Syracuse Hoops 2017-2018

inkman

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am having some major nightmares about this game on Sunday. I distinctly remember getting crushed in the sweet 16 by Michigan State in Detroit in 2000.

I think that was the year where Mo Pete and Mateen Cleaves took them to the title. They shot like over 70% from the field against our zone.

I'm actually expecting a loss tomorrow. I was realistically expecting a loss last night, but Syracuse played much better than they did Wednesday. If by some miracle they win, it'd be pretty impressive for a team that has looked absolutely horrendous at times 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I'm actually expecting a loss tomorrow. I was realistically expecting a loss last night, but Syracuse played much better than they did Wednesday. If by some miracle they win, it'd be pretty impressive for a team that has looked absolutely horrendous at times 

I don't think anybody is expecting a Syracuse win outside of the players in the locker room 

but Syracuse has 2 Freshmen in Brissett and Dolezaj that are peaking at the right time , combine that with hopefully a hot Tyus Battle and a upperclassmen in Howard and maybe they make it a dog fight 

its still syracuse

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Haha— you’re looking at him like Dirk 2.0!! 

Lmao that's what I thought lol

if only Dolezaj was 7'0 like Dirk!

you gotta admit JR that Doles jumper has REALLY improved 

great form and touch 

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lmao that's what I thought lol

if only Dolezaj was 7'0 like Dirk!

you gotta admit JR that Doles jumper has REALLY improved 

great form and touch 

Absolutely. 

I can totally see him over over the next 2 years developing a great jumper and even a little post game. Plus, you know he is going to put on at least 20-30 pounds of pure muscle with their training program. He could end up being one of the most beloved and improved players to come through that program.

but I doubt he will ever be like Dirk!! :D

Absolutely. 

I can totally see him over over the next 2 years developing a great jumper and even a little post game. Plus, you know he is going to put on at least 20-30 pounds of pure muscle with their training program. He could end up being one of the most beloved and improved players to come through that program.

but I doubt he will ever be like Dirk!! :D

Yea I don't think Dirk is possible... but Dirk is seriously underrated IMO... best European of all time

Hes already endeared himself to me lol I think Doles is gonna be amazing for 3 more years and I can see himself being drafted in the second as a stretch forward 

not to mention he will bulk up and he already attacks the rim well for a skinny guy

just love his game... great get by Boeheim 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are tons and tons of great college programs that don't even put talent to the NBA... who is the last Virginia Cavalier to be good in the NBA? ( brogden) Or Villanova?

Once they get to the pros it's all up to the kid... but Boeheim has developed sooo many first round talents 

Dion Waiters couldn't score in college? What about Wes Johnson? Lawrence Moten, Hakeem Warrick, Jonny Flynn, Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson,  Derrrick Coleman, pearl Washington ... they have had first round picks for 6 straight years, and they are all scorers ...  they aren't getting drafted cus their defense 

Heck Tyus Battle is going to a first round pick eventually and he is a pure slasher / scorer

There "are" tons of great college programs that don't put talent in the NBA.  What does that have to do with Barkley's statement.  He is saying if they practice against one on one every day they would be better against it.  The same argument could be made by saying a team that practices against the zone every day would be better against it.  One of the reasons why the zone is so successful.  Besides the fact SU takes it to a different level.

If you don't think that practicing against a certain defense makes you better against it, I have to wonder what all these coaching are doing.  And that goes for any sport.

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

There "are" tons of great college programs that don't put talent in the NBA.  What does that have to do with Barkley's statement.  He is saying if they practice against one on one every day they would be better against it.  The same argument could be made by saying a team that practices against the zone every day would be better against it.  One of the reasons why the zone is so successful.  Besides the fact SU takes it to a different level.

If you don't think that practicing against a certain defense makes you better against it, I have to wonder what all these coaching are doing.  And that goes for any sport.

He also said that Syracuse has only had 1 scorer in their history... Melo, and hasn't had any since ... that's what I was referring too

thats what my rant was about... Cuse has had plenty of scorers

i understand his anecdote about the zone

Here is a link to an article at the Syracuse Post Standard about the zone D.   Since it was a topic here, I thought Syr fans that are out of town would find it entertaining.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2018/03/syracuse_basketballs_magical_mystical_zone_defense_in_the_ncaa_tournament_it_wor.html

Edited by Greybeard

9 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Holy crap. I'm sorry but Bayer had 2 very big plays at the end that were instrumental in preserving that lead.  Wow, wow, wow

Bayer had two jump balls— both critical. 

