Food Allergies

Chef Jim

My wife was reading an article about having people put out blue pumpkins to let people with children with food allergies know you're handing out non-food trinckets. Where did the whole food allergy stuff come from? When we were kids there was never any "what's in this?" questions so it's relatively recent. It's very real so what's causing this?

Where I first saw this was in the late 80's when we used walnut oil a lot in salads. But that was adults not children

Edited by Chef Jim

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a friend who was bit by a tick as an adult and became allergic to red meat. WHAT? How is THAT possible? But it happened. It's serious schit! He actually travels with an epi pen. And in case you were wondering.....pork? The other white meat? Nope, that will kill him too.

Another friend is allergic to eggs, and they are hiding everywhere. Even in some red wines, if you can believe that.

I have no idea how this came to be such a big thing, but I remember none of this growing up.

We have a friend who was bit by a tick as an adult and became allergic to red meat. WHAT? How is THAT possible? But it happened. It's serious schit! He actually travels with an epi pen. And in case you were wondering.....pork? The other white meat? Nope, that will kill him too.

Another friend is allergic to eggs, and they are hiding everywhere. Even in some red wines, if you can believe that.

I have no idea how this came to be such a big thing, but I remember none of this growing up.

Egg whites are often used to clarify red wine.

Is red wine often unintelligible?

No only those that have too much of it.

Somehow everyone has an affliction to gluten these days.

No they don't. It's just trendy to want gluten free. Next time someone says they want something gluten free say "oh so you suffer from celiac disease" and see what their reaction is.

No only those that have too much of it.

No they don't. It's just trendy to want gluten free. Next time someone says they want something gluten free say "oh so you suffer from celiac disease" and see what their reaction is.

I know a bunch of people who say they have a gluten allergy. I legitimately heard of/know 2 people who have been diagnosed with celiac disease. One is a guys daughter that I did some work with and the other was Joe C, the dude from kid rock who passed away.

I blame hand sanitizers

My wife was reading an article about having people put out blue pumpkins to let people with children with food allergies know you're handing out non-food trinckets. Where did the whole food allergy stuff come from? When we were kids there was never any "what's in this?" questions so it's relatively recent. It's very real so what's causing this?

Where I first saw this was in the late 80's when we used walnut oil a lot in salads. But that was adults not children

I read about the tick bite red meat allergy for the first time a few weeks ago and had the same reaction as you. This might be behind a fee wall:

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/hundreds-on-east-end-get-meat-allergy-from-lone-star-tick-s-bite-1.13866631

Somehow everyone has an affliction to gluten these days.

I was diagnosed Celiac in 2001. If I eat/drink anything with gluten, IF I don't get sick shortly afterword, the gluten destroys your immune system making you wide open for all kinds of diseases, cancers etc. So it's a bit more than an affliction for me. Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy earlier this year, and the Doc said that while I still have celiac, it is inactive, and that's all thanks to controlling my diet.

So, nothing with wheat, oats, barley or rye. Some forms of oats seem to be OK. Cheerios have a honey nut cereal that's OK. I get it at Costco, so not too expensive. No beer, bread, pasta etc., but that's OK, because I'm still healthy. My Mom passed away at 61 with cancer. That was 35+ years ago but I believe she had what I have, but was never diagnosed. Since my discovery, several others in my family have been diagnosed with it too, so it's hereditary.

There's no medication or cure for this, just control of diet.

I was diagnosed Celiac in 2001. If I eat/drink anything with gluten, IF I don't get sick shortly afterword, the gluten destroys your immune system making you wide open for all kinds of diseases, cancers etc. So it's a bit more than an affliction for me. Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy earlier this year, and the Doc said that while I still have celiac, it is inactive, and that's all thanks to controlling my diet.

So, nothing with wheat, oats, barley or rye. Some forms of oats seem to be OK. Cheerios have a honey nut cereal that's OK. I get it at Costco, so not too expensive. No beer, bread, pasta etc., but that's OK, because I'm still healthy. My Mom passed away at 61 with cancer. That was 35+ years ago but I believe she had what I have, but was never diagnosed. Since my discovery, several others in my family have been diagnosed with it too, so it's hereditary.

There's no medication or cure for this, just control of diet.

Yeah... Cancer sux. We lost our mother to ovarian cancer almost 20 years ago. She was only 58. So hereditary? Yet, she did smoke for a spell. Now this whole talc crap (which was suspected even back then), etc... After my sister was born in '72... Our mother had a partial hysterectomy, leaving those ticking time bombs in to go off 18 years later. Little did she know that the cancer was running in the family. Oddly, her aunt beat it in the 1970s.

I believe your family tree has a lot to tell you about your future, and a lot of it is random on top of it.

The earliest natural death in my family is 77, I'll live well beyond the ability to have any $$$ left to hang around... :(

One of my nieces visited us a few weeks ago. She is allergic to gluten, corn, and wheat and on a low sugar diet. She didn't really like meat or vegetables.

I had no idea what to feed her.

I could be really wrong here, but I feel like maybe if people tried to "eat through" these allergies, they may lessen or be eliminated entirely.

Well for Celiac, you can't eat through it. You will do a lot of damage to yourself, and maybe even die trying. Eating through it will destroy your immune system, and once that happens all bets are off.

I'm Irish, so I love potatoes and meat, and vegetables too, so I'm not wasting away. The rest of the stuff just requires an adjustment. No beer, but wine, rum and vodka are fine. Just an example of my adjustment(s)..

I know there seem to be a lot of people who say they are gluten free, peanut free, lactose free etc., but it's not a fad diet thing for many, and if the advice comes from a medical diagnosis, you better pay attention..

Combination of things IMO. One, we don't build up the kind of tolerances and immunities our ancestors had because we're less exposed to the myriad bacteria and microflora/fauna that comprise a well functioning digestive system. Two, the food science industry has tinkered with ingredients in everyday meals that our bodies haven't evolved enough to handle properly yet. Three, and probably most importantly (and mentioned earlier by JR in Pittsburgh) our attitudes regarding things that are 'bad' for us have changed dramatically to the point where we will avoid something nutritious entirely if it makes us feel slightly unwell rather than slowly and steadily incorporating it into your diet piecemeal.

Also, gluten allergies/intolerances are no joke, and the rate at which wheat continues to be bred for higher levels of prolamin/glutelin proteins it will probably continue to be a problem.

Eating too much of the same thing can cause allergies. A lot of times it's additives.

I had the HUGE MISFORTUNE of becoming allergic to ALL FOOD, because of bad bacteria in my water purifier ( thanks rainsoft, you suck and have THE WORST customer service, I hope you go out of business).

Anyway after junking the filter and take quality pro-biotics I'm almost back to normal, but still struggle with beef, which is unforgivable by rainsoft.

Kids need to play in the dirt more when they are young.

Yep, the pro-biotics I use are homeostatic soil organisms, fancy for dirt bacteria.