Astro-Notes: 8-2-17 Sixth Practice

Astrobot

I suppose it comes down to what Kirby has said before about your depth receivers having something that stands out. Hunter is an effective redzone threat even if average elsewhere. Streater is just average.

The most TD's either has caught in a single season is 4. And they're of similar size.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The most TD's either has caught in a single season is 4. And they're of similar size.

They are 2 inches different and just watching both on tape I know who I judge to make more contested catches in the redzone. It is Hunter. The TD grab on the bullet from TT vs Jacksonville is a play I don't see Streater make.

Both looked good and as I said the depth on the line and LB is okay. The Bills depth looked worse than what I normally see. I know that's kind of a generic reason but it isn't pretty.

On paper the depth chart was loaded with hobos........I'd say the 2nd worst depth group since the season after Donahoe gutted the roster.....only worse group of reserves brought to camp since was Chan year 1.

If one of those guys is going to make it you want them to do that at the expense of somebody good.

When the 3rd best true halfback on the roster is a guy who was probably the 50th best RB in the most recent draft you are asking for trouble.........hence Taiwan Jones........and likely a few others before camp is even over.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling a lotta' washed up, currently out-of-football players are going to get a lot of snaps for this team and that will probably cost them.

I see it as typical rookie HC arrogance........hope McDermott proves me wrong but I think he's likely in that Greggo "I gotta' plan" mode and by the time he realizes his mistake he'll be entering year two trying to play catch-up wrt his long term job security.

That was a great catch, to be sure. But check out Streater's highlights.

On paper the depth chart was loaded with hobos........I'd say the 2nd worst depth group since the season after Donahoe gutted the roster.....only worse group of reserves brought to camp since was Chan year 1.

If one of those guys is going to make it you want them to do that at the expense of somebody good.

When the 3rd best true halfback on the roster is a guy who was probably the 50th best RB in the most recent draft you are asking for trouble.........hence Taiwan Jones........and likely a few others before camp is even over.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling a lotta' washed up, currently out-of-football players are going to get a lot of snaps for this team and that will probably cost them.

I see it as typical rookie HC arrogance........hope McDermott proves me wrong but I think he's likely in that Greggo "I gotta' plan" mode and by the time he realizes his mistake he'll be entering year two trying to play catch-up wrt his long term job security.

Where would you rank MG before he came to the Bills? And what "washed up, currently out-of-football players" are you talking about?

Several questionable moves made in the offseason all for the sake of saving a few bucks.

Are you really going to continue this line of thinking that the Pegulas want to save money? You sound foolish. The GM and HC dont think the players you wanted to keep were worth paying what others paid. Its that simple. Building a roster is a shell game, not the simplistic *you have cap room so pay him* scenario you keep presenting.

Edited by eball

That was a great catch, to be sure. But check out Streater's highlights.

Where would you rank MG before he came to the Bills? And what "washed up, currently out-of-football players" are you talking about?

The year the Bills acquired MG they went into camp with Shady McCoy, Fred Jackson and Karlos Williams......who already looked like a big producer in mini-camp.

And they STILL needed to get lucky finding MG.

That said.......MG wasn't the 50th best RB in his draft class......he was on par with Jon Williams as a middling prospect when the Bills got him after they cycled thru a bunch of bad backs(Boom Herron, Cierre Wood etc..)........and somehow Williams is considered a lock to be the the Bills #2 RB going into camp! Unchallenged essentially!

This bunch is McCoy and pray. I'm astounded that people hope Tolbert gets carries during the season.......Tol-dozer myass.....his production has been pathetic for years now. Always loved his style of play but that's like hoping Jerome Felton got 5 carries per game. :doh:

The year the Bills acquired MG they went into camp with Shady McCoy, Fred Jackson and Karlos Williams......who already looked like a big producer in mini-camp.

That said.......MG wasn't the 50th best RB in his draft class......he was on par with Jon Williams as a middling prospect when the Bills got him after they cycled thru a bunch of bad backs(Boom Herron, Cierre Wood etc..)........and somehow Williams is considered a lock to be the the Bills #2 RB going into camp! Unchallenged essentially!

