This will be a tough year for Bills fans and McDermott

gjv001

Show us the list of teams that has rebuilt by tanking for that first pick QB and then been to a Superbowl 2 or 3 years later while remaining a perennial playoff team?

And there is no guarantee that whatever QB you take next year whether you draft 1st or not is going to be successful in the NFL.

The truth of the matter is that to be good your organization has to recognize/evaluate talent better than the other teams while also doing many other things right. It is not where you draft. It is who you draft with whatever position you have available to you.

Your QB does not have to be taken in the top 5 picks of the draft. It is not even likely. History has proven this in the NFL again and again. No matter where the Bills draft next year, chances are, there is going to be a good QB prospect available to them. They have to identify that guy and draft him. Just like they need to do with every position. - or sign talented free agents

Spot on. That's why I keep saying giving up definite talent just to depend on the draft make absolutely no sense at all. High picks don't always guarantee success.

Not only that the Bills had ammo to grab a qb in the first round before they even made the recent trades. All they gained was a second round and a third round pick for another slot receiver and a so so cb.

This was just a new hot head GM wanting to make a bold statement and have everybody taking. This trade really didn't do the Bills any good. Even if you do luck up and get the qb you want, from the gate you're handicapping him because who is he gonna throw to, who's going to protect him? The o-line has plenty of issues that needs to be addressed. The receiving core is a bunch of slot receivers who can only create mis matches against lb's.

Then the new excuse will be let him learn he's a rookie, then it will be he need protection, then it will be he need weapons. Before you know it that's when some will finally realize this is the same ol Bills.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Freaking boo hoo. Really? A thread for this drivel? This board sucks worse and worse every single day. Congrats.

I have to agree with you. It sucks what is happening to this board. I know there will be people that say, then don't come to the board, or don't post. I live out here in So Cal and this is how I get my information. Oh well, 30 years of fandom and counting!

Go Bills!

Spot on. That's why I keep saying giving up definite talent just to depend on the draft make absolutely no sense at all. High picks don't always guarantee success.

Not only that the Bills had ammo to grab a qb in the first round before they even made the recent trades. All they gained was a second round and a third round pick for another slot receiver and a so so cb.

This was just a new hot head GM wanting to make a bold statement and have everybody taking. This trade really didn't do the Bills any good. Even if you do luck up and get the qb you want, from the gate you're handicapping him because who is he gonna throw to, who's going to protect him? The o-line has plenty of issues that needs to be addressed. The receiving core is a bunch of slot receivers who can only create mis matches against lb's.

Then the new excuse will be let him learn he's a rookie, then it will be he need protection, then it will be he need weapons. Before you know it that's when some will finally realize this is the same ol Bills.

What everyone seems to forget is we gave up a WR and CB (and I didn't like seeing Sammy go) and got back? A productive WR and a CB who like Darby had a very good rookie year.

Oh, and a second and third round pick. And gave up a 6th round.

As I said I didn't like trading Sammy. But deliberately misstating what was actually traded just shows an agenda.

I hate the whole "tank" phenomenon. Hate it. It's even worse for football, when there are so few games. As an old, long-time fan, I have to say, I just wasn't made for these times. I hate the fact that we are on the precipice of horrible season, and I hate that so many fellow fans are embracing it. Yuck...it's all wrong.

I completely agree Buftex. The thought of trying to lose makes me sick. I go into every season hoping that we are going to put a solid product on the field. And I hate watching any of my teams lose. The thought of tanking and winning 2 to 4 games is wretched. I know how I feel after a loss, and it pretty much ruins the rest of my Sunday. And it certainly takes away all my joy for the NFL. Just can't deal with my team losing week after week. I remember the 2001 season w Greg Williams at the helm and Rob Johnson and Alex Van Pelt at QB. The team was just awful. And went 2-14 or 3-13. There was no hope. Can't have that kind of thing going. I want us to put the best product on the field every week every year. If the Bills can not or will not do that, then move the dam team.

I am more optimistic then most about this years team. I think the defense will be much improved under McDermott. We still will have a great running game. And if Tyrod or Peterman can get it going, we should be competitive. And have you all seen McDermott's intensity? He was going bonkers after Philly's kicker missed an early FG. Who does that....in the preseason? I loved that. Replayed it a bunch of times. The guy is a nut. Anyone who is thinking about tanking in August is ridiculous.

trying to win games after you've already been eliminated has kept the bills from top-notch talent CONSISTENTLY.

Where is your evidence of consistency?

Last year they pulled the starting QB (a.k.a. playing not to win) in the last game when they were eliminated.

The likelihood of them doing the same thing this year is pretty high I would think. Does anyone think that they are going to keep playing Tyrod all year even if they are eliminated from the playoffs assuming Peterman is healthy? I bet most fans don't expect that.

What everyone seems to forget is we gave up a WR and CB (and I didn't like seeing Sammy go) and got back? A productive WR and a CB who like Darby had a very good rookie year.

Oh, and a second and third round pick. And gave up a 6th round.

As I said I didn't like trading Sammy. But deliberately misstating what was actually traded just shows an agenda.

OK Matthews is no Watkins and Gaines is no Darby. Just because they're cheaper options or could be cheaper options don't make Beane smart. Also do you think that Matthews will continue that production playing with Taylor? Remember he's a slot receiver, he's not a burner, he's another receiver that need tight passes thrown to him, and balls have to get to him the moment he makes his breaks. All things that Tyrod just isn't good at at all. So how much do you really expect from Matthews playing with Tyrod.

