National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying there is, but I am saying he's got the freedom to wear them.

Then I asked if it was just a picture of a pig with no police reference, if that would still be offensive?

He has the right to do whatever he wants. Pigs w/o a reference to police, why would it be offensive?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Then why is it when a candidate Human Resources people have never met named Rashida or Kenisha is far, far less likely to get interviewed or the job than the exact same candidate named Barb or Jane?

I quickly noted that when people would want to see a property for rent or purchase and only introduce themselves over the phone as "Ms Johnson" or "Mrs Jones", their first name was generally NOT Barb or Jane. I didn't give a rip, these were usually very accomplished and qualified candidates, but it happened so often it had to be real on some level.

While I 100% have no problem with Colin Kaep, just one thing to keep in mind: the 1st amendment that so many people here keep bringing up doesnt necessarily apply to the workplace. The NFL is a private employer. Kaep and Jefferson are on company time inside of an NFL stadium, wearing an NFL uniform. You cant just say 1st amendment. Its not that simple.

Nothing has been turned on me, and can't be turned on me as I didn't participate in those conversations, and there are no "tactics". This isn't a military operation, it's a conversation. Someone is over thinking this...

You are using lots of words, to accomplish nothing of substance. I find that fascinating in and of itself. I applaud you on what seems like intense thought on a meaningless topic though.

Says the poster who goes back and edits his comment...

I guess I'd recommend you stay out of conversations with big words, but I'll defend your right to do otherwise. Satisfied?

Kelly the Dog, on 01 Sept 2017 - 4:27 PM, said:snapback.png

Then why is it when a candidate Human Resources people have never met named Rashida or Kenisha is far, far less likely to get interviewed or the job than the exact same candidate named Barb or Jane?

Wait, now name discrimination is the problem? This is getting exciting.

Of course it has nothing to do with innate ability.

Here in the United States, there are no racial barriers to accumulating wealth. The problems are cultural and socio-economic, which isn't to say, of course, that there weren't racial barriers in the past. There undeniably were, and the legacy of slavery and later Jim Crow certainly impacts the starting point of black Americans today.

With that said, we've erased those institutional barriers, and what is left boils down to individual decision making, and those decisions have incredibly meaningful intergeneration impacts. Like wealth, poverty is a gift you can give to your children.

The three leading causes of intergenerational poverty in America are, in order: single motherhood, not graduating from high school, and not holding a job. You'll note that the rates of these three behaviors are massive in the black community; and racist white people are not the reason large amounts black Americans are failing in these areas. Black Americans are not worse, or less intelligent, and they have agency. They are perfectly capable of making their own good decisions.

Black men and women do not need to be having children out of wedlock at a rate 72%, and the fact that they do isn't the fault of white people, nor is the fact that only 59% of black males graduate from high school. This is a cultural problem, and cannot be solved by white people for black people.

I would argue that not being able to vote is an institutional barrier. Pick your year, 1870? --When black males could hypothetically vote. It's not like half the nation put in state laws to prevent this from happening, right? Or even 1965, when LBJ made it possible for universal black suffrage. A 200-300 year head start in wealth accumulation is hard to overcome. And given that policy generally affects or creates the socio-economic classes, it's a tough hand to overcome.

I'm with Nucci.

As long as they are not doing anything disrespectful who cares.

The media covering (and us discussing it) seems like a waste of time over a non story.

And to Nuccis point: out of the 65,000 fans in RWS on any Sunday I would say about 12,500 are either talking, wearing a hat, or sitting. Should we start berating them?

The backlash was related to Kaepernick's commentary, and then people started choosing a side and the line became blurred.

I think Kaepernick sitting and then saying the following was using the national anthem, and the NFL as a pedestal to push an agenda that isn't remotely true of the country or of the police. That is originally why people were upset. Then it started getting all messy.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Edited by What a Tuel

Says the poster who goes back and edits his comment...

I guess I'd recommend you stay out of conversations with big words, but I'll defend your right to do otherwise. Satisfied?

Oh I've offended thee...I'm SOOO sorry. I know editing my posts to correct grammar makes me a bad person, again, I apologize.

One thing to keep in mind, you started this line of conversation, you have now become upset over your own actions.

Maybe we can all agree on this. My older daughter sent an audition tape to OBD to sing the anthem. She just graduated with her BFA in music theater and has a beautiful classic soprano voice. Think Julie Andrews. She would consider it an honor to sing the Anthem (and an all time Bills highlight for dad), she sings it the way it was written, and when she has sung it at different events it brings tears to people's eyes. And if folks didn't stand or whatever she would understand.

So how about it board? Everyone let OBD know the girl from Indiana that's a huge Bills fan should get her shot!

Maybe we can all agree on this. My older daughter sent an audition tape to OBD to sing the anthem. She just graduated with her BFA in music theater and has a beautiful classic soprano voice. Think Julie Andrews. She would consider it an honor to sing the Anthem (and an all time Bills highlight for dad), she sings it the way it was written, and when she has sung it at different events it brings tears to people's eyes. And if folks didn't stand or whatever she would understand.

So how about it board? Everyone let OBD know the girl from Indiana that's a huge Bills fan should get her shot!

Depends, will she stand during it?

So published studies in scientific journals and from the University of Chicago are not good enough for you? And all I did was click on the first two entries in a list of numerous ones.

Cultural familiarity is not racism. I would pick James over Johanes or Svetlana every time.