By the way, the fouls that Michigan State got away with on those inbounds “turnovers” late were comical. Battle got his entire arm slapped on that one where they replayed it.

Bayer had two jump balls— both critical. 

By the way, the fouls that Michigan State got away with on those inbounds “turnovers” late were comical. Battle got his entire arm slapped on that one where they replayed it.

That was like the longest 10-12 seconds ever lol

i was screaming when Battle was getting mugged

Cuuuuuusssseeeeee!!!!

On 3/17/2018 at 12:04 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am having some major nightmares about this game on Sunday. I distinctly remember getting crushed in the sweet 16 by Michigan State in Detroit in 2000.

I think that was the year where Mo Pete and Mateen Cleaves took them to the title. They shot like over 70% from the field against our zone.

I remember that game but mainly because we were up like 20+ and they came back

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Cuuuuuusssseeeeee!!!!

I remember that game but mainly because we were up like 20+ and they came back

If I recall that game, Michigan State shot over 70% from the field in the second half and just killed us. I was in Ann Arbor at the time visiting and watching that game in my hotel and recall the whole thing pretty vividly. 

Great to get that monkey off our back today! 

Straight gold from an MSU board ? 

Who they want to play

While I hate having to go against zone D, I kind of want to stomp Boeheim after his bitching last year about us making the tourney and SU being left out.
Cuse. Give us some practice against a long team playing a 2-3 before we play Duke.
And as others have said, a tuneup for Duke's zone would be nice.
I want TCU so we don't have to hear Boeheim bitching about how unfair it is to play MSU in Detroit.
I'd like to see Izzo get a W against sleaze bag Boheim.
Yea I don’t want to play some stupid zone with size.
Bucknell is better then both these teams
This game is garbage. MSU will win over either team by 20+.
Syracuse has three players averaging 38 minutes per game. It will be blood bath.
I think we can break the zone but fû@k do I hate playing against it.
I think we can own the offensive boards on Sunday. Chukwu is soft. I can see Brissett and Battle drawing a ton of fouls on us and Dolejac or whatever his name is go off from 3. Probably will be a tight game
I hate their zone as much as the next guy, and I knew as soon as they won the play-in game we'd probably play those guys. But I think we do match up pretty well with them.
This will be a low scoring and high turnover game, but facing a zone will help MSU prepare for Duke. Since Cuse isn't a huge threat from deep, an upset is less likely as well.

Pre-game

So do we beat Duke? Spare me the "let's worry about the first game." We're not on the team. Speculate away.
Last non-conference was against Syracuse, and Boeheim called Izzo a "knucklehead." Syracuse then smoked MSU.
Holy hell. They're like a really shít version of Virginia.
Except they're also cowards. Zone is for cowards.
Boeheim has also said "shít" twice during this press conference.
Good god those shooting %s... how is a major conference team with a HOF coach so bad?
No excuses, we've played 2 games in LCA, we're 90 mins from campus, we're a 3 seed vs an 11. I don't care if they hit 12 3's and play a 'junk' defense. Get it done. Cuse is the 'diet coke' version of Duke.
I get the feeling that Izzo thinks it's easy to beat a zone if you know what you're doing, and MAYBE that plays into why he doesn't go to a zone defense...?
MSU does not have a good track record against Syracuse. Should he intersting. Izzo does seem to take scouting up a notch in the tournament.
Cuse is already worn out, if we score 50 we win.
Cuse is long and play the best one in country. What better way to prepare for Duke.
I was at the Syracuse at duke game. Syracuse was tall and terrible on offense. It was the ugliest game I have ever seen. Duke’s shooters couldn’t make a shot. I remember seeing a stat on the scoreboard around halftime rhat said dukes 3 or shooting was 0-12. Near the end of the game, allen’s Only points were 2 dunks.

We definitely beat these guys unless the score is in the 20’s.
I’ve since grown to really dislike Boeheim and their program. A win against them will be much more satisfying than a win over TCU would have been.

