Feel Like We Are Going Back To Dark Days

This is the least excited I have felt about the Bills in a long time. I feel like SM might be Dick Jauron Jr. I see boring football on the horizon.

I know everyone hates Whaley but it truly believe minus qb, we had a top 10 talented roster in the NFL the last 4 years. Now, we are slowly losing all of that.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else feel like we are backwards? This team has done such a 360 from where it was from 2000-2010, and I feel like we are entering right back to that era.

Pegula was such a nice breathe of fresh air, and IMO, so was Doug Whaley. He got creative with salary cap, did things we never used to do, took chances in trades, etc.

I know this probably won't be popular, but I miss the Whaley days. When Whaley was GM, I finally felt like a real NFL team, trying to actually get into the playoffs. We were aggressive and the talent on this roster was the highest it has been in over a decade.

I just didn't see the need for the rebuild. Pegula should have made sure this wasn't going to happen. Looking back, I would have rather hired Lynn and kept Whaley. At least they would want to keep great talent on this team, not get rid of it.

This new regime just rubs me the wrong way. They think that future picks actual mean anything. Give me talent over maybe talent with a draft pick you don't even know the position of. They think they won't have to ever pay out big contracts and we will just operate on guys who "want to be here." They are always looking for low ball offers and think they are smart enough to win with lesser talent. They are going to be in for a rude awakening. You need talent to win. They are setting themselves back 2 years and most regimes only get 3 years before they have to prove themselves.

I get where you're coming from. And I agree with some of your assessment. However, i am not a 100% convinced they're just banking on a draft QB. They might go after a proven veteran as well. Think Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. They've got enough ammo to even go after someone like Cam Newton, though at that point I'd rather they drafted a rookie with a great college track record.

I think a lot of things are in play. I am however sorry to see Watkins go.

C

This is the least excited I have felt about the Bills in a long time. I feel like SM might be Dick Jauron Jr. I see boring football on the horizon.

I know everyone hates Whaley but it truly believe minus qb, we had a top 10 talented roster in the NFL the last 4 years. Now, we are slowly losing all of that.

What mystical force of nature kept our Top 10 team from, um, actually being in the Top 10?

Do you solely place it on poor QB play?

I get where you're coming from. And I agree with some of your assessment. However, i am not a 100% convinced they're just banking on a draft QB. They might go after a proven veteran as well. Think Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. They've got enough ammo to even go after someone like Cam Newton, though at that point I'd rather they drafted a rookie with a great college track record.

I think a lot of things are in play. I am however sorry to see Watkins go.

C

If they go after Alex Smith, the Bulls would have finally completed the job and murdered me once and for all.

The sad part is I can see that press conference and talking about Alex Smith's character and being a winner.

What mystical force of nature kept our Top 10 team from, um, actually being in the Top 10?

Do you solely place it on poor QB play?

In the Orton/ EJ years, yes, it was qb play. For the last 2 years, I blame it on the coach Whaley didn't get to hire.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick

Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick

Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th overall

Joe Flacco was 18th overall

Big Ben was 11th overall

Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick

Derek Carr was a 2nd round pick

You can get your franchise QB from almost any draft position. It's all about coaching a QB up, along with having talent. Is Dennison a good enough coach to coach up whatever QB the Bills bring in. That is the biggest question.

And Andrew Luck was the anointed greatest QB in the history of history and the Colts are going to finish last in their division this year.....the worst division in football. Win with what you have. Don't throw good players away. Edited by 4merper4mer

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick

Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick

Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th overall

Joe Flacco was 18th overall

Big Ben was 11th overall

Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick

Derek Carr was a 2nd round pick

You can get your franchise QB from almost any draft position. It's all about coaching a QB up, along with having talent. Is Dennison a good enough coach to coach up whatever QB the Bills bring in. That is the biggest question.

I havn't seen the pre-season game yet against Mini, but maybe we have our QB already?

Anyone else feel like we are backwards? This team has done such a 360 from where it was from 2000-2010, and I feel like we are entering right back to that era.

Pegula was such a nice breathe of fresh air, and IMO, so was Doug Whaley. He got creative with salary cap, did things we never used to do, took chances in trades, etc.

I know this probably won't be popular, but I miss the Whaley days. When Whaley was GM, I finally felt like a real NFL team, trying to actually get into the playoffs. We were aggressive and the talent on this roster was the highest it has been in over a decade.

I just didn't see the need for the rebuild. Pegula should have made sure this wasn't going to happen. Looking back, I would have rather hired Lynn and kept Whaley. At least they would want to keep great talent on this team, not get rid of it.

This new regime just rubs me the wrong way. They think that future picks actual mean anything. Give me talent over maybe talent with a draft pick you don't even know the position of. They think they won't have to ever pay out big contracts and we will just operate on guys who "want to be here." They are always looking for low ball offers and think they are smart enough to win with lesser talent. They are going to be in for a rude awakening. You need talent to win. They are setting themselves back 2 years and most regimes only get 3 years before they have to prove themselves.

Backwards? You can't get any further backwards than the Whaley/Ryan years.

the Dark days happened during the Jouron era. Since Buddy came on board there has been a real effort to get things done Sadly Buddy/Doug failed. The new guys have been on board for like a minute. 6 or 7 high picks in one draft is a good start. These guys understand it is all about the qb. The previous guys knew this but also felt if you build a strong enough team you might be able to get by with average qb play.

Edited by baskingridgebillsfan

Lots and lots of whining from grown men.

Think back to 2004. Tom Donahoe attempted to trade up with Houston to get Roethlisberger. The package he offered fell short.

Ever wonder what would have happened of Donahoe offered enough? What would the last 13 years have been like? Maybe Donahoe and Mularkey are still here? Maybe there is a Lombardi or two in the trophy case at New Era?

Just remember that next April if you get cold feet about packaging picks to move up.Hell, look at what KC did with Buffalo to get their guy last spring.

We've been IN dark days for the past 17 years....8-8 hell. we finally get leadership with a plan and you complain?

I don't get people like you.

We've been IN dark days for the past 17 years....8-8 hell. we finally get leadership with a plan and you complain?

I don't get people like you.

What plan? All I see is a regime that is cheap, not creative and thinks draft picks are worth more than actual talent.

You can't tell me these trades are part of a tank job. They got players back and we are not the worst team in league.

What plan? All I see is a regime that is cheap, not creative and thinks draft picks are worth more than actual talent.

You can't tell me these trades are part of a tank job. They got players back and we are not the worst team in league.

When you call this regime "cheap" that automatically makes everything else you say null and void.