Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Final Day

By that logic if Randy Moss were in his prime and available the right move would be to pass?

Randy played in all his games, ammassed 4163 yds his first three seasons, and 43 tds. Don't be ridiculous. Sammy watkins couldnt hold Moss jockstrap. To insinuate is comical. Thats whats wrong, numerous posters believe Watkins is a superstar of Moss' proportions and he isnt.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy played in all his games, ammassed 4163 yds his first three seasons, and 43 tds. Don't be ridiculous. Sammy watkins couldnt hold Moss jockstrap. To insinuate is comical. Thats whats wrong, numerous posters believe Watkins is a superstar of Moss' proportions and he isnt.

I wasn't making a comparison, you didn't read the post I was responding too.

By that logic if Randy Moss were in his prime and available the right move would be to pass?

Not at all. You can make exceptions for elite talent with elite production. The only player on our roster with that description is Shady McCoy. If we trade him I'll agree we are tanking, or if we're not then it's just a poor move. But not Sammy.

I also don't know if McDermott sees a need for a Randy Moss which does make sense considering he never got that ring... elite receivers don't win championships.

If Sammy isn't in the plans for next year and the Bills don't realistically think Super Bowl is happening this year, trading Sammy is the logical move. You can argue that Sammy should have been in the plans, or that the Bills are a Super Bowl contender with him on the team. You can't argue we would have been better off renting him for a year and letting him walk for nothing. That just isn't sensible.

You don't know what year is going to be your year. You are supposed to try to win the championship every year. Isn't that what you are telling your players? Not trying to win is friggin nonsense.

The Bills also gave a 6th round pick away. The Bills could have gotten a compensatory pick as high as round 3 for Watkins if he ended up going somewhere else for a big contract. Getting rid of your best players when they are dirt cheap to keep this year is downright stupid if you are honestly trying to win games on your way to the playoffs for a chance to compete for the title.

I wonder what kind of car Beaner drives. I would like to trade him an old rotbox rusty plymouth with a big dent in the rear quarter panel for whatever he is driving. I'll throw in a free tank of gas too. The car I am trading to him might not pass inspection next year. But what the hell? He obviously doesn't like having nice cars to drive around in when he can still get to work in a rusty old plymouth that might be worth $100 more next year than it is this year. Think he makes the deal?

A 24 year old WR who's a game changer should be part of the plan moving forward and especially so if the plan is (as it seems) to acquire a Franchise QB.

I have a hard time getting past that logic. Unless there is undisclosed negative knowledge about Sammy, the trade makes no sense.

I wasn't making a comparison, you didn't read the post I was responding too.

You responded to post about not retaining top talent. Randy is clearly in a class of his own, wasnt injured, and was truly elite. Its silly to even suggest that the Bills wouldnt keep such a proven player, Sammy wasnt proven. There is a difference. You cant say well they would have done the same with Moss or even comparatively use his name like that. They are totaly different worlds with regard to talent and availability. Edited by Bill_with_it

The list of reasons to trade Sammy right now is WAY shorter and less meaningful than the reasons to NOT trade him.

I'll stop there as this isn't a Sammy trade thread. But I had to say it since you brought it up.

If the coaches don't value top talent at the receiver position (that is already on the team instead of having the draft gamble) then fine. It still isn't a reason to ditch one of your top 3 offensive threats, especially when the guy was dirt cheap this year and in a contract year where he is expected to give 110%. And then pretend that having a second round pick next year is somehow better for this team than having an already proven top tier receiver - It's just stupid.

I get your frustration, but to your last point it really isn't stupid long term. If the Bills have a supremely talented player at a position they do not intend on allocating a lot of the cap to (especially to an individual player at a position that typically employs 6-7), and he has publicly stated he expects his WR class to change the market, why wouldn't you try to get resources for a player who will be here for 4 years on a rookie deal out of it? If we kept him and let him walk the absolute best we could hope for would be a 3rd round comp pick, if we played all of our FA cards exactly right. Instead we got a guaranteed 2nd round pick out of a team that is unlikely to finish .500 or better.

