Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

Precisely how this move looks. There wasn't a whole lot of risk in picking up the option or simply seeing what happened in 2017. Not vs the potential payoff. A bad move on a team bereft of star level talent. Seems many Bills fans are conditioned to believe that letting talented players walk over a few $$ is good management.

The same group that wanted Lynch gone. They made excuses like he didn't want to be here, and was one strike away to justify letting him go for practically nothing. Lynch went on to have a tremendous career, and it was an awful move in retrospect.

This move may be even more of a disaster.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same group that wanted Lynch gone. They made excuses like he didn't want to be here, and was one strike away to justify letting him go for practically nothing. Lynch went on to have a tremendous career, and it was an awful move in retrospect.

This move may be even more of a disaster.

Well, I hope not, but I would never have traded Sammy. If he stays healthy, OBD will look very foolish, indeed.

Without Pegula ... Bills are no longer in Buffalo .. I say THANK YOU TERRY ... without him on Sundays ... you'd be watching Cleveland games on local Buffalo TV.

No, I'd be doing exactly what I'm going to be doing this season instead of watching the Bills suck again in another endless "rebuilding" season: watching Pittsburgh or Seattle or Atlanta or other professional football teams play interesting football games via NFL Sunday ticket. The Bills were nothing more than the NFL's #1 farm team during Ralph Wilson's last decade and a half of ownership, and the Pegulas are continuing that proud tradition.

The points been addressed- you look at his value based on how he plays and what the market would bear. If injury lingers and he plays "meh" then he isn't getting the mega deal anywhere. You consider him at a lesser value and perhaps settle for comp pick compensation hopefully

If he plays great but is hamstrung by qb play you pay him and go get a qb

You don't need to include boldin in this though, is a point I'll maintain. The rams pull the offer and we have both those guys on our roster. At WR it's Sammy vs Matthews. Boldin isn't in there.

You and I both know that someone would likely way over pay for Watkins once he it the market, and it would unlikely be the bills. Sammy will get big money even with average numbers. It could blow up in the bills face, but I think there was a real chance Watkins walked and the bill get nothing. If all of this helps the bills secure the qb position, I'm all for it.

McCoy once called Watkins a Ferrari in the garage. He didn't mean it the way it turned out, but that's what Watkins has been, a Ferrari in the garage - constantly needing repairs.

I wasn't jumping up and down when I found out about this trade, but I'm okay with it.

Then you'll love Matthews who is a Ford Taurus in the streets.

I say no.

To evaluate the Watkins trade, I think back to the baffling decision to not exercise his option. If Watkins had his 5th year on his deal, we would've gotten more for him, as we would've been trading a longer rental.

The Bills tanked Watkins' value by not exercising it. Then sold low. Idiotic. I personally thought he was an idiot as a person, but a talented idiot. He was arguably our youngest, best player. The exact player you keep in a rebuild, not sell low to the highest bidder.

Darby on the other hand is different. Still say no, but if he was not having a good camp, couldn't do much in zones, I get it. As a superb athlete 1 year removed from a great year, I still say no, but I get it.

From the information available to us, I agree with you. Good assessment. Darby had a bad year last year, wasn't looking like a good fit.

I have wondered before with somewhat puzzling trades, if there is info not available to fans that influences them - for example, I have speculated if something went down in the locker room or with a coach that saw Nix ordered to get Lynch out of town ASAP.

I wonder how durable Sammy's foot really is - if the Bills knew something, that would explain getting him on the field, showing him as looking good, then slinging him out of town.

But of course we don't know. If he has trouble this season in his new home, we'll know. If he turns into a superstar out on the left coast, well, we'll know you're right on.

You and I both know that someone would likely way over pay for Watkins once he it the market, and it would unlikely be the bills. Sammy will get big money even with average numbers. It could blow up in the bills face, but I think there was a real chance Watkins walked and the bill get nothing. If all of this helps the bills secure the qb position, I'm all for it.

The way things have gone the last few years, he probably would have ended up (and still could really) on the Pats. They would be even better next year than they are on paper this year.

Edited by Scott7975

Same old, same old. If you ever wondered how so many people can become victims of scams, just consider that despite the fact that the Bills have failed to make the playoffs for 17 straight years, they have managed to sell the hope of another resurrection to so many of their fans by trading away two of their best players ...

How is this same old Bills? You can dislike the move but it is far from anything the Bills have done during the drought. They are building the team in a much different way than we are used to.

