Ragland traded to KC for 4th round 2019 pick

MAJBobby

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they need to evaluate each player on the current roster and determine whether he fits into their new vision for the team and systems on either side of the ball. If they don't, and they can get something of decent value, they should move on. If they do, they should continue building the team with that player. There are older players they've cut and younger players they have kept and vice versa. This is a completely different organization than last year from top to bottom. They can't worry about moves of past regimes. Hanging onto Ragland even thouh they don't think he can help them win just because the previous guys drafted him high would be maddening. He was about to get cut. The fact they got a 4th rd pick is refreshing.

I believe they need to evaluate each player on the current roster and determine whether he fits into their new vision for the team and systems on either side of the ball. If they don't, and they can get something of decent value, they should move on. If they do, they should continue building the team with that player. There are older players they've cut and younger players they have kept and vice versa. This is a completely different organization than last year from top to bottom. They can't worry about moves of past regimes. Hanging onto Ragland even thouh they don't think he can help them win just because the previous guys drafted him high would be maddening. He was about to get cut. The fact they got a 4th rd pick is refreshing.

....good assessment....and who really knows on the outside as to the prognosis of his ACL surgery?.....may answer question as to why a 2019 4th......

I'll put it another way: a widget-selling business is struggling. New management is brought in. Instead of capitalizing on the core assets of the company (the widget-making expertise, the factories, supplier networks, etc.), new management's plan is to sell everything and use the sale revenue to purchase an entirely new business infrastructure in a year or two. Maybe we'll sell Cogswheels, maybe we'll sell Hermophones, who knows? We'll figure it out in a year or two!

How do you think the shareholders would react to that approach?

Management 101: leverage your core strengths. Don't bring in a bunch of coaches who need different players to fit their systems. DON'T HIRE THOSE COACHES. Hire the coaches who have demonstrated the ability to tailor systems around the existing talent.

Jeebus H. Cringles, it's not that complicated.

Stop giving the Pegulas a free pass, people. They have no clue what they're doing and we are in for 2-4 more years of garbage product. You're gonna pay for that? I'm not - I canceled Sunday Ticket and we gave up our season tickets this year.

ENOUGH.

Good for you. With your permission I'll continue to support my team.

right on Yolo.

The Sammy trade is the only one that is still puzzling, and I'm convinced more clarity will come of the move.

But scheme changes aside, I can certainly see why McD jettisoned Cujo, Darby and Reggie. That's not a solid foundation that they dumped.

The word out of New England was that he didn't fit the scheme.

Google "Kony Ealy didn't fit scheme"

Oh I've seen the articles, it's speculation.

It could very well be he was difficult to work with, like he was in Carolina.

Kony Ealy was a SB wonder and then did nothing last year. Satan took a stab at him, cheaply, hoping he could regain what he saw in the SB. It didn't happen.

We just threw away a 2nd round pick. These picks should be instant contributors. Instead, we're just left hoping BB and McD are going to be good at drafting. We're stepping over dollars to save pennies.

I don't understand your point of view. McD and Beane are getting a mid round pick for a player they don't think will help the team regardless of where he was picked or his injury history. Why would they care where he was picked. It makes no difference. Maybe you are frustrated in the past 17 years but those past years have no impact on the moves made today.

I agree. From my perspective the Pegula's made a conscience decision to uproot what they considered to be the whole stench of failure from this organization. They essentially picked McD to be that guy to do so and he is now surrounding himself around Beane and a couple other decent football minds. They are investing in this for the long-term, at least the way I see it. They will at a minimum give them 3 years to get this organization going in the right direction and 3 would be if they crashed and burned and most likely give them 4+ years.

They may end up being a couple failures but I give McD/Beane credit for doing it their way. There is no half stepping, no half pregnant approach. They are retooling this organization from the scouting department, coaching, management to players. They don't care how high the players were drafted, if the players don't fit their vision of how they believe a team should be made, then they will look to ship him off for some value.

Again, they made end up being colossal failures but at least they are "doing it their way". And if I was a manager, there would be no other way that I'd like it done than that.

The Sammy trade is the only one that is still puzzling, and I'm convinced more clarity will come of the move.

But scheme changes aside, I can certainly see why McD jettisoned Cujo, Darby and Reggie. That's not a solid foundation that they dumped.

everyone knows I will hate the Sammy trade forever because he was my favorite player. I think I'm still in denial. Of course that's my heart talking. I'm not even at the stage where I am thinking about it past that point.

@NDTscouting

Will be sharing my thoughts on the Ragland deal this evening. But Bills getting a middle round pick for an overdrafted player is a 'W' IMO.

@utmodisette

What do you think of people who say the pick is less valuable because it's in 2019? I think that's a very shortsighted view of draft picks.

@nDT scouting

Draft capital is very fluid in terms of it's value to teams. I'm legit not sure RR would've made the team. Getting anything was a plus.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I was NOT happy when we drafted Ragland. Yes, he was a powerful LB behind Alabama's great D line, but the only way he fits in the NFL is in a 3-4 alongside three fast LBs who can cover, because he can't. Ragland was too slow to play a 4-3 MLB even before he got hurt. Ragland was a flawed pick, a guy who lacks the versatility and athleticism to play wherever he's needed.

I think Preston Brown has this year to start, and next year to look over his shoulder. I think the Bills will be trying just as hard to draft the next Luke Kuechly as they are to find the franchise QB (unless Peterman surprises, in which case the LB hunt will be even more intense than QB).

The Bills were built to win in 2015, but their coach failed them, and they failed their coach. On paper, the talent was there. When that fell apart, it really fell apart. Now the Bills are trying to win in 2019 or possibly 2018, depending on how things pan out. I feel sorry for Shady, and for Kyle Williams.

As to the trade, the term sunk costs applies. It would have been worse if Whaley was still here and he held on to Ragland because he drafted him and his own reputation was at stake.

As said above, Google Kony Ealy didn't fit scheme

Google Ron Rivera's comments about Ealy.

When asked if Ealy would be successful in NE

"If he listens and does the things coach ask of him. Said Rivera. "I think he has an oppurtunity to reascend"

Ealy has a bad reputation. Do your research. It's a different story than a player whose physical limitations do not allow him to play in a scheme. Ealy simply doesn't do what he is told. Won't go to the right gap, hold contain etc. It's well documented.

Google Ron Rivera's comments about Ealy.

When asked if Ealy would be successful in NE

"If he listens and does the things coach ask of him. Said Rivera. "I think he has an oppurtunity to reascend"

Ealy has a bad reputation. Do your research. It's a different story than a player whose physical limitations do not allow him to play in a scheme. Ealy simply doesn't do what he is told. Won't go to the right gap, hold contain etc. It's well documented.

surprised Belichik bothered trading for him in the first place but I suppose he's teflon, and thinks he has the Midas touch with other team's castoffs. No one will ever criticize him if things like that don't work out, so much easier to take risks. Edited by YoloinOhio

surprised Belichik bothered trading for him in the first place but I suppose he's teflon and has the Midas touch. No one will ever criticize him if things like that don't work out, so much easier to take risks.

Yeah and from what I heard today it was only 8 spots in the draft. So that's a risk worth taking for a talented malcontent when you run such a tight ship like BB. He will sink or swim real fast and won't cost you anything but that short draft position.