THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Brandon Beane Era Begins

Shaw66

so according to your logic the Bills had 3 "good, dedicated, smart athletes" on their in Hogan, Gills and Gilmore...or else Belichick wouldn't have nabbed them, right? so why did he see this but not the Bills FO? haha i still see people trying to downplay Hogan's contribution to their SB path, and win. it can't work both ways.

Cousins is a strong possibility, but Jimmy G is a NO. they aren't getting rid of him. he's going to be championship ready and run this league, because he is being developed correctly. something the Bills can't seem to do.

Jimmy G will be a UFA next season. If Brady plans on continuing to play no way will he return to the Pats. And no way will the pats franchise him. This guy is hitting the open market next season.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mentioned them wanting a star QB and replacing what they currently have. Fans that are still blindly supporting this team and it's personnel decisions are missing one major point. IF they don't not move Shady or Tyrod this team can fall into 6-7 wins. Those 4-5 extra wins will waste so much if not all of the draft stock they have built up just to move up for the star QB.

If they do have a plan and they are confident about executing their vision then they MUST trade more players away to better position themselves for the QB and the future.

As it sits it's a half ass rebuild that will only prolong the losing. If it takes one terrible season and then we have a franshise altering draft I could get behind that, as would many others.

They have plenty of picks to move around and get a QB in 2018. If this team falls to 2-14 , it's difficult to turn around quickly

Jimmy G will be a UFA next season. If Brady plans on continuing to play no way will he return to the Pats. And no way will the pats franchise him. This guy is hitting the open market next season.

If NE* is convinced Jimmy G is a franchise QB it would be foolish to let him walk and go with Brady who will turn 41 next Aug.

I would try to trade Brady after this season if he still wanted to play.

They have plenty of picks to move around and get a QB in 2018. If this team falls to 2-14 , it's difficult to turn around quickly

If they are getting a QB then TT is gone. Shady will be toast by the time the young guys come together. Both of them are just going to hurt the draft pile.

Just because you have extra picks doesn't mean you shouldn't maximize the return. Get them out of here and do it right. Otherwise they will waste all those picks for one big homerun swing on one of the QB's coming out.

so according to your logic the Bills had 3 "good, dedicated, smart athletes" on their in Hogan, Gills and Gilmore...or else Belichick wouldn't have nabbed them, right? so why did he see this but not the Bills FO? haha i still see people trying to downplay Hogan's contribution to their SB path, and win. it can't work both ways.

Cousins is a strong possibility, but Jimmy G is a NO. they aren't getting rid of him. he's going to be championship ready and run this league, because he is being developed correctly. something the Bills can't seem to do.

Part of it is fit. Gilmore is the easy example. He's a man-to-man corner and McDermott is dedicated to zone principles. So he wasn't a good choice at any reasonable price.

Part of it is talent vs. value. That's Gillislee. Bills probably concluded that with Tolbert and Williams they're good at the back up running back. They didn't need to pay marginal starter money to a guy just to be a backup. And they didn't think, I suppose, that Gillislee was good enough to replace McCoy without a significant drop off in production.

If McDermott and Beane had been, they might not have let Hogan go. Athletic possession receiver with decent speed. He's a poor man's Boldin and Matthews.

The real point, however, is that although we can describe in general what the scheme is, the decisions about who fits and what he's worth are still very difficult, complicated and subjective. I'm not saying it's easy; I'm saying that they seem to have a plan that's clear to them, a plan that is more than just signing the best players they can find.

"He knows Watkins is better than Matthews and Darby is probably better than Gaines, but he also knows that Matthews and Gaines plus the two guys the Bills can draft next year are probably better, collectively, than Watkins and Darby."

Totally agree. Also believe all the accumulated picks just give the Bills options moving forward. I also believe the Bills will draft a QB next year but I doubt they will overpay to get their guy. They will be doing a lot of research between now and next year to get the guy who might lead this franchise to the next level. Would not be surprised to see TT, Peterman and the new guy next year with TT being the bridge so the other two can be brought on correctly. I am pretty certain that some of the picks for 2018 will be parlayed into future higher picks unless players they want suddenly fall to a level that makes moving up the right thing to do.

Finally, I believe the Bills will be better record wise in 2017 than what many think, even with the trades.

Great commentary Shaw66.

Not fair to players like McCoy, KW, Incognito or even TT.

Sal MaioranaVerified account @salmaiorana 1h1 hour ago

More

The #Bills made the right moves yesterday. I know it's hard to believe, but I applaud. Here's my analysis http://on.rocne.ws/2wQCMBa via @DandC

A) The article is spot on, as is the OP.

B) Not FAIR to those players. That's ridiculous. I'm not even convinced this team changed its win total for the worse this season with these trades. Even if for the sake of argument I assume that it does, I'm at a loss to find any sense in that comment. Playing football is those players' jobs. If Kyle Williams is so depressed about the moves that he wants to forego his $6.3M salary and retire early, so be it. And would you have felt the same way if, instead of being traded, Watkins had gotten injured again?

A) The article is spot on, as is the OP.

B) Not FAIR to those players. That's ridiculous. I'm not even convinced this team changed its win total for the worse this season with these trades. Even if for the sake of argument I assume that it does, I'm at a loss to find any sense in that comment. Playing football is those players' jobs. If Kyle Williams is so depressed about the moves that he wants to forego his $6.3M salary and retire early, so be it. And would you have felt the same way if, instead of being traded, Watkins had gotten injured again?

We don't know he would have been injured again. A worry every game, sure,but the talent will be missed. I'm sure the Rams are very happy right now. We'll see. I had them 8-8, now 6-10.

Unless marsha decides to take this year as his last run at the championship then pulls the pin and retires.

First, I believe that Brady has a handshake side-deal with Kraft that will pay Brady millions after he retires. That would be classic Patriots bending the rules. It isn't written anywhere, but Brady will make public appearances for the team, show up at some games, etc., and Kraft will pay him millions.

The Clinton political model eh? I bet you are right.

Bills will have to work a little harder to get the 6 wins now. That's okay.

You think that the substitution of Watkins for Matthews and Darby for Gaines is worth a few wins?

Yikes.

It's a bunch of excuses and apologies. There was NO PLAN. THERE IS NO PLAN. Did he articulate a PLAN yesterday? NO! He said he wasn't planning to trade them! but people approached! He's an opportunist, without a plan.

I'm positive this is satire.

Otherwise....yikes.

JF