Penalties are ridiculous and NO ONE CARES

dezertbill

Either this team is dumber than a rock or no one gives a crap.

Two drives killed by stupid presnap penalties. Long pass play into Ravens territory and a key third down conversion on 3 and 11 for a 12 yard gain. Same result. No scoring.

If your going to trade away all of your talent and try to sell your fans on putting a competitive team on the field, at least play players with half a brain and coaches who are half way talented and who give a crap about their job.

If McDermott comes out and commends the team when the penalty question comes up on their "effort" or praise how they actually had less than double digit penalties compared to the last few weeks than he is WEAK. All of this changing culture talk and making players accountable is BS. He's full of it. Pure and simple. He can take all of his wrestling and discipline talk back to Charlotte.

Bring refs to practice, bring Judge Judy. If your going to suck, at least put players who give a crap on the field. Or hire coaches who can coach.

Either that or take your frustrating and indisciplined 3-13 season and shove it.

Edited by dezertbill

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, they didn't trade away all their talent. They traded away 2 talented players, and got at least 1 talented player back, maybe 2 (time will tell with EJ Gaines).

And McDermott has only been here through 3 preseason games now. The penalty problem has been ongoing for years. It's not going to change overnight. Same with the culture. It may take getting rid of more players. There's only so much any coach can do. It's why a guy like Belichick, who is a hall of fame coach and one of the best ever, gets rid of talented players if they don't fit his scheme and culture. Some players will simply never change. A coach can't force them to if they're not willing.

Also, There were a LOT of tricky tack BS calls by the refs this preseason. It's been happening with every team, bit just the Bills. Let's see how it is in regular season. The refs may not bad with the flags.

It's not,like every penalty was a guy not giving a crap either. Some were just simple mistakes. It had nothing to do with not caring IMO.

I am blown away by how many seem to have turned on this new regime already, without ever even giving them a real chance. Did you truly think 17 years of losing and crappy culture was going to change by preseason game 3 of an entirely new regime top to bottom? The Bills have by far the longest playoff drought not just in football, in all of sports. That kind of thing doesn't just happen, not without years of ineptitude. It's not something that someone can come in, just snap their fingers say some magic words and fix.

You guys may not like it, but it's most likely going to take years before we know. Year 3 is when I expect to really start seeing the gains.

It's probably going to take dumping more of these players, bringing in new guys (through the draft and free agency) that fit this new culture and regime better.

And IMO they've tried their best to put players on the field that give a crap. Look at every single guy they've brought in - Tre White, Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins, even the later round picks like Vallejo, Milano and Peterman, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines - all of them to a man have said how all they care about is doing what's best for the team and all of them are noted as guys who are great teammates and people who really seem to care. Read some of the stuff about Tre White and Jordan Matthews for ex. About how much their team,ages loved them and how much they were willing to do to help their teams. You can't expect them to replace the entire team in a single offseason...

I will give McDermott 8 games. But when you preach discipline and then can't even line up correctly or pick up basic blocking schemes, we have a right to doubt him

I thought the refs were going overboard with some of those illegal formation calls. Even the announcers said that the refs must have got some memo on those calls. The Ravens were getting called for it too.

I don't think 8 game sis nearly enough to judge this new regime. They are clearly planning on building this team through the draft. So how can we fully judge them before they've even had a chance to put together a couple of drafts?

I want to see signs that things are moving in the right direction. But when I am really expecting the big gains is year 3. That's what happened in Carolina. In year 3 the defense took a huge step forward, to the #2 defense in the NFL (IIRC).

IMO this is a transition year while the coaches impliment new schemes and figure out who fits. Then year 2 they start filling in with more of their guys and ditching more guys who don't fit, while bringing in a bunch of rookies from the draft. Year 3 their 2nd draft will be joining the team and we should really get s good idea of the type of team that they will be.

I'm sick to death of the constant turn over of the coaching staffs. It never allows anyone time to actually build their vision. I truly believe that bad teams stay bad by constantly firing coaches/GMs and starting over with a new vision. We've seen it first hand - a bunch of good players leave because they no longer fit. I want to see what a coach can do if given 4 or preferably 5 years. Obviously if McD looks like a total disaster my opinion will probably change. But so far I think he's done a good job. I like his approach and I was a big fan of what he was able to do in Carolina.

I will give McDermott 8 games. But when you preach discipline and then can't even line up correctly or pick up basic blocking schemes, we have a right to doubt him

That's good of you to give him 8 games...I doubt many will be even that gracious...

But be prepared...It's going to take more than 8...New schemes, less talent, and an ownership that is firmly behind these guys long term and the plan in place...And I think they are nuking this by the time it's all said and done...

The only thing I wish is that they could be more honest about what is really going on...I do kind of understand why they won't be...It would just be nice to hear some brutal honesty...But make no mistake, this does not look even remotely like a good football team, and they know it...In fact I firmly believe that's kind of the plan...By the time this plan is fully implemented there will only be a handful of this current roster still around...And I think that day can't come soon enough for McD and Beane, despite all the process talk...Maybe that is the actual process...

The only question now is how high they will Draft and if they have to give up much of the collected capital to get the QB of the future...I know that does not do much for the discipline thing, and it's not going to make Sunday's any easier to watch this year...But it is what it is...Maybe I'll be wrong and they will shock me...But I really, really, doubt it right now... B-)

Pre-season football is usually more undisciplined... And if you noticed Baltimore had a ton more penalties than we did as well... It's the nature of the beast...

But the Bills are gonna suck this year... The only question is how badly?

Are the Bills really any better than the NYJ? I'm not convinced of that, no matter who is playing QB.

