is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

Yea, so many people in this board claim McCoy was/is the life and soul of this offense.

Meanwhile the team went 3-2 when he's been out and didnt miss a beat in the ground game.

......and you don't have to hate McCoy as a player to realize it.

Lil' surprised KTD didn't realize that MG and Karlos did better than Shady in his absence.

Everyone got hung up on the one game sans McCoy......pre-Gillislee.....against the Giants early in the season when Karlos played poorly........but come to find out he was playing so badly concussed that he was out for A MONTH. :doh::lol:

I'd add Watkins before he got traded.

DUMB ASS TRADE. HORSE AINT DEAD YET.

I'd trade/cut Shady 10 times out of 10 over Watkins.

The biggest concern with the roster now has to be that half the team might be in retirement at this point next season.

They are going to be doing A LOT of roster churn again the next 2 offseasons..........and I personally don't want to hear the excuses if they aren't winning.

Don't tell me about your self-inflicted wounds.......show me the baby!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wuddabout 10-sack Shaq? :flirt:

I am going to create a new stat called a "Saq"........it will be slightly easier to get than a sack.

Shaq hasn't proven himself. Hopefully he does and if he does, I'll add him to the list.

Yea, so many people in this board claim McCoy was/is the life and soul of this offense.

Meanwhile the team went 3-2 when he's been out and didnt miss a beat in the ground game.

You sure you want to go down that road? Because the Bills were 2-6 in games Sammy played last year. And 5-3 in games he didn't.

Ok. Did you wring your hands when Sammy was traded?

Btw- The only one of those that I expect to see on the roster two years from now is Hughes.

Nope. I said well before the season started that he wasn't worth the 5th year option and I'd be hard-pressed to franchise him at the end of the season, much less give him a multi-year deal. But I didn't think they'd trade him.

I see Dareus on the team in 2 years. Shady probably not because he'll be easy to cut and have a $9M cap hit. Unless he has a great 2018.

I'd add Watkins before he got traded.

DUMB ASS TRADE. HORSE AINT DEAD YET.

I'd trade/cut Shady 10 times out of 10 over Watkins.

You'd be one of the few.

You can add me to that list. This is a full blown tear down/ rebuild job. I'll trade a 29 year old RB over a 24 year old Watkins every single time.

I can't see signing him for $12+M/year unless he had an amazing year. And in this offense, I just don't see that happening. And I also don't consider it a tear down/rebuild.

Lil' surprised KTD didn't realize that MG and Karlos did better than Shady in his absence.

Everyone got hung up on the one game sans McCoy......pre-Gillislee.....against the Giants early in the season when Karlos played poorly........but come to find out he was playing so badly concussed that he was out for A MONTH. :doh::lol:

The biggest concern with the roster now has to be that half the team might be in retirement at this point next season.

They are going to be doing A LOT of roster churn again the next 2 offseasons..........and I personally don't want to hear the excuses if they aren't winning.

There were several games when Shady was out the running game sucked. Giants. Titans. Jets. Or when he was hurt but still played and he did nothing and no one else did. Dolphins. Another Jet game. Can't remember others

You can add me to that list. This is a full blown tear down/ rebuild job. I'll trade a 29 year old RB over a 24 year old Watkins every single time.

Add me as well. I'd get rid of McCoy before Watkins any day of the week. I love McCoy, it's just...nonsensical to pretend he has a greater upside moving forward than Watkins.

I can't see signing him for $12+M/year unless he had an amazing year. And in this offense, I just don't see that happening. And I also don't consider it a tear down/rebuild.

I don't care what he would have been paid. The market is the market. Its not like this team is loaded with stars that will break the bank; the QBs make peanuts. There are something like 29 players on the current edition that weren't here in '16. Just six Whaley picks remain and 3 of those are from 2016 just a year ago. It would probably be 5 if trading / cutting Dareus was financial feasible. If that's not a teardown I'm not sure what would qualify.

Aren't all draft evaluations and criticisms in hindsight?

I know you hate Whaley, but a lot of his "gems" were part of a top 5 defense. His downfall, obviously, was his undying commitment to EJ Manuel. But how many GMs find their franchise QB on purpose? He deserves criticism, but if you think for one minute that Whaley is responsible for the current state of the team, I would respectfully disagree. Terry Pegula, and his hard on for Rex Ryan, is responsible.

This team, after Whaley's drafts, trades and acquisitions, was a QB away from being a powerhouse. And that, my friend, can be said for a lot of teams.

Answer: Nothing.

Even if you refuse to cast any blame on Whaley for the quarterback and head coach issues, his draft record is horrendous and he put this franchise in a horrible cap situation for the new front office - causing them to inherit a 5-6 win team on paper (at best).

Whaley did a very poor job overall.

