Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Final Day

I did not think Seymour played well at all last year.

I'm aware of Wright's struggles, but frankly he's the only boundary corner that both fits the scheme and has experience starting

The only thing that stood out to me is the Raider game where he bit on the double move from Amari Cooper. Outside of that, I thought he played well.

I think he's been doing well in camp this year because immediately after returning from his foot injury, he was thrown in with the 1's.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a short one. Guess they're all ready to get out of there.

did they even practice today...haven't seen any tweets.

@JaySkurski

Nathan Peterman, who will play with the second team Thursday, has looked good today, including a couple completions to Rod Streater. #Bills

GLENN'S STATUS NOW WEEK TO WEEK AFTER FOOT INJECTION

cordy-glenn-8-4-story.jpg

Cordy Glenn's foot injury took an interesting turn Tuesday and Jordan Matthews shouldn't be out for an extended period of time.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The only player I care about improving each day is Petermen. If I hear good things about him getting better and he looks the part in pre-season, this season will be a success even if they only win 4 games. Go out and draft another QB next year and let's get this thing rolling. I wish they could trade Shady and Tyrod, get a couple more 2nd or 3rd rounders and then load up on the skill positions at the draft. I would rather see the future on the field this year over dead men walking.

I'm probably in the minority here but I love all this bickering. I consider this a bi-product of going from Rex and his relaxed atmosphere to someone trying to take control. Personally, I would be trying to agitate to see who can handle it and who can't and slash the ones who won't confirm. To me football is like war, coaches lead and players fight. If you have soldiers who won't follow orders or stay disciplined you will load every time. I would completely dismantle a team to establish total command and control if I had to if I was in charge.

I'm probably in the minority here but I love all this bickering. I consider this a bi-product of going from Rex and his relaxed atmosphere to someone trying to take control. Personally, I would be trying to agitate to see who can handle it and who can't and slash the ones who won't confirm. To me football is like war, coaches lead and players fight. If you have soldiers who won't follow orders or stay disciplined you will load every time. I would completely dismantle a team to establish total command and control if I had to if I was in charge.

It is?

Apparently a team devoid of talent is the plan.

McDermott: "we're building a team not accumulating talent"

Pretty soon they will start bringing in McDermott's buddies from back in high school. After all, who cares about talent. It's all about the team. And I bet he still has a tight bond with those chums from back in school.

Maybe they can make a big paper banner that the players can run through when they stampede out of the tunnel before each game. That would be very team-ish.

Maybe they can get a touchdown Jesus like Notre Dame.

Or perhaps this one:

2292773034_7b5f18d676.jpg

Edited by PolishDave

I said this earlier in the thread - as soon as he said that I felt he mis-spoke. I think he meant to say building a team vs just collection of individual talents

It is?

To me any organization that requires a group of individuals to come together as and work as a disciplined group should look at the military as an example. The point isn't to just be a prick, the point is to establish strict structure.

I said this earlier in the thread - as soon as he said that I felt he mis-spoke. I think he meant to say building a team vs just collection of individual talents

If that was his primary concern then guys like Hughes and Dareus should have been gone by now. If you're gonna talk the talk - better walk it too.

Exactly. I took it as he doesn't want to have, or pay for, talent just anywhere because they are talented. They have priority positions that they will focus on and pay a premium for, and role players to fill in the rest. It is an unfortunate necessity in a capped league.

That isn't to say he won't take talent where he can find it in the draft, but the team has priorities and a vision when it comes to the roster. The roster we've had the past 2 years has been very talented, but it's amounted to .500 or worse.

If that was his primary concern then guys like Hughes and Dareus should have been gone by now. If you're gonna talk the talk - better walk it too.

Hughes and Dareus play positions that we seem to value, though Dareus' contract may be the only thing actually keeping him here. Seems like we want front 7 players on D and QB & LT on O. If you look at Carolina's roster and the people they decided to pay it's QB, MLB (QB of the D), DL. They didn't have much luck at Tackle, but they tried through FA. They didn't seem to prioritize WR much.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

What if I told you there are talented players with high character? Not everyone is Sammy Watkins complaining to local media about his targets and claiming his draft class will change salaries around the league. Maybe McDermott doesn't like players that care more about their targets and their money than winning.

Hughes and Dareus play positions that we seem to value, though Dareus' contract may be the only thing actually keeping him here. Seems like we want front 7 players on D and QB & LT on O. If you look at Carolina's roster and the people they decided to pay it's QB, MLB (QB of the D), DL. They didn't have much luck at Tackle, but they tried through FA. They didn't seem to prioritize WR much.

I agree, I think Dareus is only still here because of his contract. He doesn't fit the mold of player that McDermott looks for. But as it stands his contract makes him impossible to cut and he's talented so might as well keep him here.

What if I told you there are talented players with high character? Not everyone is Sammy Watkins complaining to local media about his targets and claiming his draft class will change salaries around the league. Maybe McDermott doesn't like players that care more about their targets and their money than winning.

I agree, I think Dareus is only still here because of his contract. He doesn't fit the mold of player that McDermott looks for. But as it stands his contract makes him impossible to cut and he's talented so might as well keep him here.

In that regard I think Dareus has a chance to mature and make an impression on the staff. So far it would appear he is off to a good start in that regard. Hopefully he provides many reasons to want to keep him here.

The two are inextricably linked. He swears the team will have enough playmakers to get explosive plays. The only guy I see on offense with that ability is Shady now that Sammy's gone.

@JoeBuscaglia

When going through the WRs, #Bills HC Sean McDermott says "and let's not forget about Andre [Holmes]" after Matthews, Boldin & Jones.

Not necessarily so. Talent can add immensely to a team, if the talent is part of the team. But to draft and retain talented players to the detriment of wins and losses will not get you to the promised land. In addition the talented player will inevitably move on to teams that are already achieving success without them. In that condition they become superstars and you sit with egg on your face. Talented players will always come along, but first let's have a team in place where they can be a difference maker. Case in point Marshawn Lynch, etc.

Exactly. I took it as he doesn't want to have, or pay for, talent just anywhere because they are talented. They have priority positions that they will focus on and pay a premium for, and role players to fill in the rest. It is an unfortunate necessity in a capped league.

That isn't to say he won't take talent where he can find it in the draft, but the team has priorities and a vision when it comes to the roster. The roster we've had the past 2 years has been very talented, but it's amounted to .500 or worse.

I know what he meant by it.

It is just my opinion that Sammy was more of a team player than either Hughes or Dareus has been or is. So that excuse rings hollow with me. Very poor excuse. He is grasping at straws for an excuse to justify downgrading at WR this year when they certainly didn't have to.

I know what he meant by it.

It is just my opinion that Sammy was more of a team player than either Hughes or Dareus has been or is. So that excuse rings hollow with me. Very poor excuse. He is grasping at straws for an excuse to justify downgrading at WR this year when they certainly didn't have to.

He isn't just talking about character. He's trying to build a team which means some positions are valued over others. He doesn't see elite WRs as necessary to win a championship, the money can be better spent elsewhere. Plus QB is the most important thing and he added picks that make it easer to draft a good one. There are multiple reasons it made sense to trade Sammy.