Ragland traded to KC for 4th round 2019 pick

MAJBobby

I don't understand your point of view. McD and Beane are getting a mid round pick for a player they don't think will help the team regardless of where he was picked or his injury history. Why would they care where he was picked. It makes no difference. Maybe you are frustrated in the past 17 years but those past years have no impact on the moves made today.

Perhaps you're missing my point?

There shouldn't really be any doubt about whether a 2nd round pick can help this team so soon after he was drafted. We should be getting impact players from these high draft picks and instead are getting rid of players that should be the nucleus of this team. We play this game every 2 or 3 years. Changing coaches, schemes and getting rid of players. That in a nutshell is my point. I'm not taking shots at the current coaching staff. My issue is with the way we've done things for so many years.

Edited by Bangarang

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised. He really doesn't fit the new scheme. This is what sucks about switching schemes every couple years...

I hate helping KC this season though. He fits great into their scheme and could be a difference maker.

Of course, the Bills couldn't possibly hire a coaching staff that might just happen to want run a defense similar to the previous regime's successful one. It's not rocket science that if Marrone/Schwartz had success with a 4-3 scheme, then many, if not most, of the defensive veterans on the team are probably best suited to playing the 4-3.

If I were owner I'd give the GM and HC iron clad 10 year contracts with a no fire clause. The problem this team has had for years now is lack of stability. You can't keep changing things every few years. You can't establish a philosophy of how you want to play, which then leads to who you draft, and so on.

How many coaches have we fired that you felt didn't deserve it? Our problem has been hiring duds. If anything I've felt we kept some of them too long.

Pegula has to give them more than two years.

Regarding the Chip Kelly comparisons..........Chip inherited a bad team that Andy Reid couldn't win with.......won 10 games two years in a row.......had one down year after making controversial decisions........and got fired.

Bold moves shorten your timeline........just is what it is.

Clearing the roster of the previous 3 years worth of draft picks.......and then losing and watching those players excel elsewhere could be very bad news even as soon as late December 2018 for McD.

How many coaches have we fired that you felt didn't deserve it? Our problem has been hiring duds. If anything I've felt we kept some of them too long.

I never agreed with Rex. Would have been interesting to see what Marrone would have done.

We have a young GM and HC that are in synch on how they want to do this. Give them time to do so.

Maybe if genius McDermott didn't announce to the world he was on the verge of getting cut they could have gotten a pick sometime in the current century. Maybe not though.

Maybe

If I were owner I'd give the GM and HC iron clad 10 year contracts with a no fire clause. The problem this team has had for years now is lack of stability. You can't keep changing things every few years. You can't establish a philosophy of how you want to play, which then leads to who you draft, and so on.

WHOA! 10 yrs is too much and a no fire clause is restricting your maneuverability. Could imagine being stuck with rex for 10 years!!

That isnt the problem... ugh. Can you imagine being locked into levy/jauron or nix/gailey for 10 years?

The people who have been running the ship here have been nonsense. Was any administration here on the verge of any breakthrough?

I dont think mcdermott and beane have a much different look than in the past... coming from me, that is a lot. I have hated pretty much every major move this team has made for more than a decade

I agree. From my perspective the Pegula's made a conscience decision to uproot what they considered to be the whole stench of failure from this organization. They essentially picked McD to be that guy to do so and he is now surrounding himself around Beane and a couple other decent football minds. They are investing in this for the long-term, at least the way I see it. They will at a minimum give them 3 years to get this organization going in the right direction and 3 would be if they crashed and burned and most likely give them 4+ years.

They may end up being a couple failures but I give McD/Beane credit for doing it their way. There is no half stepping, no half pregnant approach. They are retooling this organization from the scouting department, coaching, management to players. They don't care how high the players were drafted, if the players don't fit their vision of how they believe a team should be made, then they will look to ship him off for some value.

Again, they made end up being colossal failures but at least they are "doing it their way". And if I was a manager, there would be no other way that I'd like it done than that.

Why this simple truth is lost on Bills fans is beyond me.

