Greg Garbriel: On What the Bills Are Trying To Do

With respect to the second highlighted segment any organization that makes a lot transactions is not going to have all of them work out. That's the nature of the business. If you want to be fixated on the Watkins transaction and then make it your basis for criticizing everything that has transpired now and in the future then go ahead and allow it to affect your judgment on everything else they are doing. That's your prerogative. The reality is that what is happening here with the new regime is more of the standard course of action than nonstandard course of action.

While you loudly and repeatedly proclaim that what is being done is not going to work this organization is putting itself in a very good positon to eventually make what they are doing work. How are they going to do that? By putting themselves in a very good position to draft a high end qb prospect in next year's draft. You and I for years have exasperatingly taken the same stance that this moronic organization has irrationally not seriously addressed the qb position. Now that they are putting themselves in a good position to do so you complain that you wouldn't do it the way they are doing it. Who cares how it is going to be done as long as it gets done?

You and your distraught followers want instant gratification with immediate results. You are not going to get it because when you are handed garbage it takes time to clean out the smelly trash. This is a rebuild and it is going to take time. In my mind doing the spade work is better than spinning one's wheels for a generation or more and still get nowhere.

You and I are riding the same horse. :thumbsup:

I disagree with the bolded part of your post. The team McBeane inherited was flawed, but certainly not garbage.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically it's we don't care if the old regime drafted some good or really talented football players, anything that has to do with them, even if there was some good things, is expendable?

Seems a little over the top to me but what's done is done.

More like, "hey, they got a playmaker but paid a lot for him. He hasn't produced the way they wanted and we likely won't be able to retain him so let's see if we can get a good deal for him and get some picks to hopefully fill his spot in the next year or two".

Just my take.

I'm 50/50 on the sammy trade but he's not the type of player that will take over a game like other WR's (if he had a different QB, that might be different, but that's what they are trading the farm for).

Edited by The Wiz

So basically it's we don't care if the old regime drafted some good or really talented football players, anything that has to do with them, even if there was some good things, is expendable?

Seems a little over the top to me but what's done is done.

Which players drafted by the old regime(s) have proven without question to be stone-cold, rock solid NFL players?

Looking at last year's roster, I'd say Gilmore (though some would debate that), the ancient Kyle Williams, and the usually healthy Cordy Glenn. Not a one from any of Lil Doug's boards.

Edited by Rico

Why did these coaches settle on a scheme that few of the players fit into?

Practically no one fits the new offense so they are basically going to have to start from scratch there over the next two or three years.

And on defense people say that the a Bills have 4-3 personnel because of the DL. But what happens next year when K Williams retires and Dareus gets dumped? Still 4-3 personnel? They don't have 4-3 LBs and dumped Darby and Gilmore to get zone corner backs. I suspect at least 3/4 of the defense will be rebuilt over then next 3 years as well.

Edited by vincec

Essentially the new guys got her and pulled a Mike Singletary "can't win with em, can't do it" Perhaps the reason the trades were made so late in the offseason is an indication that McBeane attempted to make it work. At some point they decided to go in another direction entirely. As someone who has been calling for an attitude change in the locker room it's a refreshing start.

It's hard to get excited about trading away potential pieces for picks but there has been plenty of hints that the players themselves were not innocent in the Ryan clown show. An SI writer is mocking Whaley and his post draft presser, not for the picks but for the answers he gave. That says volumes. Even guys who were distanced from the team and it's doing had a feel for how much fail was going on.

Clean it out. Adopt the BB no nonsense approach and hopefully start winning some games. Will the Pegula's remain patient and see this through? I think so. I think they were advised on these hires and allowing them to clean up the mess.

Successful teams build around foundational players. The quarterback, of course is most important and the hardest piece to acquire. The other foundation players are usually offensive linemen , defensive line, or linebackers.

The Bills haven't had the most important pillar since Kelly.

Great Wide receivers are very entertaining, but only a few take on leadership roles. Plus they only touch the ball a few times a game.

Few running backs last long enough to fill this role either.

So I can see why a new coach would do what he feels is necessary to get a franchise qb and some core players that he can count on. All the other players come and go anyway.

Successful teams build around foundational players. The quarterback, of course is most important and the hardest piece to acquire. The other foundation players are usually offensive linemen , defensive line, or linebackers.

The Bills haven't had the most important pillar since Kelly.

Great Wide receivers are very entertaining, but only a few take on leadership roles. Plus they only touch the ball a few times a game.

Few running backs last long enough to fill this role either.

So I can see why a new coach would do what he feels is necessary to get a franchise qb and some core players that he can count on. All the other players come and go anyway.

Great WRs only tough the ball a few times per game? Not true in today's NFL with teams throwing so much.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Watkins is a stud when given the opportunities.... despite Bills fans doing all they can to deny this.

He's definitely shown flashes of greatness. A few months ago, I was an advocate for keeping him & seeing if he could earn his next contract, and I was truly shocked when he was traded.... but looking at the way this is all playing out, I have no problem with him being gone. Onward and upward!

McBeane will be considered a success if one of the following things happens:

1) Tyrod steps up and becomes the franchise

2) Peterman steps up and becomes the franchise

3) The QB they draft in round 1 next year steps up and becomes the franchise

That's it. If they can build a formidable defense they might get a chance for option 4, which is just a redo of option 3.

PLAYOFFS

Beane was hired after the draft. The one lingering stench of Whaley remaining was trading back up twice in 2017. Sure we finally got an extra 1 after initially trading down, but we also gave up several picks to move back up in the 2nd and 3rd. Looking at this roster right now, I kind of think I would rather have an extra 3 guys under contract for 4 years than the moves up.

I dont know if McBean will turn this franchise around. But I sure as hell know this team has had moves up backfire more in this drought than payoff. So I will give the accumulate picks strategy a chance, its a real change. I'll have to reserve judgement until after the the 2018 draft. Then we can criticize if we dont agree with it.

The 18 draft will make or break the carolina duo. I've said this before and always will, I would take half this board armed with 5 draft magazines and some websites over our front office during this millennium. Could they do worse? I really doubt it. Here's hoping Beane knows what he is doing.

I don't have any qualms about the guys we traded, much like Gabriel said, it was either not a scheme fit (Ragland/Darby) or can't stay healthy (Watkins), I fully believe with time this regime will get us on track but it wont be overnight, they need to purge all of Whaley's wrong doing and the first order of business is what do we do with this Dareus contract? The guy clearly can't help himself and I feel this guy is going to get kicked out of the league soon, can we trade and purge his contract? What can we get in return? After that a suitable MLB, a game changing WR, LeSean Mccoy replacement, an Oline replacemtn for Incognito/Miller, Mismatch TE, 2 OLB, another S opposite Hyde, franchise QB, That is alot of need there.

Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champs 2020 :thumbsup:

Seriously though. The 20's could be our decade like the 90's were. Brady will be gone and the division will be ripe for the picking. We need to draft right, the way we did in the mid to late 80's. We had 2 firsts the year we drafted Jim. Coincidence?

IMO, he has at least identified correctly what is happening at OBD. whether fans agree its the right way to go or that the McBeanes are the ones to do it is an open question, but these are the guys Pegs decided to go with to replace Rexy and his crazy unplayable 3-4 defense, so thats at least a start