Game Thread – Second half

Had a chance to blow this open. Can't do it
That was a bad call. Fans tend to notice the bad calls they get jobbed on. We also the benefit of a handful of bad calls. Most people are saying the refs aren't giving a distinct advantage to them over us. That should be obvious to most. So the posters here making it seem like they are doing that, are tiresome. It's a lazy take.
Down vote away: wish we played zone
Live by the 3...may die by the 3.
Does McQuaid have a long lost brother (#21) that plays for Syracuse?
Brisset is single handedly kicking our ass
Brick after brick after brick
I hope these fû@king refs die in a grease fire
You can't draw many fouls or get to the line when over 60% of your shots are from behind the three point line.
This game is Wisconsin like.
damn how many air balls is that
what sport am I watching?
Feels like soccer
If you can shoot 25% from 3 - you will destroy a zone. We haven't done that
Every time we get to 5 point league we let them off the hook.
lol what a dumbazz Frank Howard...fouling out on that
Too funny, he fouls out on an actual bad foul call.
No contact...except for the s e xual assault
Cuse has a walk-on playing that has only played 11 minutes this season
How is Battle drawing afoul every single time he drives? Those aren't fouls.
Pretty entertaining game IMO. Respect to this Syracuse D.
Think we may lose this game.
Syracuse is going to have the lead. Unbelievable
There isn't enough Valium on Earth for this miserable fû@king team
This will be hilarious when Syracuse shoots 10 free throws all game against Duke next week.
I’ve never seen an MSU team shoot this terribly ever.
Panic setting in. We are done.
Losing to a gimmick. Wonderful.
A gimmick that has been to 5 final fours and won a national championship more recently than Izzo...
This Syracuse team is NOT those Syracuse teams.
Izzo just can't cut it in March anymore. Zone beats his ass
Doesn’t look good. Just can’t score.
Explain to me how everyone in Syracuse is in foul trouble, yet they’ve shot a billion more free throws than us
Syracuse has been going to the hoop and MSU is throwing up 3's.
This may be the last college b-ball game I ever watch.
I just read How to beat the Zone. It said to either drive and break it down, dish it off, if it's not there reset and do it again. Or just shoot the long 3.
News flash: the threes aren't falling. Go to the rim.
Jackson is softer than baby shít. Just like his teammates
So let’s do the same shít that hasn’t been working all game. Makes sense.
Dunk the fû@king ball you enormous overrated gaping vag!!
Battles been getting all American calls all game long Bridges just gets looked at
Tieman burping on the telecast. Fitting.
MSU will win. They're just lucky Syracuse is suckier then them.
If this wasn't in Detroit Syracuse would be up by 10
This team can't win with a literal home court advantage.
Battle ate Langford up all game long
I wish we had creators on our team like that.
I would trade every soft, gutless waste of a scholarship on oir roster for Battle.
Izzo should spend the entire off-season learning how to coach against the zone
The 3rd stringer 6 feet from basket and wont shoot it . Why is he in there?
If you don't turn around and shoot a 7 footer when no one is guarding you, you don't beat a zone
They have guys who are playing to win. We are trying not to lose
Best shooting team we've had ever and we had and we lose because of horrible shooting
Pucker up time.
Definition of a moron. Keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
Our last made FG was with 7:30 left. They will foul, so shoot early.
If Izzo can't get out of the first weekend with this group of talent and what's essentially two home games, he's not sniffing another title.
Syracuse took all the air that remained in this torture trial of a season. Who ever said sports were fun
Hey there’s a coach who fû@king fouls up 3 as well. Imagine that.
Other coaches have adapted over the years to the changes in the game. Not TO. Just too much ego. Boeheim is a good coach

Post-game

Goodbye Miles. Great on a random weeknight against nobody, doesn't get it done under the bright lights.
That was the worst coaching/execution I’ve ever seen in a tournament game. That Syracuse team is dogshít and we just clanked away all game. Cannot believe this team lost that game.
Izzo routinely gets out coached.
A billion offensive rebounds and we end the game with 53 points.
The 2nd half was a mirror of the first half. And again, no adjustments.
I am dead inside. Life has no meaning. We are all just water.
Go fû@k yourself with a rusty knife in your dilapidated trailer.
My trailer isn't dilapidated, it's only a few decades old! It has running water and a flush-able shítter.
The Syracuse guy kept driving and getting fouled and kept them in it.
Today we lost to a terrible Syracuse team. Mediocre in every way. We had 2 lottery picks, another 5 star player and a starting PG playing in his hometown.
This was coaching malpractice.
Difference was Battle hit some shots. No one on our end did... period!
At least MSU doesn’t have to live down what UVA does.
How did this team with 4x the talent not beat Syracuse by 15?
We played right into their hands, just like ASU and TCU did. And it's not like there isn't tons of film on Syracuse's zone, Boeheim has only been running it for 40 years.
Izzo’s worst NCAA coaching job of his career. We didn't run into a hot team. We simply allowed a shítty, gimmicky team to dictate the flow, and lost with the one of, if the THE, most talented team in Izzo's career.
MTSU was worse. Unlike this year's team that was a veteran team (4 of them in the league) with a lot of tourney experience. Izzo seemed to have a reverse strategy in that game compared to this game. MTSU = eventually they'll stop making shots and we'll win. Syracuse = eventually we'll start making shots and win.
Syracuse had to be super excited when they saw our plan was basically just to toss the ball around the perimeter. They have what, 5 healthy scholarship players who play decent minutes?
Once again our NBA bigs are unable to even stay on the floor against double digit seeds.
Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Straight gold from an MSU board ? 