So many people here literally have no idea why a guy who has been with the team since January, and in training camp since only July, has not turned the ship around after 17 years of failure. You have fans calling McDermott a useless coach who needs to be fired during the first quarter of his 3rd preseason game.

Yet bring it up, and you're the one who doesn't contribute positively to the board. :lol:

That isnt the problem... ugh. Can you imagine being locked into levy/jauron or nix/gailey for 10 years?

The people who have been running the ship here have been nonsense. Was any administration here on the verge of any breakthrough?

I dont think mcdermott and beane have a much different look than in the past... coming from me, that is a lot. I have hated pretty much every major move this team has made for more than a decade

Of course it's the problem. Look at the most successful franchises. Consistency and stability.

Yeah, but he was supposed to be an "off the bus" immediate starter.

It's hard to do that with a torn ACL

Yeah, but he was supposed to be an "off the bus" immediate starter.

tripped on the proverbial mat.

I am a tad bummed they did not let him work the season. I liked the pick at the time ( what do I know )

Must really have been uninspiring ?

Geez. How can they possibly justify that?

The current front office does not need to justify picks made by previous front office tuel.

He has looked really good so far this year imo

I am so surprised NFL front offices do not ask for your opinion and wish NFLE teams hired you for a non-paying position.

Perhaps you're missing my point?

There shouldn't really be any doubt about whether a 2nd round pick can help this team so soon after he was drafted. We should be getting impact players from these high draft picks and instead are getting rid of players that should be the nucleus of this team. We play this game every 2 or 3 years. Changing coaches, schemes and getting rid of players. That in a nutshell is my point. I'm not taking shots at the current coaching staff. My issue is with the way we've done things for so many years.

Well I do understand how poorly the franchise has been run fro the past 2 decades, but I think Pegula was in a no win situation end of last year and he had to hit the reset button. Rex Ryan was a complete trainwreck and Whaley couldn't put together a complete sentence without contradicting himself or embarrassing the team.

I think we can all agree now he should have done it the moment Marrone quit but unfortunately Russ and Whaley convinced him otherwise and there goes 2 years down the toilet. There is no question in my mind the Pegulas were over their head and after that debacle he decided to go young and disciplined with McDermott and Beane and give them free reign. I can't imagine he doesn't give him 5 years. We have to hope McD is the real deal and his philosophy pays off. Trading Ragland is just another part of "the process" we are being asked to trust and we have no choice. This regime may be a snake oil salesmen as well and we might start over again after 22 years of no playoffs, but to me it feels better than Ryan, Marrone, Gailey or Jauron.

Besides all that I don't think Ragland is a very good football player for the 2017 game.

Well I do understand how poorly the franchise has been run fro the past 2 decades, but I think Pegula was in a no win situation end of last year and he had to hit the reset button. Rex Ryan was a complete trainwreck and Whaley couldn't put together a complete sentence without contradicting himself or embarrassing the team.

I think we can all agree now he should have done it the moment Marrone quit but unfortunately Russ and Whaley convinced him otherwise and there goes 2 years down the toilet. There is no question in my mind the Pegulas were over their head and after that debacle he decided to go young and disciplined with McDermott and Beane and give them free reign. I can't imagine he doesn't give him 5 years. We have to hope McD is the real deal and his philosophy pays off. Trading Ragland is just another part of "the process" we are being asked to trust and we have no choice. This regime may be a snake oil salesmen as well and we might start over again after 22 years of no playoffs, but to me it feels better than Ryan, Marrone, Gailey or Jauron.

Besides all that I don't think Ragland is a very good football player for the 2017 game.

Bob Sutton seems to think you're wrong.

Any of you Draftniks have some insight on the 2019 draft class?

None.

I just hope he has an opportunity to contribute, unlike RR.

I do. The 2019 fourth round pick stands a 9.36% chance of becoming a decent NFL starter or contributor by 2021 and beyond.

Well - seeing how RR had zero chance of contributing to this team, seems like a good deal.