well...forget about that 3rd round comp pick

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW was replaced with Matthews. Boldin was going to move down the depth chart. That really didn't change Holmes' value. If Boldin had looked good out there and stayed, then Holmes would be gone for sure.

If Matthews gets healthy Holmes is no higher than the #3 WR. Ducasse has been a dumpster fire. Davis is solid but expendable with EY kicking butt.

Who wouldn't trade their #3 for a 3rd round pick?

The Patriots make these moves all the time...it's part of the way they've built their team.

You couldn't trade Andre Holmes, Ryan Davis and Vlad Ducasse for a 3rd round pick...cutting fringe players, at best, is definitely worth a 3rd round pick.

I'd rather keep Brandon Reilly, bring back Kolby Listenbee or sign Dorial Green-Beckham, than keep Andre Holmes...he's 29 years old, with 1,400 yards and 12 TD's in 6 seasons.

(You can find an Andre Holmes anywhere, just like they found Justin Hunter and his 4 TD's last year...you can easily find someone cheaper to provide 250 yards and 2 TD's per season.)

The Patriots make these moves all the time...it's part of the way they've built their team.

You couldn't trade Andre Holmes, Ryan Davis and Vlad Ducasse for a 3rd round pick...cutting fringe players, at best, is definitely worth a 3rd round pick.

I'd rather keep Brandon Reilly, bring back Kolby Listenbee or sign Dorial Green-Beckham, than keep Andre Holmes...he's 29 years old, with 1,400 yards and 12 TD's in 6 seasons.

(You can find an Andre Holmes anywhere, just like they found Justin Hunter and his 4 TD's last year...you can easily find someone cheaper to provide 250 yards and 2 TD's per season.)

Justin Hunter may be available if the Steelers cut him.

Sammy traded

Boldin retires

I really thought there was a chance that Holmes might get cut in that 3rd round comp pick formula.......I dont think that is happening now.

Too bad...we wont have an extra 3rd round pick for everyone to complain about who we take with it and demand we cut before they ever step on the field. Bummer

Beane was not the GM that signed Hauschka, or Ducasse, or Holmes, or Davis.

That is true. But I've read about a dozen articles following Beane's hiring about how in lockstep Beane/McDermott/the whole FO is, and how the Bills as an organization finally have a common vision that everyone is working towards. So if the argument is, "nothing that happened pre-Beane can be held against the current FO", I'm not buying it.

Agreed....I was just thinking about this and how it looks like we have an excellent DL AND depth

Yup. And the LB and secondary are looking decent as well.

The main concern is now OL and receivers.

That is true. But I've read about a dozen articles following Beane's hiring about how in lockstep Beane/McDermott/the whole FO is, and how the Bills as an organization finally have a common vision that everyone is working towards. So if the argument is, "nothing that happened pre-Beane can be held against the current FO", I'm not buying it.

The "common vision" talk is just standard lip service. I think every new front office wants it to be known that they are all working lockstep toward a championship. It's no different than a FA coming here and saying "this is a perfect fit for me" or "this is where I always wanted to be" or my favorite, "I really think this team has the talent to win it all". Time will tell -- if the three players are gone from the team before week 10, there will be no doubt who was making those acquisitions back in March.

I say the bye week is the week we hand it over to Peterman. His skill set works best for this offence, short drops, quick discussions, accurate short timing throws and he is mobile. I know people are going to say he was a 5th round pick and I'm not saying he will be the long term answer. However, TT is best suited when he can take deep drops allowing him to see over the line and tempting lineman to veer out of their rush lanes allowing TT the option to take off.

Not that you're saying this exactly, but I found your post funny. It struck me as, how dare a guy look good?

Yeah, that bastige!

No, it's a good problem to have. The late 3rd round comp pick would have been nice, but if they can get depth players like Davis for cheap, I'm fine with it. However I do not want them keeping scrubs like Ducasse and blowing the comp pick.

Sammy traded

Boldin retires

I really thought there was a chance that Holmes might get cut in that 3rd round comp pick formula.......I dont think that is happening now.

I don't know what kind of crap GM foregoes a potential 3rd round compensatory pick for a pittance like a second round pick.

Beane needs to be fired, with Whaley re-hired and fired again just for spite!

The "common vision" talk is just standard lip service. I think every new front office wants it to be known that they are all working lockstep toward a championship. It's no different than a FA coming here and saying "this is a perfect fit for me" or "this is where I always wanted to be" or my favorite, "I really think this team has the talent to win it all". Time will tell -- if the three players are gone from the team before week 10, there will be no doubt who was making those acquisitions back in March.

I agree with all of this, to an extent. (Given that McDermott and Beane worked together in Carolina, and there were tons of reports that Beane would be the guy to replace Whaley, I think they're probably more in sync than most of the GM/HC combos we've had.) I firmly believe that the Bills won't cut enough qualifying free agents to earn any comp picks next year. But if they do, then yes - clearly Beane's hire had an impact on the FO's overall thinking.

• 2 weeks later...