Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

You really think it's that farfetched that Sammy didn't want to be in a predominantly run team with a passing offense ranked at the bottom 2 years in a row?

Right??? But, But with Tyrod under this new coaching staff was supposed to change this right? That was what many posters here seem to think. Sammy was on a contract prove it year and still is. This is when you want that kinda guy with his talents on your team. You don't think he knows this and will do everything possible to explode with whatever amount of targets and catches he gets? We all know his foot injury caused missed games which he is finally fully recovered.

Many fail to remember already how the Bills completely failed to utilize his strengths which was and is a coaching 101 NO-NO.

@joesixpack - seen enough of you complete tank mentality for a QB. Yes QB is very important for our squad and #1 priority, 80% of posters around here are on board.. What you fail to realize you need to field a team around him with young talent. Throwing all ours away solves zero.... See the Colts

Edited by Real McCoy

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills had the option of applying the Franchise Tag to retain his rights.

Yes, and maybe they didn't believe he was worth $15M or whatever the franchise number is? Maybe they didn't want to create more of a distraction of potentially having a disgruntled player miss training camp due to this dispute.

It seems as if people are talking past each other here, the calculation to me was simple, they didn't want to pay him what he could get on the open market due to their concerns with his injuries. And there very well could have been other concerns that they have that we aren't privy to.

The bottom line is that they made a calculation and there is a whole lot of reason and logic behind it. Doesn't mean that they made the right decision but that they made one based off of sound reasoning that may or may not pan out.

Yes, and maybe they didn't believe he was worth $15M or whatever the franchise number is? Maybe they didn't want to create more of a distraction of potentially having a disgruntled player miss training camp due to this dispute.

It seems as if people are talking past each other here, the calculation to me was simple, they didn't want to pay him what he could get on the open market due to their concerns with his injuries. And there very well could have been other concerns that they have that we aren't privy to.

The bottom line is that they made a calculation and there is a whole lot of reason and logic behind it. Doesn't mean that they made the right decision but that they made one based off of sound reasoning that may or may not pan out.

this is exactly it. there's really no right or wrong to this trade right now. if sammy stays oft injured and puts up pedestrian numbers, but bills did the right thing. if sammy stays healthy and becomes a super star, the bills let a wildly talented player go.

You have never watched the Eagles if you think Watkins and Matthews play at close to the same speed.

16 ypc vs. 11 ypc. JM is a possession receiver and SW has Julio Lite ability.

Right theres really no comparison. The only thing you could say is the scheme changed and they are bringing in players that fit the west coast offense mold, while building draft capital, I dont like it but, it makes sense. I still think we need another reliable and productive burner or 2 for this season. You have a QB with a dangerous deep ball, let him use it. Anquan is not beating any CBs deep. This makes me think Streater makes the team.

Edited by Marty McFly

And maybe they don't have a clue what they are doing?

Jeez. You guys defend, defend, defend.

he's not even defending it. it seems more to me he's just showing the logic behind it...and yes, there's a lot of logic to the move. doesn't make the move the right one, but it very well could be.

Edited by teef

They made one off of reasoning, the soundness of which is at question. They have access to more than we do, and there are factors of luck, but to say they are still shooting for the playoffs AND trading current assets for 2018 resources does not come across as sound reasoning.

Talent-consensus? Yes. He was the surefire #1 pick.

Minus those that thought he was lazy or too me first. He was elite talent but consensus superstar is a different angle that he was getting at I believe.

They made one off of reasoning, the soundness of which is at question. They have access to more than we do, and there are factors of luck, but to say they are still shooting for the playoffs AND trading current assets for 2018 resources does not come across as sound reasoning.

Minus those that thought he was lazy or too me first. He was elite talent but consensus superstar is a different angle that he was getting at I believe.

Didn't Sammy get arrested for pot?

I'm sure there was a team or two who thought that a red flag. I think KtD is being a little over the top.

Didn't Sammy get arrested for pot?

I'm sure there was a team or two who thought that a red flag. I think KtD is being a little over the top.

I agreed that he was but also get what he's saying, which I think was a little bit side stepped in reply if genuinely using clowney who was controversial. Sammy was not as rare a physical specimen as clowney (a true generational specimen) but there are not many prospects that come out with sammys immense upside, complete game, and limited risk.

We've unfortunately seen some of that limited risk in the injuries but I think those acting like he's been anything but excellent on the field or pretending he's a uniquely immature diva off the field are just looking to dislike him. The dude has been everything you could ask for when healthy and he was no more a health risk than any player.

If he reaches the level that he is capable of you tag him. It was $2M more than his option (or something like that). You try to work out a long-term deal and if not you have a 24 year-old receiver coming off of a massive season. You'd get more than EJ Gaines and a 2nd.

And if he doesn't reach the level he is capable of, we take a loss. If he gets hurt, we get nothing.

What makes you think he's going to have a massive season? We're a run-first team with TT at QB. What's so different this year, Dennison? What kind of numbers would he have to put up to garner a bigger haul with a $17M tag on him?? Any trade in that scenario would be contingent on him signing a long-term deal, and that isn't exactly sweetening the pot.

And if he doesn't reach the level he is capable of, we take a loss. If he gets hurt, we get nothing.

What makes you think he's going to have a massive season? We're a run-first team with TT at QB. What's so different this year, Dennison? What kind of numbers would he have to put up to garner a bigger haul with a $17M tag on him?? Any trade in that scenario would be contingent on him signing a long-term deal, and that isn't exactly sweetening the pot.

We could sign him cheaper after a so-so season or work the comp pick system as alternative options

😂

And maybe they don't have a clue what they are doing?

Jeez. You guys defend, defend, defend.

And you pretend you're smarter when you don't have all the data. I don't like trading Sammy but I am also not privy to the same data Beane had when making the decision.

Gotcha. I do think Sammy is unproven thus far and isn't the best parallel to Steve Smith, etc. while I think OBJ would be. As in, if we had OBJ and he had similar production in Buffalo as in New York, we wouldn't have traded him.

At this point I have to resign myself to watch the season play out. Sammy could ball and make us look dumb, but it's also possible that he doesn't. It's possible we look good this year and we have the draft ammo to make some big plays next year. I think there were too many question marks with Sammy and the rest of this team to put the big money down so they took advantage of an opportunity and there isn't going to be any way to judge it until it all unfolds. We can debate this all month long but it won't mean anything until we see the results.

The only think unproven about Sammy is if he can stay healthy. When healthy I take Julio Jones and Antonio Brown over him and that's it. Talent wise he was the best in his draft class not OBJ.