This will be a tough year for Bills fans and McDermott

gjv001

Honestly, I have been following the Bills for too long to trust them to go all in on a top 10 QB, and have it work out...this franchise has never been able to develop a QB, at least in the modern era. Kelly came to them with two years of slinging the ball all over in the USFL. Flutie and Bledsoe were as good as they were going to be by the time the Bills got them...Ferguson had a long careeer, but it was a much different era, and QB's had much more time to hone their craft. There hasn't been much else...hate feeling so bad about this team, because, even in the worst of times, I am normally mister optimist by late August...I just am not seeing anything to hang our hats on for the forseeable future. I am hopeful McDermott can deliver and make this a respectable defense once again, but I think we are 3 years away, minimum, from being a playoff contender....and even that depends on a high rate of return on all of these draft picks.

Is it really relevant to dredge up the 50+ years of Ralph Wilson owned teams to what the Pegula's are trying to do? It might be three years, to me that is highly preferred instead of patchwork mediocre to sub par teams ad nauseam.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Bills fans heart on game day will be saying win. However, winning will be contrary to the strategic

goal of having the best position in the 2018 draft to obtain a franchise QB. Perhaps the same for

McDermott.

"I'm sure he's aware that to be a great NFL coach you have to have a great QB."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells disagree, though I will admit having a elite QB will make your job easier.

I am waiting to see how a few things shake out before I say that......

Boldin? Didnt look like his heart was in it.

Watkins? Wasnt on the field last year and we were STILL 10th in points scored

Defense? Already looks better then last years

Overall the WR core might actually be better then last years (keep in mind I say that with our 2 best wideouts nursing injuries)

A Bills fans heart on game day will be saying win. However, winning will be contrary to the strategic

goal of having the best position in the 2018 draft to obtain a franchise QB. Perhaps the same for

McDermott. I'm sure he's aware that to be a great NFL coach you have to have a great QB.

you seem to have put some serious thought in to this post or have I heard this sad song somewhere before?

let the season play out as it will

the tank song, really sucks but loser mentality is the level of some even though they have this impression, losing would be better for draft position?

that may be true and if they do and don't hit on a player. who will be crying then?

#tankmentalitysucks

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I tend to agree.

When the team is looking absolutely awful, fans won't stand for it.

The Bills don't give a flying fukpellet about the fans they haven't for years. Might as well build it right. Unfortunately from the ground up. The last 17 years people have been pissed and it changed nothing. People will still got to games and support the team you know it and I know it.

I am waiting to see how a few things shake out before I say that......

Boldin? Didnt look like his heart was in it.

Watkins? Wasnt on the field last year and we were STILL 10th in points scored

Defense? Already looks better then last years

Overall the WR core might actually be better then last years (keep in mind I say that with our 2 best wideouts nursing injuries)

Am I missing something on the quality of the WR corps? In my view the corps (in part due to Watkins's injury) was poor last year. But I wonder how it has improved since then.

Also, in typically "Billsy" fashion, our top two WRs are best suited to slot duty. And we have invested heavily in TE and FB. But I'll trust the process.

The Bills don't give a flying fukpellet about the fans they haven't for years. Might as well build it right. Unfortunately from the ground up. The last 17 years people have been pissed and it changed nothing. People will still got to games and support the team you know it and I know it.

And doing the same "re tool" crap for 17 years hasn't worked either. Blow it up, rebuild it right. We will hit on some picks, miss on others. It is just the way things are, but you MUST TRY.

Everyone says tank on this board, when it happens they won't tolerate it and be calling for heads

McBean duo will last two years

Fans can stuff it up their yoohoo.. Time for ownership to stick with a coach and GM through the thin. if fans want to B word and moan.. Who cares.. At this point we have to get assets for any player that won't be here after next season. More then likely this season is going to be tough to handle and 7-9 records are counter productive to any long term goal

And doing the same "re tool" crap for 17 years hasn't worked either. Blow it up, rebuild it right. We will hit on some picks, miss on others. It is just the way things are, but you MUST TRY.

How many teams have tanked to get a QB and then won a Superbowl shortly thereafter while remaining a perennial playoff team? Must be a lot by your logic huh? How many?

Fans can stuff it up their yoohoo.. Time for ownership to stick with a coach and GM through the thin. if fans want to B word and moan.. Who cares.. At this point we have to get assets for any player that won't be here after next season. More then likely this season is going to be tough to handle and 7-9 records are counter productive to any long term goal

Not if your goal is to win as many games as possible every year. Doh!

Ass backwards way of doing things.

You don't trade young, talented players for draft picks. It is absolutely asinine.

They got two young talented players back plus two draft picks. I still don't like the Sammy trade but I get sick of you deliberately misstating what actually happened in the trades.

How many teams have tanked to get a QB and then won a Superbowl shortly thereafter while remaining a perennial playoff team? Must be a lot by your logic huh? How many?

Not if your goal is to win as many games as possible every year. Doh!

I don't expect us to compete for a championship, even with our QB, for a couple years. But every year we put it off (17 now) that 2-3 year realistic window just keeps getting pushed back

Clean house, rebuild right and then we can truly have that 2-3 year realistic window to be able to compete for the AFCE / AFC /Superbowl title

As I see it there are two ways to do this. Either build everything but QB and fill that position last, or strip down the offensive skill positions, keep the lines as intact as possible, and hope that the QB acquired through the draft can make the skill positions better. I completely agree that a complete tear down is a terrible idea. It will take three years to replenish the roster under that scenario and, in the meantime, we risk getting the new QB killed. Edited by SectionC3

i'm kinda numb down that after repeated kicks over the last decade or so.

the last one I remember was at the KC goalline about to score and make it a sure win

next thing i knew the Chiefs took the turnover to the hizzy.

I don't expect us to compete for a championship, even with our QB, for a couple years. But every year we put it off (17 now) that 2-3 year realistic window just keeps getting pushed back

Clean house, rebuild right and then we can truly have that 2-3 year realistic window to be able to compete for the AFCE / AFC /Superbowl title

Show us the list of teams that has rebuilt by tanking for that first pick QB and then been to a Superbowl 2 or 3 years later while remaining a perennial playoff team?

As I see it there are two ways to do this. Either build everything but QB and fill that position last, or strip down the offensive skill positions, keep the lines as intact as possible, and hope that the QB acquired through the draft can make the skill positions better. I completely agree that a complete tear down is a terrible idea. It will take three years to replenish the roster under that scenario and, in the meantime, we risk getting the new QB killed.

And there is no guarantee that whatever QB you take next year whether you draft 1st or not is going to be successful in the NFL.

The truth of the matter is that to be good your organization has to recognize/evaluate talent better than the other teams while also doing many other things right. It is not where you draft. It is who you draft with whatever position you have available to you.

Your QB does not have to be taken in the top 5 picks of the draft. It is not even likely. History has proven this in the NFL again and again. No matter where the Bills draft next year, chances are, there is going to be a good QB prospect available to them. They have to identify that guy and draft him. Just like they need to do with every position. - or sign talented free agents