Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Final Day

I know what he meant by it.

It is just my opinion that Sammy was more of a team player than either Hughes or Dareus has been or is. So that excuse rings hollow with me. Very poor excuse. He is grasping at straws for an excuse to justify downgrading at WR this year when they certainly didn't have to.

I'm not even talking about 'team players' at this point, I'm talking about positions of value.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily so. Talent can add immensely to a team, if the talent is part of the team. But to draft and retain talented players to the detriment of wins and losses will not get you to the promised land. In addition the talented player will inevitably move on to teams that are already achieving success without them. In that condition they become superstars and you sit with egg on your face. Talented players will always come along, but first let's have a team in place where they can be a difference maker. Case in point Marshawn Lynch, etc.

Marshawn Lynch is a poor example for what you're trying to prove as he was a huge key on a team that went to consecutive Super Bowls where they should have won both. He has a ring. Try again.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I did not think Seymour played well at all last year.

I'm aware of Wright's struggles, but frankly he's the only boundary corner that both fits the scheme and has experience starting

Seymour was the highest rated rookie in completion percentage against last year. Is that not playing well? And it was by a considerable margine

SEAN MCDERMOTT: "IMPROVE IN EVERY AREA" (13:31)

Bills Head Coach Sean McDermott addressed the media prior to the final practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College topics include; competition at the wide receiver position, ways he wants to improve in the second preseason game, and an injury update.

DHR5W1AWAAIW5h9.jpg

Marshawn Lynch is a poor example for what you're trying to prove as he was a huge key on a team that went to consecutive Super Bowls where they should have won both. He has a ring. Try again.

He was a huge key - But they also had the number 1 defense in scoring, and yardage (and probably any other metric you can find). It's a team game.

Still not a great example to use a first team all-pro player. But i think the idea is that you can lose a lynch or watkins or whatever... and still be a good team because of the players and environment around them. The broncos, seahawks, steelers, and packers are a good example of this - Yes the QB is a huge part of this, but only if he's the right QB for the team/system.

Edited by dneveu

ML is a perfect example of a player with talent that went to a "team" poised to make a run, and was integral in doing it. His talent here, although great to see only led to more seasons of futility. Not because of him, but because we never really built a team since the days when butler gutted this team by holding on to players past their prime and drafting poorly, then leaving town for the chargers. Were we going to playoffs with two players that were probably not going to be here, when and if we finally started to perform as a team?

Seymour was the highest rated rookie in completion percentage against last year. Is that not playing well? And it was by a considerable margine

I haven't seen that statistic. I do remember specifically him having trouble in the slot against NE, and the lessons that Crabtree and Cooper against Oakland.

When talking about a guy that only played a handful of snaps most games (only played more than 15 defensive snaps 3x), I find it most appropriate to look at his largest sample spaces, which would be Cincinnati (40), Oakland (69), and the Jets (60).

He seemed to fair well in the Cinci game, but after Gilmore knocked Green from that contest, the whole defense appeared to have things under control, so it's hard to single him out. He got beat for 2 TDs against Oakland, and had some trouble in spots against Charone Peake in the final Jets game.

Again, it's just my opinion here.

He isn't just talking about character. He's trying to build a team which means some positions are valued over others. He doesn't see elite WRs as necessary to win a championship, the money can be better spent elsewhere. Plus QB is the most important thing and he added picks that make it easer to draft a good one. There are multiple reasons it made sense to trade Sammy.

The list of reasons to trade Sammy right now is WAY shorter and less meaningful than the reasons to NOT trade him.

I'll stop there as this isn't a Sammy trade thread. But I had to say it since you brought it up.

If the coaches don't value top talent at the receiver position (that is already on the team instead of having the draft gamble) then fine. It still isn't a reason to ditch one of your top 3 offensive threats, especially when the guy was dirt cheap this year and in a contract year where he is expected to give 110%. And then pretend that having a second round pick next year is somehow better for this team than having an already proven top tier receiver - It's just stupid.

The list of reasons to trade Sammy right now is WAY shorter and less meaningful than the reasons to NOT trade him.

I'll stop there as this isn't a Sammy trade thread. But I had to say it since you brought it up.

If the coaches don't value top talent at the receiver position (that is already on the team instead of having the draft gamble) then fine. It still isn't a reason to ditch one of your top 3 offensive threats, especially when the guy was dirt cheap this year and in a contract year where he is expected to give 110%. And then pretend that having a second round pick next year is somehow better for this team than having an already proven top tier receiver - It's just stupid.

Haha. And that's why you aren't the GM or HC. I get what McD is trying to do....build a team, not just accumulate talent. Not to mention Sammy's injury history. I mean, the guy aggravated his foot during training camp.

Haha. And that's why you aren't the GM or HC. I get what McD is trying to do....build a team, not just accumulate talent. Not to mention Sammy's injury history. I mean, the guy aggravated his foot during training camp.

No, he didn't.

He tweaked his ankle and missed a few plays of practice.

What if I told you there are talented players with high character? Not everyone is Sammy Watkins complaining to local media about his targets and claiming his draft class will change salaries around the league. Maybe McDermott doesn't like players that care more about their targets and their money than winning.

I agree, I think Dareus is only still here because of his contract. He doesn't fit the mold of player that McDermott looks for. But as it stands his contract makes him impossible to cut and he's talented so might as well keep him here.

By that logic if Randy Moss were in his prime and available the right move would be to pass?

If Sammy isn't in the plans for next year and the Bills don't realistically think Super Bowl is happening this year, trading Sammy is the logical move. You can argue that Sammy should have been in the plans, or that the Bills are a Super Bowl contender with him on the team. You can't argue we would have been better off renting him for a year and letting him walk for nothing. That just isn't sensible.

If Sammy isn't in the plans for next year and the Bills don't realistically think Super Bowl is happening this year, trading Sammy is the logical move. You can argue that Sammy should have been in the plans, or that the Bills are a Super Bowl contender with him on the team. You can't argue we would have been better off renting him for a year and letting him walk for nothing. That just isn't sensible.

A 24 year old WR who's a game changer should be part of the plan moving forward and especially so if the plan is (as it seems) to acquire a Franchise QB.

If Rex can coach Buffalo to a .500 record, I believe McD, even in his first year, can do as good or better. That's just my opinion of course.

That is my opinion too.

I think the defense will play a lot better this year, and I think the offense will be just as good as last year too.

No reason why they can't have a better record than last year.