Sammy Watkins Trade on it's own and not from a draft junkie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The final factor determining whether this helped the Bills will be Sammy's longevity. If he stays healthy over the next 3 years and we've seen what he can do when he's healthy it will be a complete disaster. If he gets hurts that this season and the trade was brilliant. I love Sammy and I know if he had stayed healthy his whole career he would have been absolutely dynamic, but we just can't wait anymore.

I have never seen so many white flags and towels in the ring.

New coach & GM who haven't even played a single game yet and fans are asking for a divorce.

Sad really.

What's sad really is trading away top talent for little in return because you MIGHT not be able to re-sign the player. The only reason why being that you failed to pick up a fifth year option that would keep the player here until after 2018. Sad also is the amount of fans willing to excuse the new coach and GM who have no track record to look back on and say in the we trust. This is a move made in the name of PR: looking kind of bad now vs looking "dumb" ( in the words of Peter King in his MMQB column) next spring if Watkins produces and they fail to re sign him. That's sad. Winning should be priority #1 not spin and damage control .

I was pointing out that drafts are a crapshoot and there are a # of factors that come into play.

I used Brady as an example that if Bledsoe was never injured, would he be who he is today.

Second rounders are no sure things. A top 4 choice usually does okay.

I agree with all this, except the top 4 picks thing. Lots of guys int he top of the draft flame out.

My point is Sammy being a Top 5 is based all on potential( or a crapshoot) right now, he has not produced at a Top 5 level to date in any season. And I agree a ton of factors can, and have played into that, including small, nagging injuries in year 1 and 2. Those are the injuries that scare me, ones where he still plays, but prevent him from fully utilizing the awesome physical talents he possesses.

I still have no clue how Bledsoe/Bradimpactts this discussion.

What's sad really is trading away top talent for little in return because you MIGHT not be able to re-sign the player. The only reason why being that you failed to pick up a fifth year option that would keep the player here until after 2018. Sad also is the amount of fans willing to excuse the new coach and GM who have no track record to look back on and say in the we trust. This is a move made in the name of PR: looking kind of bad now vs looking "dumb" ( in the words of Peter King in his MMQB column) next spring if Watkins produces and they fail to re sign him. That's sad. Winning should be priority #1 not spin and damage control .

Dumb.

Here here...... Bang on.

The new regime has waved the white flag this year. Any success will be a fluke as the best players were traded.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Here here...... Bang on.

The new regime has waved trhe white flag this year. An y success will be a fluke as the best players were traded.

I, also, am going to chalk up to luck any success the Bills have this season as a result of trades I don't understand.

Beane wasn't here when the decision on the fifth was made, I'm pretty sure.

But don't let that stop your rant.

I understand how amazing Sammy looks because us bills fans are not used to seeing talent. It's the same way many were infatuated with spiller....

I actually don't even care much about his injury history he missed 11 of 48 games.

Independent of that, I just don't get the group think consensus that a guy that who is 20th in the NFL among active WRs, for average yds per game is an irreplaceable "top 5 talent"

A number of the other guys ahead of him have bad teams, poor schemes and sub par QBs.

Results matter...

Pretty spot on.

They could have afforded him but they chose not to. I'm not saying that's right or wrong but it's what they decided.

The Bills have a new coaching staff, new front office, but one thing remains the same over the past few years and that's the training staff. For all we know they may have given Beane and McD an earful about Sammy always being hurt. You can argue about how good this training staff is or not, but one thing they do have is many years experience and it may be that based on that they can tell when you have a guy who's always complaining about some little boo boo and not one to suck it up.

That may have been enough to convince Beane that no matter how well Watkins played this season (and likely being a contract year, the boo boos will go away much faster) he wasn't worth a long term deal as likely once he has the LT deal the number of visits to the training staff will be in direct proportion to the millions he signs for.

The Bills have a new coaching staff, new front office, but one thing remains the same over the past few years and that's the training staff. For all we know they may have given Beane and McD an earful about Sammy always being hurt. You can argue about how good this training staff is or not, but one thing they do have is many years experience and it may be that based on that they can tell when you have a guy who's always complaining about some little boo boo and not one to suck it up.

That may have been enough to convince Beane that no matter how well Watkins played this season (and likely being a contract year, the boo boos will go away much faster) he wasn't worth a long term deal as likely once he has the LT deal the number of visits to the training staff will be in direct proportion to the millions he signs for.

1,2,3 stretch......2,3,4 stretch.

Because the last 17 years makes you so confident.

The NFL draft is a crap shoot. Coaching and skill players are what wins games.....

Save your breath. Buffalo hated Watkins since he got here because he took an extra 1rst round pick to get. No one really likes to acknoweldge the fact that's what it would have cost to get any player, but they never got over it. He could have been Jerry Rice, but everyone will always have wanted to draft Justin Gilbert #19 the following year...

Just reading the original now 89 page reaction to the trade and more and more pathetic.

17 years no playoffs and not really a meaningful game in December and this is the way the sh$t on the fans......

Trade their most dynamic offensive player and explain it all away that they acquired draft picks!!!!!!

This staff has proven nothing and told everyone that 2017 is a write off after tickets have been sold and the team has already locked in their profits.

Only the Draft geeks are excited, and don't worry they'll be pissed come draft day when the Bills don't select their player.......

Great at least now I don't even have to bother with the September-November games and all the annual false hope when the Bills are 4-3 or something and playoff possibilities, because we know that isn't what they are playing for.