not referring to me as a "Charlotte Person." I lived in RTP for a number of years, not Charlotte. Charlotte is a bank branch that kept growing until they legally had to call it a "city." Literally every other part of NC is more interesting.

Quoted for truth.

There os No way to accurately track this hurricane in terms of landfall on the US until it starts dealing with the mountains in the Carribean.

And the location of the Bills game would be thr furthest thing on my mind watching what Irma is doing.

As a person living in FL for 25 years, I couldn't agree more. You'll drive yourself looking at models as there are too many factors that will contribute to it's trajectory. Wait til three days before and you get a better picture of it's possible path.

I'll give you an example. In 2004, Hurricane Charlie was pegged to give a direct hit to Tampa. Scariest time in my life as it was a tightly bound Cat5+ Hurricane with winds over 155 mph. We were preparing for South Tampa to completely under water as it is below sea level. I remember sitting in Home Depot for 8 hours the day before to wal up all the windows and doors. Well 40 minutes prior to hitting land it turned south by 100 miles and hit Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. It completely destroyed both cities.

This is why I don't even want to think about any benefit of another home game at the expense of Carolina. I'd rather say prayers it dissipates or downgrades to a tropical storm.

Sorry to be a downer, but unless you've ever been in a hurricane, they are the scariest things imaginable.

As a person living in FL for 25 years, I couldn't agree more. You'll drive yourself looking at models as there are too many factors that will contribute to it's trajectory. Wait til three days before and you get a better picture of it's possible path.

I'll give you an example. In 2004, Hurricane Charlie was pegged to give a direct hit to Tampa. Scariest time in my life as it was a tightly bound Cat5+ Hurricane with winds over 155 mph. We were preparing for South Tampa to completely under water as it is below sea level. I remember sitting in Home Depot for 8 hours the day before to wal up all the windows and doors. Well 40 minutes prior to hitting land it turned south by 100 miles and hit Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. It completely destroyed both cities.

This is why I don't even want to think about any benefit of another home game at the expense of Carolina. I'd rather say prayers it dissipates or downgrades to a tropical storm.

Sorry to be a downer, but unless you've ever been in a hurricane, they are the scariest things imaginable.

Yep. Heck look at last year. Matthew was going to destroy Central Florida ripping right accross it and stalling ala Harvey. Last minute turned up the coast with the eye never making landfall.

I lived in Eastern Carolina for 16 years. This storm still has a long way to go before it threatens the coast. Once it gets closer the experts will have a better sense where it is going. Charlotte is a long way inland and most likely wont stop a game. That being said, if it does, the game would be played somewhere other than Buffalo. There is numerous College stadiums within 200 miles along with NFL stadiums as well.

Amen, ive been through many in NC and Pensacola. I still own a home in NC. Hurricanes are terrible in every sense- see Houston as a recent example.

It's false reporting when people report that it definitevely will hit the Carolina's as a category 5, and there ARE places that are doing that...yeah, they have plenty of potential storm tracks, all of them different at this point.

I find it ironic these are the places that laugh at us when we get a few feet of snow, but then get buried by hurricanes that are far worse than what we deal with...

I spent 5 years living in South Florida and sat barricaded in my house through Wilma and Katrina.

When Katrina started ripping the steel storm panels off our house in Pompano beach I thought we were goners. Never had that feeling in a blizzard, and we've had some doozies here.

I will gladly face a blizzard each and every year before going through that again.

Edited by behind a post WMS69

Buffalo would not host the game.

The forecast now could have this off the Atlantic coast next werkrnd.

Charlotte is too far from the coadt yo have a major impact that would result in game being moved.

Miami, jacksonville, Tampa are places that a land falling hurticane could result in games needing to move the following weekend.

Charlotte likely sees challenges even if not extreme damages. You start getting into evacuating people from nearby locations and suddenly football creating traffic, eating up hotel rooms, filling flights, and so on can become something you just take out of the equation.

Sounds like Miami is going to have to move up their game... maybe to Saturday or even Friday

Or Thursday....

NFL considers moving Miami Dolphins-Tampa Bay Bucs opener due to Hurricane Irma

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/09/nfl_considers_moving_miami_dolphins-tampa_bay_bucs_opener_due_to_hurrican_irma.html

The NFL is considering moving the Dolphins-Bucs opener in Miami to another site or earlier this week because of the hurricane, a person familiar with the discussions said Monday. The person confirmed the discussions to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the league and teams aren't talking publicly about the options.

Switching the game to Thursday or Friday is being considered, the person said, because Irma could threaten South Florida over the weekend. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. EDT Sunday.

Playing the game at another site Sunday is also being discussed, the person said.

The teams share the same bye week in November, but would prefer to avoid moving the game to that weekend, because it would mean both teams would play 16 weeks in a row.