Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

No, it's not. ANY/A is the statistic most correlated with winning . YPA is the 5th most important: http://www.footballperspective.com/correlating-passing-stats-with-wins/

ANY/A is ... adjusted net yards per attempt--i.e., yards per attempt with a tad more math and with sack yardage factored in. It doesn't obviate the point at all. Taylor's adjusted ypa stat in 2015 was actually higher than his ypa (8.3 as opposed to 8.0).

Edited by dave mcbride

ANY/A is ... adjusted net yards per attempt--i.e., yards per attempt with a tad more math and with sack yardage factored in. It doesn't obviate the point at all. Taylor's adjusted ypa stat in 2015 was actually higher than his ypa (8.3 as opposed to 8.0).

Again, wrong on both counts. Yards per attempt and ANY/A are two distinct (and separate) calculations, so it actually makes a world of difference. And Taylor's YPA in 2015 was 7.99, his ANY/A was 7.1.

Again, wrong on both counts. Yards per attempt and ANY/A are two distinct (and separate) calculations, so it actually makes a world of difference. And Taylor's YPA in 2015 was 7.99, his ANY/A was 7.1.

I said adjusted ypa, not adjusted nypa. Bear in mind that adjusted nypa - which i am very familiar with - awards 20 yards per td pass and penalizes qbs 45 yds for ints. It Seems somewhat arbitrary to me, and i'm a little skeptical of the formula (which seems ad hoc), but i agree with u that it's a solid measure. But my point is thst they are both in the same immediate family.

It is 100 percent inarguable that taylor's best game last season was against miami in week 16, which i count as a bills win because of the truly atrocious refereeing. He threw a bad pick late agains the jets that really hurt their chances.

i was typing too fast for me to realize what I did. Arguably was what I meant to say.

I'll give you Miami as he had a really good game. Watkins was definitely a player in that game.

So 101 pages in, but I don't recall much discussion about how this entire debacle started with the inept medical/training staff last year. By some accounts, Watkins was forced back onto the field too early and remained pissed about it into the offseason.

That's the convenience of regime change.

I said adjusted ypa, not adjusted nypa. Bear in mind that adjusted nypa - which i am very familiar with - awards 20 yards per td pass and penalizes qbs 45 yds for ints. It Seems somewhat arbitrary to me, and i'm a little skeptical of the formula (which seems ad hoc), but i agree with u that it's a solid measure. But my point is thst they are both in the same immediate family.

I misread you, sorry. And yes, it is a somewhat arbitrary formula, although less so IMO than passer rating (which awards the equivalent of 80 yards for a TD and 100 for an INT, as well as places too heavy an emphasis on completions by essentially counting them twice in the final calculation) and has as mentioned shown the greatest correlation with winning of all the metrics I'm familiar with. They (ANY/A and Y/A) do reside in the same family in that they're both relative measures of efficiency, but one is a better predictor IMO of true performance and successful quarterbacking as it relates to wins.

That's the convenience of regime change.

I mean think about it - it's something like, Sammy was cleared by the inept training staff (over which Rex had no control, not that he would've exercised it), was forced back onto the field too early and wasn't himself, then the new regime comes in and declines the option because of his injury history and his inability to play at a high level of late.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's how it went down, and in response, his agent made it clear to Beane that re-signing Sammy was gonna be near impossible.

The thread of ineptitude extends throughout human history and certainly modern Bills history. Everything repeats and everything is linked.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I mean think about it - it's something like, Sammy was cleared by the inept training staff (over which Rex had no control, not that he would've exercised it), was forced back onto the field too early and wasn't himself, then the new regime comes in and declines the option because of his injury history and his inability to play at a high level of late.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's how it went down, and in response, his agent made it clear to Beane that re-signing Sammy was gonna be near impossible.

The thread of ineptitude extends throughout human history and certainly modern Bills history. Everything repeats and everything is linked.

Beane said that there had been no discussions about an extension with either Sammy or his agency. Watkins stated the same.

anyone could see that he was also injured and didn't play in 8 games last year.

Of those 8 games he did play we had a 2-6 record. In those games he also had terrible outings. In his best game, 7 receptions for 154 yards and a TD we lost to the Dolphins. In his 2nd best game he had 3 catches for 80 yards. Any other game and his best outing was 4 receptions for 54 yards and also a TD, again we lost, to the Steelers.

So our record was actually better without Sammy in the lineup.

No offense, but your assessment of last season is total non sense. You are LOVING being able to point at stat boxes while conveniently leaving out that in 6 of the 8 games he played he was a complete shell of himself and basically a decoy who was struggling bad with his foot. He really wasn't remotely healthy until after week 15 where in the lone game he played with TT relatively healthy he had 154 yards and a TD with TT then his last game was with the mess of EJ and Cardale.

And the Dolphins game you point out we lost had exactly ZERO to do with the offense and 1 million percent to do with the defense.

You are literally making just awful cases for your argument that are not rooted in the reality of what really happened. 2016 was almost a completely lost year despite his 8 game appearance in which 6 of those games he should not have even suited up for, and arguably probably should have just been safe and sat out the end of the season too with us out of the playoffs.

No offense, but your assessment of last season is total non sense. You are LOVING being able to point at stat boxes while conveniently leaving out that in 6 of the 8 games he played he was a complete shell of himself and basically a decoy who was struggling bad with his foot. He really wasn't remotely healthy until after week 15 where in the lone game he played with TT relatively healthy he had 154 yards and a TD with TT then his last game was with the mess of EJ and Cardale.

And the Dolphins game you point out we lost had exactly ZERO to do with the offense and 1 million percent to do with the defense.

You are literally making just awful cases for your argument that are not rooted in the reality of what really happened. 2016 was almost a completely lost year despite his 8 game appearance in which 6 of those games he should not have even suited up for, and arguably probably should have just been safe and sat out the end of the season too with us out of the playoffs.

Do yourself a favor and don't bother arguing with an anti Watkins crusader. He actually stated that by saying Watkins was injured or not himself, you are taking a swipe at the player. Because obviously NFL players that get injuries they can't play through and miss games in the process of recovering are not tough. Certainly not as tough as some fans on message boards. That is the level of thought you are dealing with here.

Sammie was a decent wide-out but he needed to be a HoFer to justify the trade to move up and draft him. He wasn't two firsts and a fourth worthy and will likely be the 3rd or 4th best w/o in the 2014 draft. He was a YAC monster in college and showed little of this when with the Bills. A very disappointing value draft pick and getting a starting CB and a second rounder (high) would be great.

Watkins said a week or two before he was traded he wanted to remain in Buffalo the rest of his career.

no player in their right mind would state otherwise. Regardless how they actually feel.

so despite what almost everyone likes to point to that Sammy has only missed X games, you want to embrace the fact that he has been hurt/injured for more than 50% of his career. Glad you want to admit that. Since that's the main reason why I do not want him on this team and never did. He is too often injured or hurt and that affects his production. End of story.

no player in their right mind would state otherwise. Regardless how they actually feel.

so despite what almost everyone likes to point to that Sammy has only missed X games, you want to embrace the fact that he has been hurt/injured for more than 50% of his career. Glad you want to admit that. Since that's the main reason why I do not want him on this team and never did. He is too often injured or hurt and that affects his production. End of story.

Yessir.

Why do I feel a Julio Jones story/comparison/hopeful parallel is coming along?

yeah. This is usually about the time people come out to show that Julio had the same injury and is now one of the best, if not the best WR in football. Yada, yada, yada