Greg Garbriel: On What the Bills Are Trying To Do

This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

I've watched football on TV my whole life, and was pretty good at Tecmo in my day, and I only needed to get halfway through the first quarter of Preseason Game 3 to know McDermott is is a failure, Beane is a fool, and Pegula is a horrible, horrible owner.

You'll see. You'll ALL see. Then I will return and say "I told you so."

Amen.

TIMMAH!!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be some smart, calculated moves by this regime that make sense (Darby, Ragland), but I believe that the approach will also yield some moves that end up being big-time failures.

Not just getting rid of an elite talent like Sammy, but the "scheme fit" stuff will result in guys like Ducasse playing ahead of more capable players.

It's too early for any kind of diagnosis (let alone conclusion), and so I truly hope that this FO crew doesn't become the type that is so married to their scheme that they perpetually miss the forest for the trees.

I've watched football on TV my whole life, and was pretty good at Tecmo in my day, and I only needed to get halfway through the first quarter of Preseason Game 3 to know McDermott is is a failure, Beane is a fool, and Pegula is a horrible, horrible owner.

Amen.

Best Troll post ever... I hope it is.

Gabriel as a personnel guy is going to back up the Bills. It remains to be seen whether they'll (McDermott & Beane) be the best since Butler and Levy as he proclaims, but they sure as hell will own it one way or the other.

That's right 26. They will have no one to blame but themselves if it fails as it will be largely all their picks, acquisitions .

There will be some smart, calculated moves by this regime that make sense (Darby, Ragland), but I believe that the approach will also yield some moves that end up being big-time failures.

Not just getting rid of an elite talent like Sammy, but the "scheme fit" stuff will result in guys like Ducasse playing ahead of more capable players.

It's too early for any kind of diagnosis (let alone conclusion), and so I truly hope that this FO crew doesn't become the type that is so married to their scheme that they perpetually miss the forest for the trees.

Even if *Gasp* Ducasse gets chosen over Miller, what are the odds that Ducasse remains the starter beyond this season? I would say slight to none.

Some of us have said this from the start.

Yes, a small minority of us did say this from the start.

The vocal majority hated the whole thing, right from the start.

That's how you know the plan is a good one and has a real chance of succeeding.

:lol:

Amen.

I totally agree. Anybody who's watched other teams' third preseason games can easily see how bad the Bills are even if they won't admit. The 2017 Bills are reminiscent of the worst of Jauron's teams ... and maybe even as bad as the utterly uncompetitive of teams from the late1970s or the mid/late 1980s. They are pathetic.

I understand what they think they are doing, but I don't agree with all of the moves. It will all hinge on the talent evaluators heading into the draft and whether Beane/McDermott can sell people on what we're doing here in Buffalo to get free agents in here. We shall see.

I've known Greg for over forty years, he worked really hard. I was sitting on the beach with him and family the year Losman was named as the starting QB. My brother said to Greg that his teenage son was really pulling for Losman, Greg told him to prepare to be disappointed.

I totally agree. Anybody who's watched other teams' third preseason games can easily see how bad the Bills are even if they won't admit. The 2017 Bills are reminiscent of the worst of Jauron's teams ... and maybe even as bad as the utterly uncompetitive of teams from the late1970s or the mid/late 1980s. They are pathetic.

Awesome!

Don Shula believed in the run game with the Dolphins in the 70's and early 80's until he got Dan Marino. He then completely abandoned that philosophy to embrace the passing game and take advantage of his star QB. It's not about adherence to any particular scheme IMO, get talented players and adapt as necessary to maximize the talent on hand.

I've known Greg for over forty years, he worked really hard. I was sitting on the beach with him and family the year Losman was named as the starting QB. My brother said to Greg that his teenage son was really pulling for Losman, Greg told him to prepare to be disappointed.

:lol:

:cry:

This is not rocket science. We don't need to psychology break this down. Sean wants his own type of players to match his scheme and character expectations. So be prepared to buy A lot of jerseys with different names....the only way this rebuild & new culture will work is to give McB 5 full years!

Even if *Gasp* Ducasse gets chosen over Miller, what are the odds that Ducasse remains the starter beyond this season? I would say slight to none.

I don't know...they gave him a 3-year deal when I doubt anyone was bringing him in much before training camp.

Like I said, I'm not making conclusions, but the way that they're treating the Miller/Ducasse battle is an indicator that they may be missing the forest for the trees when it comes to the idea of scheme fit.

I get what Gabriel is saying, but I just don't get what exactly McD and Beane trying to do. They say they want to win now, but in the preseason, trade away three players. Did they all of a sudden have a change in philosophy and realize they can't win now and should try to rebuild? If so, they're starting way too late and are doing a half-azzed job of rebuilding.

I don't know...they gave him a 3-year deal when I doubt anyone was bringing him in much before training camp.

Like I said, I'm not making conclusions, but the way that they're treating the Miller/Ducasse battle is an indicator that they may be missing the forest for the trees when it comes to the idea of scheme fit.

I personally wouldn't read too much into it. I am fairly certain that this position will be addressed by next year.

I personally wouldn't read too much into it. I am fairly certain that this position will be addressed by next year.

And that's my issue...why create a hole where one didn't previously exist?

Miller played well in 2016--the run game was excellent. I fear that moves like Miller/Watkins are unnecessarily propelling the team backwards for the sake of bringing in "their guys".

Perhaps it'll be for the best in the long run; right now that's (highly) debatable IMO.

They say they want to win now, but in the preseason, trade away three players. Did they all of a sudden have a change in philosophy and realize they can't win now and should try to rebuild? If so, they're starting way too late and are doing a half-azzed job of rebuilding.

It's a lie. Nothing in the article that we didn't already know. It's no different than when Rex took over. We just wish McDermott would adapt a little to the players, particularly on offense. In these days of mediocrity in the NFL, the talk about the talent on this team not being at a "playoff team" level is nonsense. Twelve teams of 32 make the playoffs!!! That shouldn't be a very high bar to meet.