Food Allergies

Chef Jim

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about the tick bite red meat allergy for the first time a few weeks ago and had the same reaction as you. This might be behind a fee wall:

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/hundreds-on-east-end-get-meat-allergy-from-lone-star-tick-s-bite-1.13866631

Thanks for the link (it worked). It gave me a little better understanding into such a bizarre happening! PEOPLE - avoid tick settings. I used to remove ticks almost weekly from my dogs while living in Hilton Head, SC.

I listened to it because I lived in Seattle, and the good jazz station KPLU, was NPR doing the day. I do remember Cory Flintoffffffffffffffff.

No only those that have too much of it.

No they don't. It's just trendy to want gluten free. Next time someone says they want something gluten free say "oh so you suffer from celiac disease" and see what their reaction is.

This.

My ex has it, her dad died due to it. She also has egg and corn allergies. One son has egg, wheat and peanut allergies. The other son has zero, as do I. It sucks.

I have food allergies as an adult that I did not have as a child. I now have a significant allergy to soy and peanut products which sucks because it's in nearly everything. Soybean and peanut oils are *the* worst.

I chalk up my food allergy up to medication that I take that constantly toys with my immune system, especially the various immunoglobulins. I lost my hair due to it so it doesn't surprise me that as time goes on, it has made my body sensitive to soy and peanuts.

There is no "eating through" a food allergy because the immune system treats the food as a foreign invader that must be defeated, and it wont' turn that function off no matter how much milk you drink, etc. You're just putting yourself in agony.

growing up in the 70's, I pretty much brought peanut butter and jelly or fluff, every day to school. Now I have read about flights that no peanuts can be on board for 24 hours, to make safe for a passenger with bad peanut allergies. I have no idea how food allergies spiked so high. Same with autism.

i'm reading this thread as i eat peanut butter from a jar with a spoon :D

growing up in the 70's, I pretty much brought peanut butter and jelly or fluff, every day to school. Now I have read about flights that no peanuts can be on board for 24 hours, to make safe for a passenger with bad peanut allergies. I have no idea how food allergies spiked so high. Same with autism.

My dad, at the ripe old age of 60, started getting a weird rash on his forearm. Got a topical cream for it but it just treated it, if he didn't have the cream for a couple of days the rash would come back.

His primary doc sends him to an allergist. Comes back with the results: gluten allergy. How the !@#$ do you develop a food allergy in your 50's/60's?

It's not serious and he can have a little here and there without the rash coming back, but jeez what a pain in the ass that is.

I was diagnosed Celiac 2001, age 53. A month after 9-11, we were visiting some friends in Chicago. So I foolishly thought that "hell yes, I can eat some deep dish pizza, I'll just wash it down with a lot of red wine." So I ate the pizza, got rip-roaring drunk, had to get an early AM flight home to Seattle. So there we are, at O'Hare, me with the hang over from hell, staring at soldiers with M-16's. That will snap you out of whatever in a big hurry! I found out, after we got home that the M-16's were not loaded, but they got my attention.

My theory is that the number of vaccines, most of them live ones, our parents took made our immune systems sensitive right out of the womb.

Then we go through life as kids and adults getting more vaccines on top of those.

I think the cumulative effect of lifetime vaccination on the human body isn't studied as much as it should be.

My theory is that the number of vaccines, most of them live ones, our parents took made our immune systems sensitive right out of the womb.

Then we go through life as kids and adults getting more vaccines on top of those.

I think the cumulative effect of lifetime vaccination on the human body isn't studied as much as it should be.

I would ask you just how would live (attenuated) vaccines for MMR, etc...exactly alter our immune response to food?

I have food allergies as an adult that I did not have as a child. I now have a significant allergy to soy and peanut products which sucks because it's in nearly everything. Soybean and peanut oils are *the* worst.

I chalk up my food allergy up to medication that I take that constantly toys with my immune system, especially the various immunoglobulins. I lost my hair due to it so it doesn't surprise me that as time goes on, it has made my body sensitive to soy and peanuts.

There is no "eating through" a food allergy because the immune system treats the food as a foreign invader that must be defeated, and it wont' turn that function off no matter how much milk you drink, etc. You're just putting yourself in agony.

I developed a peanut allergy at 23 years old. By the sound of things, your allergy is much more severe than mine, but I can certainly understand your frustration. For the most part, I have to ingest myself to have any reaction, but there's been a few times where I've had a mild reaction without eating peanuts. It's not the best way to go through life, but I've learned to adapt in the last 6 years.

I certainly miss a good PB & J or a Reese's cup, but missing them is better than anaphylactic shock, am I right?

Coeliac, genetic. My daughter and I are great label readers. May have had it much longer than diagnosed, have normally avoided pasta, breads even as a young adult and always felt 'glugish' or with a stomach ache after pasta meals. Just thought it was 'normal'. Much better after.