Why isn't Groy starting at RG

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems I recall last year during the pre-season the O-line was playing just as bad and everyone was in a panic then too, then the regular season started and everything was fine. Guess I'll wait till the regular season starts before I worry about it again.

Not quite true. The starters were okay last pre-season the backups looked awful but then CK and Groy played well when called on. I think the thing this year is Glenn has missed time, which has meant Dawkins at LT some and Ducasse has played for reasons best known to someone else.

I don't get it either. Either start him at center and play wood at guard or Vic's versa. Can one really be a good center and a bad guard?

Jim Ritcher was an Outland Trophy winner at Center but couldn't play it in NFL and moved to Guard

If you ask me he is a Incognito replacement

So replace Miller in the meantime!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Groy didn't play well at all in the preseason at guard last year....it's coming back to me now.

I remember when he made the team, I was shocked because he was terrible in preseason. Then he filled in at center....pretty good.

I thought Groy would be Wood's replacement next year....well then Wood signed a 2 year extension.

Don't recall that but then start Groy at center and put Wood at RG. Miller and Ducasse suck.

Guys I dont even understand the concept of replacing Miller.....he has actually played well for us

This.

Ive been saying this Miller is solid at RG and the best we have on the roster. Its castillo and ducacrap that need to be cut ese.

Edited by Marty McFly

Not tanking: get rid of all good young talent.

Not purging: get rid of all Whaley players.

Not looking to trade: trade everybody.

Rags is doing what he needs to do to get better, his best football is ahead of him: traded next day.

We want to win now: trade a player for a 2019 pick.

If you ask me he is a Incognito replacement

Agreed. Richie's cap hit swells to $7.575 million after this season with only a modest $1.15 million dead cap hit if he is cut. This is probably his last year in Buffalo. Save nearly $6.5 million and slide Groy in at LG.

Agreed. Richie's cap hit swells to $7.575 million after this season with only a modest $1.15 million dead cap hit if he is cut. This is probably his last year in Buffalo. Save nearly $6.5 million and slide Groy in at LG.

How much money would these nerds save if they cut the whole team except Wood?

Edited by 4merper4mer

Richie has been solid at LG and amazing how well behaved he is. I think the penalties are for trying to cover LT problems without Glenn. I would want to keep him as long as he plays at a high level and he stays in great condition , injury free.

Guys I dont even understand the concept of replacing Miller.....he has actually played well for us

I know!I wouldn't go as far to say that he's top 10 in the league, but he was very serviceable for us last year. The idea that Vlad the Impaled-by-blitz somehow even began a competition shocked me, never mind that he somehow won it...and continues to win it.

I don't believe the competition between Miller and Ducasse is as close as it's being made out to be. Competition is healthy, and keeps players from getting complacent. Miller is entering his 3rd year in the NFL, and hasn't really had a true threat to his position on the roster in his first two years, so presenting a threat to his position is a smart psychlogical move (as well as a smart depth move) by the coaches at this stage of Miller's career. Ducasse has familiarity with the line coach, so there's at least some merit to him being a perceived threat.

But Miller has several starts under his belt, with pretty much the same cast along the line, and continuity on the line is a big factor. He's split reps along side Wood and Groy (after Wood went down), and Miller looked consistent regardless of who his center was. Groy seems to be a much better center than guard, so perhaps the coaches would rather keep him available in the event that Wood goes down again, and give Ducasse extra reps at guard in order to build some cohesion with his new linemates, in the even that Miller misses time again, which also pushes Miller to step his game up.

I think it's a good coaching strategy, more for the mental aspect of it. Maybe it is more of a competition than I believe it to be. We'll find out very soon.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Richie has been solid at LG and amazing how well behaved he is. I think the penalties are for trying to cover LT problems without Glenn. I would want to keep him as long as he plays at a high level and he stays in great condition , injury free.

...sure as hell keep him around.....kid has turned it around as is a stalwart on the OL.......