Cooks got a 1 and a 3 in this draft- part of me wonders if we could've done a bit better here for a total haul from Sammy and a good young corner on a rookie deal -- especially if willing to be decisive early in the offseason and maybe dabble in free agency a little to round out the positions instead of trading WR/cb for WR/cb in august

A Pats 1st and a Rams 2nd are about the same.

How is this same old Bills? You can dislike the move but it is far from anything the Bills have done during the drought. They are building the team in a much different way than we are used to.

A Pats 1st and a Rams 2nd are about the same.

The Rams have a good defense and alot of weapons on offense...including maybe the best RB in football.

Another silly statement by you

Precisely how this move looks. There wasn't a whole lot of risk in picking up the option or simply seeing what happened in 2017. Not vs the potential payoff. A bad move on a team bereft of star level talent. Seems many Bills fans are conditioned to believe that letting talented players walk over a few $$ is good management.

There is a whole lot of risk in picking up a $13M guaranteed for injury option on a player coming off his 2nd foot surgery in a year. What is this potential payoff? Do fans think we were ever getting our 1st round picks back for him?

And to your last point, I say it's just the opposite. It seems many Bills fans are conditioned to believe that letting talented players walk for nothing is good management, because that's been standard operating procedure in recent years.

"Hey, lets just draft a CB in the 1st round to replace the CB we drafted in the 1st round a few years ago. We can also replace the WR we drafted in the 2nd round a few years ago by drafting a WR in the 2nd round." Why not also squander any compensation by signing back-up linemen and special teams players, rather than waiting until June like a competent front office? That's the Whaley regime in a nutshell.

The top GM's in the league don't wait until the 11th hour to see how things play out - they put a plan in place long before it comes to that. Our GM clearly wasn't going to get stuck holding the bag if Sammy's body breaks down again.

And this is absolutely nothing like the Peters situation (who they didn't want to pay) nor is it comparable to the Lynch deal (who was a complete flake). That's nonsense.

The Rams have a good defense and alot of weapons on offense...including maybe the best RB in football.

They were a 4-12 team last season and had some of the worst QB play in the league. The Pats won the superbowl. His statement isn't too far from the truth.

The way things have gone the last few years, he probably would have ended up (and still could really) on the Pats. They would be even better next year than they are on paper this year.

God that would suck. The rams are in a tight spot having to lock up Sammy Kong term.

That's not in the context of the argument I was having with 4merper. We were discussing whether or not the Bills were "throwing in the towel"

People see things as black or white. I see this as the Bills gave up a good corner for a decent corner. I see this as the Bills gave up a potentially game changing WR for a very good WR.

The kicker is the extra picks they acquired.

How many games did folks think the Bills would win this season? Find me those who were saying playoffs prior to the trades. I thought that they were a 5-7 win team before the trades. I now think that they are a 5-7 win team. Sorry to the woe is me crowd this year won't be markedly different than it would have been with Darby and Watkins in my opinion.

The kicker is the extra picks they acquired.

Did I mention the extra picks they acquired?

They were a 4-12 team last season and had some of the worst QB play in the league. The Pats won the superbowl. His statement isn't too far from the truth.

The Rams have alot of talent on both sides of the ball, and Case Keenum played alot of games last season and Goff was a rookie that wasn't ready.

Some better QB play behind a good run game and that defense and they are a pretty good squad.

He thinks he knows what the Rams will be this season, but I see lots of talent on both sides and a QB that should fare better with more talent and with some experience under his belt (even though I'm not sold on him as the guy).

The Rams have alot of talent on both sides of the ball, and Case Keenum played alot of games last season and Goff was a rookie that wasn't ready.

Some better QB play behind a good run game and that defense and they are a pretty good squad.

He thinks he knows what the Rams will be this season, but I see lots of talent on both sides and a QB that should fare better with more talent and with some experience under his belt (even though I'm not sold on him as the guy).

The Rams defense has been sturdy over the years and their receiving corps no doubt improved. O-Line and QB are still huge question marks and that will be the determining factor in how far they go.

The Rams do have a good defense but the rest of your post is bizarre. The best RB in football? What? Gurley has a long way to go before he's even in the conversation of being a top 5 back. This is ridiculous even for you Crusher. He had a 3.2 YPC last year. What weapons do they have besides Sammy? And who is throwing the ball? Goff was awful last year. Don't let your opinions on Tyrod get in the way of that fact. Edited by HappyDays