Greg Garbriel: On What the Bills Are Trying To Do

@buffsportspage

Greg Gabriel: Understanding What The Bills Are Trying To Do - Buffalo Sports Page

Over the last few weeks, after the Bills traded Sammy Watkins, Ron Darby and now Reggie Ragland…I have seen numerous comments by fans (mostly on Twitter) mentioning their dislike for the moves and asking “Why are the Bills getting rid of all their good players?”

Having spent most of my adult life working in football I totally understand why Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane are doing what they are doing. But I also know and understand why some fans would be confused.

First, let’s look at the recent history of the Bills. Sean McDermott is the third Head Coach the Bills have had in four seasons. Each coach has his own way of doing things. He hires coordinators who come close to meeting that philosophy, as far as the style of play they want the players taught.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Berdard is on the radio and he is a belliver in Beane and McD. He thinks the Bills will be better by addition by subtraction. He went into detail about how flawed the organization was under Whaley.

He called Whaley after Doug coined Ragland and Lawson as day one starters and asked him how he was going to explain that to the veterans of the team. He said that statement in itself showed how flawed their thinking was at OBD.

I'm a fan of Greg Gabriel, I think he's one of the better one's around at what he does.

A few points that I found to be interesting:

On Darby:

There are many players who fit very nicely into one scheme, but just can’t play in another. It’s often because they don’t physically meet the criteria the coaches are looking for.
In the case of Darby, he is a good man cover guy but can struggle in zone and he lacks top ball skills. In the Bills new scheme ball skills and zone coverage skills are very important to play the position the way the coaches want it played.

On Ragland:

At the Mike (middle) linebacker position, athleticism and instincts are premium traits wanted by the coaches. Ragland has very average athletic ability and lacks top instincts. He is more of a reactor than an anticipator. He was traded to Kansas City where he more closely fits what they ask their inside linebackers to do.

The player who won the Mike job, Preston Brown, may also not be a great fit. But he is a better fit than Ragland. This is a position that the Bills may still try to upgrade next year in either free agency or the Draft.

Sammy:

With Sammy Watkins, it was not a case of physical fit but rather durability and sign-ability. Watkins has not lived up to his draft status because he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. The new Bills regime would rather develop their own players at the position than pay a premium for a guy who has had trouble staying on the field and playing to his draft value.

McD and Beane:

Next spring in free agency and again in the Draft. The players you see the Bills sign or draft will more closely fit the plan. It will be an ongoing process that can’t be done overnight. One of the reasons clubs have success in the NFL is continuity and that is something that the Buffalo Bills have not had in recent years. My feeling is that the current Bills coaching staff and front office is the best the Bills have had since Marv Levy and John Butler were partners as coach and GM.

Give this group a chance, they have the talent to turn the franchise around but it will take time. I don’t see the Bill making the playoffs in 2017 but if the right kind of player acquisitions can be made, 2018 could be a very good year for the Buffalo Bills.

Greg Berdard is on the radio and he is a belliver in Beane and McD. He thinks the Bills will be better by addition by subtraction. He went into detail about how flawed the organization was under Whaley.

He called Whaley after Doug coined Ragland and Lawson as day one starters and asked him how he was going to explain that to the veterans of the team. He said that statement in itself showed how flawed their thinking was at OBD.

what about the anonymous player from 20 years ago though?

This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

I've watched football on TV my whole life, and was pretty good at Tecmo in my day, and I only needed to get halfway through the first quarter of Preseason Game 3 to know McDermott is is a failure, Beane is a fool, and Pegula is a horrible, horrible owner.

You'll see. You'll ALL see. Then I will return and say "I told you so."

Amen.

I've watched football on TV my whole life, and was pretty good at Tecmo in my day, and I only needed to get halfway through the first quarter of Preseason Game 3 to know McDermott is is a failure, Beane is a fool, and Pegula is a horrible, horrible owner.

Amen.

TIRED TAKE DUDE

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Amen.

:lol:

You crack me up man!

I respect Gabriel and give regard to his opinions. I understand what they were doing with re to Watkins, but would have took the gamble for the potential payoff. Scheme fits makes sense. In a nutshell we all know what the Bills are doing here with this purge. It's a tear down/ rebuild although the FO hasn't come out and said it. Theyve thrown out drivel about winning now, but that is highly unlikely to happen.

We can disagree on if it will be an effective strategy as it places so much stress on great drafting and landing key FA guys. We don't know if these guys are great at that. I'd say Gabriel's thought on 2018 is an awfully rosy assessment . This thing may not produce a " good season " until 2019 or further.

Edited by Boatdrinks