ANQUAN BOLDIN: "GUYS ARE WILLING TO WORK" (5:06)

Bills Wide Receiver Anquan Boldin addressed the media after practice at St. John Fisher College topics include; playing in Thursday's preseason game, he timing with Quarterback Tyrod Taylor, the attitude in the wide receiver room.

TOP 3 THINGS TO KNOW FROM DAY 14 AT BILLS CAMP

8-15-top-3-story.jpg

Tuesday's abbreviated morning practice put a wrap on training camp at St. John Fisher.

I get your frustration, but to your last point it really isn't stupid long term. If the Bills have a supremely talented player at a position they do not intend on allocating a lot of the cap to (especially to an individual player at a position that typically employs 6-7), and he has publicly stated he expects his WR class to change the market, why wouldn't you try to get resources for a player who will be here for 4 years on a rookie deal out of it? If we kept him and let him walk the absolute best we could hope for would be a 3rd round comp pick, if we played all of our FA cards exactly right. Instead we got a guaranteed 2nd round pick out of a team that is unlikely to finish .500 or better.

You obviously place more value on that second round pick than I do. I say it is nuts to trade away a known value product for a chance to draw a new name out of a hat. All picks are a gamble including whatever they do with that second round pick. And whatever they could have gotten from that 6th round and compensatory 3rd.

The front office is revealing their mindset about this year's season - which is that they don't give a flying crap about how it turns out. I am tremendously disappointed in that mindset - especially considering how much I fork out every year for season tickets expecting them to try their hardest to win it all - even when it seems impossible.

Beaner just traded a Ferrari for a Volkswagen because he didn't want to have to refill the tank in the Ferrari after he drove it a while.

Not at all. You can make exceptions for elite talent with elite production. The only player on our roster with that description is Shady McCoy. If we trade him I'll agree we are tanking, or if we're not then it's just a poor move. But not Sammy.

I also don't know if McDermott sees a need for a Randy Moss which does make sense considering he never got that ring... elite receivers don't win championships.

Randy Moss had what should have been the game winning catch in February 2008. And even on the Pats very final possession, he cleanly (and shockingly) beat the guy covering him for what would have been an 80 yard TD pass if Brady hadn't underthrown him. So, no.

Edited by dave mcbride

A 24 year old WR who's a game changer should be part of the plan moving forward and especially so if the plan is (as it seems) to acquire a Franchise QB.

The QB is the game-changer. Not the WRs.

In the future, the WRs will come and go, but the QB will remain...if all goes to plan...

You obviously place more value on that second round pick than I do. I say it is nuts to trade away a known value product for a chance to draw a new name out of a hat. All picks are a gamble including whatever they do with that second round pick. And whatever they could have gotten from that 6th round and compensatory 3rd.

The front office is revealing their mindset about this year's season - which is that they don't give a flying crap about how it turns out. I am tremendously disappointed in that mindset - especially considering how much I fork out every year for season tickets expecting them to try their hardest to win it all - even when it seems impossible.

Beaner just traded a Ferrari for a Volkswagen because he didn't want to have to refill the tank in the Ferrari after he drove it a while.

The timing suggests FO move IMO. Late enough to allow season ticket holders to bite and early enough to convince McD its the right move to make.

I agree PolishDave, the best thing you could give a rookie QB is an elite WR and the draft is to hit and miss to expect good results without a mix of veteran players.

Sammy for a 2 was a bad trade in my humble opinion...

That's such a big issue right now.

Being overlooked/underrated by fans because of the trades and stuff.

I'm way more worried about OT than I am CB or WR.

I am expecting the defense to rebound from last year, even without Darby and Gilmore, simply because we are going to let our strength (D-line) be our strength. That will trickle back to the LB's and DB's.

The offense should be as good as last year...if Tyrod isn't running for his life. OT is a big problem.