Can we dispense with the hyperbole:

Lesean McCoy - Top 3 running back, likely future HoFer

Cordy Glenn - Above average LT

Richie Incognito - Perennial pro bowl guard

Eric Wood - Severely underrated here

Tyrod Taylor - Say what you want about him, but analytic sites call him vastly underrated, 47 tds to 15 ints (how many better have we had since Kelly, really)

Marcell Dareus - Sure he's got off-field issues, but when active he's one of the best DTs in the league

Kyle Williams - Ok, he's 34, but has the perennial pro bowler slowed down?

Jerry Hughes - Has had off years, but inarguably talented

Shaq Lawson - Considered by many to go as high as 11th last year in draft

Lorenzo Alexander - A ton of tackles, and third in the league in sacks

Tre'Davious White - Extremely promising rookie

Zay Jones - All-time NCAA Div I season and career leader in receptions

I'd also argue that Preston Brown is looking as he did in his rookie season, John Miller was PFF's most improved, Dion Dawkins had a hell of a spring, and Jordan Matthews has 200 more yards than Sammy in the same amount of time (is he the same potential talent, not by a longshot, but on a run-first team that led the league in rushing by 15 ypg, he's not nothing), and Charles Clay, while underwhelming so far, is not untalented.

Could this team have a disastrous year? Sure, but I don't really get this sudden rush to declare them one of the worst in a sea of truly awful teams this year. On paper, this looks like a team that should hover around the same .500 they do every year, and who could have an influx of talent in the upcoming years. Sometimes these teams catch lightning in a bottle, or something clicks. I mostly love what McDermott's been doing (save Ducasse-Miller battle) and am going into the season with an open mind.

However, to call this a low talent team is simply absurd.

Mods should have closed this thread after this post. It's all that needs to be said.

“Williams is the team’s most likely replacement for Mike Gillislee…A fifth-round pick last year, Williams is in a quietly terrific spot at the moment.”
(BSPN, April 24)
“…the No. 2 job is clearly Williams’ to lose. Underdrafted…Williams is also talented enough to take advantage of the role which netted Gillislee 110 touches last season”
(Buffalo News, May 30.)
Jonathan Williams’ “development will be KEY to our success moving forward.”
(Head Coach Sean McDermott, Jun 13)

I had hoped the BS levels would drop with Rex Ryan’s departure. Misleading indeed

We had a good D and a bad O so we brought in Rex and we turned a good D into a bad D and a bad O into an improving O.

We bring in Beanie and Cecil and turn a bad D into an improving D and an improving O into a bad O.

Why not just fix what was broken and leave what wasn't broken alone?

As far as JWill. Hopefully the RBs they kept because of special teams are on the punt coverage unit because we will be punting a lot more with JWill gone. 5.8 YPC vs 3.3 and you drop the 5.8 because of special teams? Too much thinking went into that bonehead move.

It's truly amazing how a thread about the fate of a released backup RB (who has yet to be picked up) has transgressed into a few people who would have traded Shady (1623 yards from scrimmage in 2016) instead of Watkins (430 yards from scrimmage in 2016). At least it took 46 pages to get there...

“Williams is the team’s most likely replacement for Mike Gillislee…A fifth-round pick last year, Williams is in a quietly terrific spot at the moment.”
(BSPN, April 24)
“…the No. 2 job is clearly Williams’ to lose. Underdrafted…Williams is also talented enough to take advantage of the role which netted Gillislee 110 touches last season”
(Buffalo News, May 30.)
Jonathan Williams’ “development will be KEY to our success moving forward.”
(Head Coach Sean McDermott, Jun 13)

I had hoped the BS levels would drop with Rex Ryan’s departure. Misleading indeed

Try to find a quote inside of 3 months brah. There have been many practices and a few PS games since those. Old news.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

He would've had a big year. And that new rookie QB next year sure could use a WR like Watkins.

As boatdrinks said, trading a 29 YO RB with a lot of mileage is a no brainer over a 24 YO stud WR.

I'm no Whaley fan, but how do you figure 5 to 6 win roster when they won 7 last year with dumb and dumber as coaches and threw the last game of the year?

They won 7 games last year despite a poor head coach and defensive coaching staff because they faced one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and the offensive system fit the personnel (quarterback) extremely well. Plus the OLine and Shady stayed relatively healthy for most of the (if not the entire) season.

Going into this season they were forced to say goodbye to a top corner (Gilmore) and their second-best wide receiver (Woods) because of the poor salary cap management.

We have to assume the Bills tried to trade him before releasing him. No takers.

Then they placed him on waivers. No takers.

It seems like the NFL doesn't view JW quite as positively as most Bills fans.

I am actually really surprised there was not a claim put in for a Young RB on a 5th round Rookie Deal.

Specially a team like KC that has nothing in that backfield right now, makes me wonder more and more now if he is facing a suspension.

I am actually really surprised there was not a claim put in for a Young RB on a 5th round Rookie Deal.

Specially a team like KC that has nothing in that backfield right now, makes me wonder more and more now if he is facing a suspension.

Is this like the Kyle Williams retirement thing?

Is this like the Kyle Williams retirement thing?

Aren't you witty?

Easy to post tweets and other peoples thoughts though maybe I should just do that with a majority of my Message board posts

Edited by MAJBobby