Cleveland may have found their QB of the future... I could see the Bills falling into the bottom three...

Either this team is dumber than a rock or no one gives a crap.

Two drives killed by stupid presnap penalties. Long pass play into Ravens territory and a key third down conversion on 3 and 11 for a 12 yard gain. Same result. No scoring.

If your going to trade away all of your talent and try to sell your fans on putting a competitive team on the field, at least play players with half a brain and coaches who are half way talented and who give a crap about their job.

If McDermott comes out and commends the team when the penalty question comes up on their "effort" or praise how they actually had less than double digit penalties compared to the last few weeks than he is WEAK. All of this changing culture talk and making players accountable is BS. He's full of it. Pure and simple. He can take all of his wrestling and discipline talk back to Charlotte.

Bring refs to practice, bring Judge Judy. If your going to suck, at least put players who give a crap on the field. Or hire coaches who can coach.

Either that or take your frustrating and indisciplined 3-13 season and shove it.

Man I don't even know where to begin I feel like a mosquito on a nude beach ,

First off, they didn't trade away all their talent. They traded away 2 talented players, and got at least 1 talented player back, maybe 2 (time will tell with EJ Gaines).

And McDermott has only been here through 3 preseason games now. The penalty problem has been ongoing for years. It's not going to change overnight. Same with the culture. It may take getting rid of more players. There's only so much any coach can do. It's why a guy like Belichick, who is a hall of fame coach and one of the best ever, gets rid of talented players if they don't fit his scheme and culture. Some players will simply never change. A coach can't force them to if they're not willing.

Also, There were a LOT of tricky tack BS calls by the refs this preseason. It's been happening with every team, bit just the Bills. Let's see how it is in regular season. The refs may not bad with the flags.

It's not,like every penalty was a guy not giving a crap either. Some were just simple mistakes. It had nothing to do with not caring IMO.

I am blown away by how many seem to have turned on this new regime already, without ever even giving them a real chance. Did you truly think 17 years of losing and crappy culture was going to change by preseason game 3 of an entirely new regime top to bottom? The Bills have by far the longest playoff drought not just in football, in all of sports. That kind of thing doesn't just happen, not without years of ineptitude. It's not something that someone can come in, just snap their fingers say some magic words and fix.

You guys may not like it, but it's most likely going to take years before we know. Year 3 is when I expect to really start seeing the gains.

It's probably going to take dumping more of these players, bringing in new guys (through the draft and free agency) that fit this new culture and regime better.

And IMO they've tried their best to put players on the field that give a crap. Look at every single guy they've brought in - Tre White, Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins, even the later round picks like Vallejo, Milano and Peterman, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines - all of them to a man have said how all they care about is doing what's best for the team and all of them are noted as guys who are great teammates and people who really seem to care. Read some of the stuff about Tre White and Jordan Matthews for ex. About how much their team,ages loved them and how much they were willing to do to help their teams. You can't expect them to replace the entire team in a single offseason...

Well said I couldn't agree more ,

The only thing that I disagree on is 3 years to see the actual gains , IMO 3 years from now we're better be talking about playoffs

Pre-season football is usually more undisciplined... And if you noticed Baltimore had a ton more penalties than we did as well... It's the nature of the beast...

But the Bills are gonna suck this year... The only question is how badly?

Are the Bills really any better than the NYJ? I'm not convinced of that, no matter who is playing QB.

Cleveland may have found their QB of the future... I could see the Bills falling into the bottom three...

This ^^^^^

From what I've seen so far ( and yes I know it's preseason)

I don't see how we can 5 games ,

That's good of you to give him 8 games...I doubt many will be even that gracious...

But be prepared...It's going to take more than 8...New schemes, less talent, and an ownership that is firmly behind these guys long term and the plan in place...And I think they are nuking this by the time it's all said and done...

The only thing I wish is that they could be more honest about what is really going on...I do kind of understand why they won't be...It would just be nice to hear some brutal honesty...But make no mistake, this does not look even remotely like a good football team, and they know it...In fact I firmly believe that's kind of the plan...By the time this plan is fully implemented there will only be a handful of this current roster still around...And I think that day can't come soon enough for McD and Beane, despite all the process talk...Maybe that is the actual process...

The only question now is how high they will Draft and if they have to give up much of the collected capital to get the QB of the future...I know that does not do much for the discipline thing, and it's not going to make Sunday's any easier to watch this year...But it is what it is...Maybe I'll be wrong and they will shock me...But I really, really, doubt it right now... B-)

this season is working perfectly, the season will be one long e v a l process on the 3-13 roster they inherited.. then they go from there with a new QB next year. its all good. just ignore this season completely

this season is working perfectly, the season will be one long e v a l process on the 3-13 roster they inherited.. then they go from there with a new QB next year. its all good. just ignore this season completely

You know, all 7 of the games last year's team won do count. And so do the offseason moves while Whaley was still here - McWrestler was clearly running the show.

BS calls that ended drives(called back 2 nice passes) on both tackles and the even up call on the Ravens happens on a 3rd and long where they didn't even make a 1st down.

The one holding call on Ritchie was BS too,he was guilty on the other one.

They are only playing like 5% of rhe offense, and without game planning. You really need to watch one on one who wins, not how the team plays together. Especially when there is a blitz and they have no hot reads installed, because again 5% of offense no game plan.

What would your posts look like with only the letters [K, T, A, N] allowed...well we know for some here it wouldn't be such a huge difference.

Last week, 131 yards.

This week 64 yards.

Less than half so aside from the crappy timing of when they happened, I'd say the trend is good.

I'm more concerned about Clay and Jones not holding onto the ball.

Way too many drops.