I didn't expect much from Sammy this season either and I been stated that but I think the Bills should've given him the opportunity to play with a real QB and go from there. I just wanted I see him stay healthy this season. Also it's much easier throwing to Watkins compared to Matthews. That would've helped Tyrod a little.

In that Philly game a lot showed. Tyrod need receivers that get wide open. If not things don't go to well for him. Right now the Bills don't have those types of recievers. They did but draft picks was more beneficial to a team that's claiming they're trying to win now.

OK Matthews is no Watkins and Gaines is no Darby. Just because they're cheaper options or could be cheaper options don't make Beane smart. Also do you think that Matthews will continue that production playing with Taylor? Remember he's a slot receiver, he's not a burner, he's another receiver that need tight passes thrown to him, and balls have to get to him the moment he makes his breaks. All things that Tyrod just isn't good at at all. So how much do you really expect from Matthews playing with Tyrod.

I didn't expect much from Sammy this season either and I been stated that but I think the Bills should've given him the opportunity to play with a real QB and go from there. I just wanted I see him stay healthy this season. Also it's much easier throwing to Watkins compared to Matthews. That would've helped Tyrod a little.

In that Philly game a lot showed. Tyrod need receivers that get wide open. If not things don't go to well for him. Right now the Bills don't have those types of recievers. They did but draft picks was more beneficial to a team that's claiming they're trying to win now.

And Darby is no Gaines. If it had been Gaines on the Bills and Darby on the Eagles and the trade happened, I suspect many here would be saying Gaines was the better player and we let him go.

I didn't like seeing Sammy go, but if you go back to when McDermott had to make the call on extending him they still had him on restricted activity, weren't sure about how his foot would hold up, and decided putting out a guarantee of over 10 million for a guy that may not play was not worth it. They decided to temporize and see how he did, the hopefully negotiate after he proved he was healthy. I believe something happened in between then and the trade that caused the Bills to make the deal, whether it was lingering injury concerns, cap issues, ability to re-sign him, or all the above.

Regardless, Matthews has put up some solid numbers with the Eagles, and Gaines is essentially Darby; had a great rookie year then a subpar second year. To me Darby and Gaines is a wash. You can debate the relative quality of these players, but it's time to quit saying they only did the trade for draft picks, because that is factually inaccurate. In fact, my belief is that they don't do either deal unless they got the player and the pick in trade.

They aren't bad enough to go 4-12 or 3-13.

They'll win at least 5, IMO.

If Vlad Duchesse starts they will be lucky to win 5 imo.

Right now games they should win Jets (2), and Miami (H), toss ups, Broncos, Chargers, Saints all at home...all the rest we would be underdogs if they lines were set today. Every team but the Jets, Saints (8), Miamii (7.5) and Chargers (7.5) have current over/uinder odds at 8.5 games or higher, on PAPER, we have a brutal schedule

I think for the Bills 6-10/ due to vastly improved coaching.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Blah blah blah - the level of pessimism on here never eases to amaze me.

We went 7-9 last year with a bad D and a coach that didn't know how many men to put on the field. If we don't win at least 8 or 9, we may have hired the wrong coach.

Let the draft picks fall where they may. KC with a late pick was perfectly able to draft a QB early.

I think the term I read was "middling". The Bills have been able to maintain a "middling " level of success which keeps the fans hopeful, and fills the seats. I believe McDermott and Beane when they say they WANT to win this year, of course they want to. If they have faith, and "follow the process" maybe 9-7 will happen. it would take a near miracle to make the playoffs

If he doesn't make the playoffs in three years, he's gone. And that is the catch 22 that has been haunting this franchise for 17 years. It looks like this year is going to be brutal. There will be far too many fans calling for his head this year, let alone next year if we finish, if we're lucky, 8-8, and miss the playoffs again.

Everyone says tank on this board, when it happens they won't tolerate it and be calling for heads

McBean duo will last two years

I tend to agree.

When the team is looking absolutely awful, fans won't stand for it.

Well that's just tough. We've waited this long, what's another couple years. I'm all for trading TT & Shady if it means getting more pick to trade up and get Darnold or at least Allen.

Step 1. Tank

Step 2. Rebuild

Step 3. Playoffs and Continuity

As others have said we've already started the process. Now let's finish it.

If he doesn't make the playoffs in three years, he's gone. And that is the catch 22 that has been haunting this franchise for 17 years. It looks like this year is going to be brutal. There will be far too many fans calling for his head this year, let alone next year if we finish, if we're lucky, 8-8, and miss the playoffs again.

then the owner needs to tune out the fans and actually allow his management team to execute. The constant turnover has killed the franchise for years.

Well that's just tough. We've waited this long, what's another couple years. I'm all for trading TT & Shady if it means getting more pick to trade up and get Darnold or at least Allen.

Step 1. Tank

Step 2. Rebuild

Step 3. Playoffs and Continuity

As others have said we've already started the process. Now let's finish it.

4. Hope Brady retires within the next 5 years, give the teams hoping to go 6-10 a shot at the division.

It's not going to be a tough year because expectations are so low. Tough years are when expectations are high and the team fails to meet them.

There's nothing this team can do this year to piss the fans off because I've never seen so much hopelessness before a season has begun. It's strange, actually.