Who they want to play

While I hate having to go against zone D, I kind of want to stomp Boeheim after his bitching last year about us making the tourney and SU being left out.
Cuse. Give us some practice against a long team playing a 2-3 before we play Duke.
And as others have said, a tuneup for Duke's zone would be nice.
I want TCU so we don't have to hear Boeheim bitching about how unfair it is to play MSU in Detroit.
I'd like to see Izzo get a W against sleaze bag Boheim.
Yea I don’t want to play some stupid zone with size.
Bucknell is better then both these teams
This game is garbage. MSU will win over either team by 20+.
Syracuse has three players averaging 38 minutes per game. It will be blood bath.
I think we can break the zone but fû@k do I hate playing against it.
I think we can own the offensive boards on Sunday. Chukwu is soft. I can see Brissett and Battle drawing a ton of fouls on us and Dolejac or whatever his name is go off from 3. Probably will be a tight game
I hate their zone as much as the next guy, and I knew as soon as they won the play-in game we'd probably play those guys. But I think we do match up pretty well with them.
This will be a low scoring and high turnover game, but facing a zone will help MSU prepare for Duke. Since Cuse isn't a huge threat from deep, an upset is less likely as well.

Pre-game

So do we beat Duke? Spare me the "let's worry about the first game." We're not on the team. Speculate away.
Last non-conference was against Syracuse, and Boeheim called Izzo a "knucklehead." Syracuse then smoked MSU.
Holy hell. They're like a really shít version of Virginia.
Except they're also cowards. Zone is for cowards.
Boeheim has also said "shít" twice during this press conference.
Good god those shooting %s... how is a major conference team with a HOF coach so bad?
No excuses, we've played 2 games in LCA, we're 90 mins from campus, we're a 3 seed vs an 11. I don't care if they hit 12 3's and play a 'junk' defense. Get it done. Cuse is the 'diet coke' version of Duke.
I get the feeling that Izzo thinks it's easy to beat a zone if you know what you're doing, and MAYBE that plays into why he doesn't go to a zone defense...?
MSU does not have a good track record against Syracuse. Should he intersting. Izzo does seem to take scouting up a notch in the tournament.
Cuse is already worn out, if we score 50 we win.
Cuse is long and play the best one in country. What better way to prepare for Duke.
I was at the Syracuse at duke game. Syracuse was tall and terrible on offense. It was the ugliest game I have ever seen. Duke’s shooters couldn’t make a shot. I remember seeing a stat on the scoreboard around halftime rhat said dukes 3 or shooting was 0-12. Near the end of the game, allen’s Only points were 2 dunks.

We definitely beat these guys unless the score is in the 20’s.
I’ve since grown to really dislike Boeheim and their program. A win against them will be much more satisfying than a win over TCU would have been.

Thanks for all the laughs.  How about some post game comments now.

Also I saw the end of a tag line on ESPN today about Izzo but I didn't catch what is was about.  Something about him helping get the solution.  Anyone know what that was about?

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for all the laughs.  How about some post game comments now.

Also I saw the end of a tag line on ESPN today about Izzo but I didn't catch what is was about.  Something about him helping get the solution.  Anyone know what that was about?

Just did postgame ?

10 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Does it annoy anyone else that they call 'Cuse a gimmick team? Is that because we play zone? Lots of teams play zone

Yes it's all because Cuse plays the Zone as their primary for sooo many years lol I guess when you play good defense it's a gimmick 

5 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

image.thumb.png.a124f841111c072fd9104a6d05cdb36e.png

I read an article yesterday that summed up PERFECTLY why Boeheim always gets questioned and criticized 

Roy Williams, Coach K, Bob Knight etc all were disciples of basketball legends. They all were taught by the innovators and legends of college basketball 

they were always part of " the club "

Boeheim grew up in little Lyons NY, went to SU , never really received mentorship from a basketball legend. He has had to fight and claw for everything he has ever had and it's left him with a permanent chip 

he had to earn becoming part of " the club " and some people in the media resent him for his too honest approach 

• Like (+1) 3