Astro-Notes: 7-27-17 First Practice

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daikiel Shorts WR 6'1 202 4.57 wow I know about him now

Every successful football team has at least one “Mr. Reliable.” Mr. Reliable is the guy that whenever the ball is sent his way, he makes the right play. He seldom makes mistakes, and the coach points to him when a big play is needed.

During their 10-win 2016, West Virginia fans probably could have pointed to a few of their Mountaineers for this title. More often than not, though, Daikiel Shorts’s name would be brought up first.

Take this statistic, for example: in the Mountaineers’ first two games, Shorts caught 14 passes—only one of which was NOT for a touchdown or a first down. Can you say “efficient?”

Edited by ALF

Ahh...one of my favorite times of the year. Ranks Rastro!

eball, Plezmd1 wins the under!

Mrs. Rastro is right, the WR's look like girly-girls. She should chime in with her observations as well!

Ranks, Rastro!

:)

Astro - great notes as always. Thanks for the detail. I wanted to share my observations about tonight's practice as well:

1. The pace of practice was much faster than any I remember in recent years. It seemed like everyone had a similar amount of reps by the end of the night. There was constant movement and no one walked from drill to drill. I was impressed by always having two groups going at once. By the end of the night - all of those defensive blue jersey's had turned a dark navy shade after all the sweat.

2. Best hands of the night award - Daikiel Shorts! He did not drop a ball thrown at him all night - including a very high sideline grab from Petermen. Also had the best catch of the night in my opinion over the middle on a rope thrown by Petermen (more on him below). Keep your eye on Shorts - if he consistently performs like tonight he might be the diamond in the rough.

3. Petermen had some good throws and many bad ones - he was inconsistent. his arm looks very average - but he did zip some 7-10 yards. Yates is solidly number 2 right now.

4. Some new drills this year - including the DB's running laterally in tandem while playing catch with tennis balls. Darby had difficulty at first with this drill. Power and Hyde were very good at it.

5. Keep your eye on Croom for backup TE - he had some nice looks.

6. Starting LB's - Humber (Sam) Brown (Mike) Alexander (Will) - Hodges and Ragland ran with the two's.

7. No punting - wanted to see the UDFA was bummed. Haushka has a nice leg - hit every kick attempted with ease.

8. White and Jones look to be very nice acquisitions.

Go Bills.

Thanks as well!

The fans don't want Taylor, Yates or Peterman, though. They want Darnold or Allen.

Knock it off with the crusade. Consider yourself warned.

Astro - great notes as always. Thanks for the detail. I wanted to share my observations about tonight's practice as well:

1. The pace of practice was much faster than any I remember in recent years. It seemed like everyone had a similar amount of reps by the end of the night. There was constant movement and no one walked from drill to drill. I was impressed by always having two groups going at once. By the end of the night - all of those defensive blue jersey's had turned a dark navy shade after all the sweat.

2. Best hands of the night award - Daikiel Shorts! He did not drop a ball thrown at him all night - including a very high sideline grab from Petermen. Also had the best catch of the night in my opinion over the middle on a rope thrown by Petermen (more on him below). Keep your eye on Shorts - if he consistently performs like tonight he might be the diamond in the rough.

3. Petermen had some good throws and many bad ones - he was inconsistent. his arm looks very average - but he did zip some 7-10 yards. Yates is solidly number 2 right now.

4. Some new drills this year - including the DB's running laterally in tandem while playing catch with tennis balls. Darby had difficulty at first with this drill. Power and Hyde were very good at it.

5. Keep your eye on Croom for backup TE - he had some nice looks.

6. Starting LB's - Humber (Sam) Brown (Mike) Alexander (Will) - Hodges and Ragland ran with the two's.

7. No punting - wanted to see the UDFA was bummed. Haushka has a nice leg - hit every kick attempted with ease.

8. White and Jones look to be very nice acquisitions.

Go Bills.

Nanks, NYNole

Great stat! It's why I call him Zay Jones Lite. Shorts is likely battling with Reilly for PS or WR6, but moving the chains is so important in WCO that we could see Shorts edge out guys like Walt Powell and Dez Lewis. He's likely the slot position but he ran from out wide several times last night. Will pay attention to where they play today.

Daikiel Shorts WR 6'1 202 4.57 wow I know about him now

Every successful football team has at least one “Mr. Reliable.” Mr. Reliable is the guy that whenever the ball is sent his way, he makes the right play. He seldom makes mistakes, and the coach points to him when a big play is needed.

During their 10-win 2016, West Virginia fans probably could have pointed to a few of their Mountaineers for this title. More often than not, though, Daikiel Shorts’s name would be brought up first.

Take this statistic, for example: in the Mountaineers’ first two games, Shorts caught 14 passes—only one of which was NOT for a touchdown or a first down. Can you say “efficient?”

http://westvirginia.247sports.com/Bolt/2017-Eers-in-the-NFL-Draft-Profile-Daikiel-Shorts-52169137

I want you to know that when I saw your thread, I went and heated up my coffee, came back to my desk and clicked on it.

I sat back and sipped my coffee reading your notes. I felt like I was there.

Thanks to a great start to my day

CBF

Rookie move, CBF, quoting the entire post. Common man!

Hey Astro (or NY Nole) - did JWill look any quicker on his feet than he did last year? I know you said he looked like the love child of Shady and Karlos :lol: but I wasn't sure if that meant he looked fat and high with dehydrated hammies. Thanks!!!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Hey Astro (or NY Nole) - did JWill look any quicker on his feet than he did last year? I know you said he looked like the love child of Shady and Karlos :lol: but I wasn't sure if that meant he looked fat and high with dehydrated hammies. Thanks!!!

He definitely looked like he had more in his step to me. Hit the hole hard and emerged from the congestion with some authority. Admittedly, they were only in their shells and shorts -- but he looks like a legit #2.

Great stat! It's why I call him Zay Jones Lite. Shorts is likely battling with Reilly for PS or WR6, but moving the chains is so important in WCO that we could see Shorts edge out guys like Walt Powell and Dez Lewis. He's likely the slot position but he ran from out wide several times last night. Will pay attention to where they play today.

So would you say that Jeremy Butler is a long shot to make the team?

He definitely looked like he had more in his step to me. Hit the hole hard and emerged from the congestion with some authority. Admittedly, they were only in their shells and shorts -- but he looks like a legit #2.

If he looks good in shorts he is gonna look even better when the pads come on because of his playing style.

I am firmly in the Jon Williams camp.....he just needs to hold onto the ball