This bunch is McCoy and pray. I'm astounded that people hope Tolbert gets carries during the season.......Tol-dozer myass.....his production has been pathetic for years now. Always loved his style of play but that's like hoping Jerome Felton got 5 carries per game. :doh:

I don't think that was the plan at all. The plan was to have gillislee. He signed a really late in the season offer sheet, and we chose not to match due to the the size of the deal for a backup running back. We weren't able to get a suitable replacement due to the timing that he left.

The Bills have somehow gotten lucky 3 years in a row finding backup RB's. And I believe the plan is to just give Tolbert carries in short yardage/goalline situations.

Oh and they signed Taiwan Jones for his return skills.

I don't think that was the plan at all. The plan was to have gillislee. He signed a really late in the season offer sheet, and we chose not to match due to the the size of the deal for a backup running back. We weren't able to get a suitable replacement due to the timing that he left.

That's fine but you watch how much money and effort the Bills end up spending, this offseason and next (including high draft capital) to compensate for the $2M and change they saved by not matching NE's offer to MG. And in the meantime, our division rival gets double-digit TDs out of TD Mike - would've been worth $2M to prevent that from happening, alone.

I didn't say Pegula wants to save money.

McDermott was Mr. Frugal all offseason. Completely botched the MG tender, replaced FA departures with draft picks and lost a lot of solid veteran depth in the process.

And who's fault is that?

Like I said, they completely botched it.... Typical Billsy move.

And some say we really don't know what kind of depth we have.

If Sammy goes down for an extended period of time, the WR corps instantly becomes the worst group in the league. Same could be said for McCoy going down, or Clay.

All of which could have been prevented.

The good news is if Ragland and Lawson emerge, the Bills have some solid depth upfront.

How? By overpaying Woods and MG? Do you think either are #1 WR/RB material? Because they haven't shown it so far in their careers.

I didn't say Pegula wants to save money.

McDermott was Mr. Frugal all offseason. Completely botched the MG tender, replaced FA departures with draft picks and lost a lot of solid veteran depth in the process.

And who's fault is that?

Like I said, they completely botched it.... Typical Billsy move.

And some say we really don't know what kind of depth we have.

If Sammy goes down for an extended period of time, the WR corps instantly becomes the worst group in the league. Same could be said for McCoy going down, or Clay.

All of which could have been prevented.

The good news is if Ragland and Lawson emerge, the Bills have some solid depth upfront.

no, what would have been Billsy would be far overpaying guys like MG or RW to get them to stay. See Fitzpatrick, Ryan.

Frankly, we were terrified after Special K was cut, just like many are now. I am not worried, next man up. That next man happens to be a guy from Arkansas who was projected as a high rounder before messing his foot up senior year.

no, what would have been Billsy would be far overpaying guys like MG or RW to get them to stay. See Fitzpatrick, Ryan.

Frankly, we were terrified after Special K was cut, just like many are now. I am not worried, next man up. That next man happens to be a guy from Arkansas who was projected as a high rounder before messing his foot up senior year.

Who cares about your level of worry? :lol:

There are always those that simply billieve everything will work out fine..........until the season kicks off.........then their lack or worry turns into pathetically vocal in-season whimpering/sobbing on TSW. :cry::lol:

Those are the people who take offense to pointing out that other teams trash don't automatically turn into matchup winners simply because they bring their inconsiderable talent to Orchard Park.

Like it or not, this is a shallow roster.........there aren't a lot compelling camp battles for a reason.

Not sure how many times it's been said, but I guess I'll say it again.

They could've tendered him as a 2nd rounder for an extra million.

McD became GM as soon as he was hired.

How do you know it was all McD? Whaley did the same exact thing with Hogan the year before. I didn't like not putting a second round tender on him fwiw.

Edited by Scott7975

I was out there today and a few things were concerning. They lack speed on the outside IMO. I don't like the design of the running game. The backup QBs are awful and Hyde got dinged.

A couple of things that I liked: Yarborough, Ragland organizing the d in the hurry up, Leonard Johnson had a nice practice, Powell's hands looked good and Sammy is great.

Wasn't watching as intently as Astro but overall I came out a little less optimistic. They just didn't look like a very good football team. The depth is scary. The dropoff in a lot of places is bigger than I anticipated.

Looking on the bright side: if these observations translate to the regular season and, combined with our schedule, yield a really, really bad campaign...we just might find our way to a real QB in next year's draft.