Eclipse Buffalo: April 8th, 2024

Captain_Quint

Yesterday left me wanting more eclipse So many cool pictures and experiences.

Buffalo is in the path of totality for the next one, which is right around the corner (relatively speaking). I figured we could at least get the conversation started about events and parties for it.

Im thinking Hammers Lot with Goo Goo Dolls headlining.

Also, anyone have a direct link to China for some knock off eclipse glasses that we can get on the cheap?

We're open to all suggestions and will be forming a TBD Eclipse committee in the near future.

Lets make this the best eclipse yet!

Already told Mrs Electric that this is "forced family fun", 7 years out - #totalityorbust

We'll be booking flights to Austin and Buffalo on Southwest, make a call 48 hours before based on weather.

Early April in Buffalo doesn't offer the best weather conditions, but who knows what happens...

I'd put Jackson,WY or Sun Valley, ID as #1 spots to view 2017, but 2024? Niagara Falls might be the top destination in the country.

Already told Mrs Electric that this is "forced family fun", 7 years out - #totalityorbust

We'll be booking flights to Austin and Buffalo on Southwest, make a call 48 hours before based on weather.

Early April in Buffalo doesn't offer the best weather conditions, but who knows what happens...

I'd put Jackson,WY or Sun Valley, ID as #1 spots to view 2017, but 2024? Niagara Falls might be the top destination in the country.

friend of mine had her Instagram filled with her video from Jackson hole. Amazing.

friend of mine had her Instagram filled with her video from Jackson hole. Amazing.

Good video that shows how quickly it got dark, then light again, in Jackson.

https://pjmedia.com/video/cbs-reporter-absolutely-blown-away-solar-eclipse/

Totality is just a different ball game! Friend of mine is working in Moran, WY, called it a all time memory.

Historical weather for April 8 .. 7/10 past April 8 have had some sort of precipitation. May look elsewhere (But of course, each day is different from the next), although it'd be a blast to be in Buffalo.

2008: No Rain / No Snow

2009: Trace

2010: Rain

2011: No Rain / No Snow

2012: Trace

2013: Rain

2014: Rain

2015: Rain

2016: Snow

2017: No Rain / No Snow

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBUF/2008/4/8/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

(yes, I had some time to kill :rolleyes: )

Goo Goo Dolls? :bag:

That kind of attitude wont win you a spot on the committee.

Goo Goo Dolls will have to be lured out of retirement, but theyll do it for a once in a lifetime event like this will be.

Our new waterfront stadium might be a good spot, too, at that point.

I called the Chamber of Commerce and they downplayed it like we have time, but I told her to write it down somewhere.

Thank you, good to read this!

Playoffs for the Bills by then?

Get ready man, we are goin...

Historical weather for April 8 .. 7/10 past April 8 have had some sort of precipitation.

Cloud cover is what you really want to research. Here's a good site for reference:

https://weatherspark.com/y/20372/Average-Weather-in-Buffalo-New-York-United-States

It doesn't look promising though, and even in southern Texas it's around a 50-50 shot.

April 8th... What do weather patterns say for BFLo that time of year?

It sucked here by Lake yesterday, but wife and daughter 20 miles south picked up more breaks in clouds?

Mutha Nature... Please dont let us down in 7 years! We endure too much!

Why is cloud cover, etc. a big deal. You're going from light to darkness, right?

Nigeria is due for a total eclipse in 2034.

I'm sure the Prince of Nigeria will politely reserve for you one spot if you were to kindly remit a sum of large $ US

Just got off of an email chat with him and he agreed. Thanks for the tip! We may have some room on the finance board for you.

Why is cloud cover, etc. a big deal. You're going from light to darkness, right?

No, when totality happens it is an extraordinary event. The sun's corona very suddenly becomes visible around the darkest moon you have ever seen.

There are sunset colors 360 degrees around you on every horizon, bright stars and planets become visible, and the temperature drops like a stone.

It is a scene straight out of 1950's science fiction, and you want an unobstructed view. I hope everyone on this board gets to experience it

Edited by coloradobillsfan

Yesterday left me wanting more eclipse So many cool pictures and experiences.

Buffalo is in the path of totality for the next one, which is right around the corner (relatively speaking). I figured we could at least get the conversation started about events and parties for it.

Im thinking Hammers Lot with Goo Goo Dolls headlining.

Also, anyone have a direct link to China for some knock off eclipse glasses that we can get on the cheap?

We're open to all suggestions and will be forming a TBD Eclipse committee in the near future.

Lets make this the best eclipse yet!

The glasses cost like $2, get some that actually work. Don't lose your sight over $1.50. Maybe that's just me..... :)

No, when totality happens it is an extraordinary event. The sun's corona very suddenly becomes visible around the darkest moon you have ever seen.

There are sunset colors 360 degrees around you on every horizon, bright stars and planets become visible, and the temperature drops like a stone.

It is a scene straight out of 1950's science fiction, and you want an unobstructed view. I hope everyone on this board gets to experience it

So, what happens if it's cloudy?

So, what happens if it's cloudy?

I didn't see schit on Monday, caught a little bit to start... And a crescent near max. Besides that, @ 90% it got like dusky out. In totality, probably just gets darker.

Think positive! We've been doing it w/the Bills & Sabres for eternity, got lots of practice! ;-)

Here are the other years for this century... In Northern and Western Hemis:

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/files/2017/08/North-American-eclipses.png&w=480

Start planning your trips I guess?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

"Perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world."

And even with glasses, what dolt stares at the sun and just vegs out, fixed in one spot? You aren't suppose to stare at the sun.

So in best Chinese voice:

"Why you not trust me! Take these knockoffs, they good knockoffs, you no go blind... You trust me, they good glasses!"