National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

the system is the socio economic system. Not the justice system. *high five*. We agree!

I think both systems are intertwined and very much relevant. The socio-economic system and criminal justice system definitely affect each other all the time.

Regardless, in the context of football, whether it's this system or that system or both or neither, whether they're protesting racial inequality or the reasonableness of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as a deity, a person retains their right to nonviolent, free expression.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the justice system does not favor white people. The justice system favors wealth.

Wealth and white are not synonyms.

I give everyone the opportunity to make their case, or to explain their point or purpose.

Ehhhhhhhhh, I'm undecided on this one.

that does not remove the legalities of requiring one to stand. It is subtle and different. I am afraid I don't have time right now nor is this the place to discuss it but it's an interesting whole hooplah

The way I understand it is that the "law" you're referring to is a more of a guideline and nothing that can actually be enforced by law.

Here's a quote from a sumpreme court justice from that Supreme Court case I linked earlier -

“If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein,” said Justice Robert Jackson.

Here's another article addressing it if you're interested -

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/does-the-united-states-or-other-countries-compel-national-anthem-etiquette

'In the United States legal code, there are statutes that apply to flag etiquette, the Pledge of Allegiance, and the National Anthem. Currently, these statutes don’t include language that would make it a criminal offense to disobey the guidelines, but the rules are widely followed.'

And another article -

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/colin-kaepernick-breaking-the-law-not-standing-for-the-national-anthem/cRjlkGqATbYZT3S3AkzJGK/

'So does it, and what’s the penalty if I don’t stand?

No, it doesn't. Section 171 does not specify nor impose penalties for violating the section of the code. According to a Congressional Research Service report to Congress in 2008, “The Flag Code is a codification of customs and rules established for the use of certain civilians and civilian groups. No penalty or punishment is specified in the Flag Code for display of the flag of the United States in a manner other than as suggested. Cases ... have concluded that the Flag Code does not proscribe conduct, but is merely declaratory and advisory."

In other words, the Flag Code serves as a guide, and it is followed on a voluntary basis. You won't be forced to stand for the National Anthem, nor hauled off to jail if you don't. Cases brought because of something in the code -- mainly ones that involve defacing the flag -- have made their way to the U.S. Supreme Court where the justices have upheld that such conduct is protected by the First Amendment.

There are no provisions in the code for either enforcement nor penalties. '

The way I understand it is that the "law" you're referring to is a more of a guideline and nothing that can actually be enforced by law.

Here's a quote from a sumpreme court justice from that Supreme Court case I linked earlier -

If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein, said Justice Robert Jackson.

Here's another article addressing it if you're interested -

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/does-the-united-states-or-other-countries-compel-national-anthem-etiquette

'In the United States legal code, there are statutes that apply to flag etiquette, the Pledge of Allegiance, and the National Anthem. Currently, these statutes dont include language that would make it a criminal offense to disobey the guidelines, but the rules are widely followed.'

And another article -

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/colin-kaepernick-breaking-the-law-not-standing-for-the-national-anthem/cRjlkGqATbYZT3S3AkzJGK/

'So does it, and whats the penalty if I dont stand?

No, it doesn't. Section 171 does not specify nor impose penalties for violating the section of the code. According to a Congressional Research Service report to Congress in 2008, The Flag Code is a codification of customs and rules established for the use of certain civilians and civilian groups. No penalty or punishment is specified in the Flag Code for display of the flag of the United States in a manner other than as suggested. Cases ... have concluded that the Flag Code does not proscribe conduct, but is merely declaratory and advisory."

In other words, the Flag Code serves as a guide, and it is followed on a voluntary basis. You won't be forced to stand for the National Anthem, nor hauled off to jail if you don't. Cases brought because of something in the code -- mainly ones that involve defacing the flag -- have made their way to the U.S. Supreme Court where the justices have upheld that such conduct is protected by the First Amendment.

There are no provisions in the code for either enforcement nor penalties. '

yes, but like many strange things in this country it's still a law. A dumb one. But it's law.

My take is if it's not in the Constitution it shouldn't exist.

I'd also love to revoke the 19th. Many here posting would be affected.

I think both systems are intertwined and very much relevant. The socio-economic system and criminal justice system definitely affect each other all the time.

Regardless, in the context of football, whether it's this system or that system or both or neither, whether they're protesting racial inequality or the reasonableness of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as a deity, a person retains their right to nonviolent, free expression.

can we agree the system that doesn't work at all is Rex Ryan's?

I'm sensing some people on here are claiming to be social justice warriors just so they can give themselves a moral pat on the back for fighting their perceived good fight.

You mean like how people who had watched football for decades suddenly realized five years ago how offended they were by the Washington Redskins?

Ehhhhhhhhh, I'm undecided on this one.

Then I'll leave it to you to explain what inherent feature of blacks makes them incapable of accumulating wealth, what inherent feature of whites makes them extra-capable of accumulating wealth, and finally how so many extra-capable whites find themselves in poverty, and so many incapable blacks become wealthy?

There are technically codes containing requirements for keeping displayed flags "properly illuminated" or something like that, but I don't think they have any legal teeth.

Yes you should not display the flag at night without it being lit up

can we agree the system that doesn't work at all is Rex Ryan's?

It's just so complex that it's above us all. If the NFL ever changes to have 12 men on the field, then he'll be considered a visionary ahead of his time.

Cameron Jefferson plays OT like he's got one arm in the air. Should have been cut weeks ago for suck.

:lol: