The Tyrod Taylor Question

Or force the defense to stop allowing touchdowns

Sorry...once again this doesnt answer the question.

If Tyrod was soooo limited....then the defense would load up against the run and take that away (any defense in the NFL can take one thing away from you no matter where they are ranked)

They would simply stop the run and force Tyrod to win the games......

So why were the bills 10th in scoring offense last year if it so easy?

Once again...you cant answer the question because the answer doesnt suit the crusade...the fact is that if defenses loaded up to stop our run Tyrod and his deep ball would probably kill them......it looked like last year teams were trying to take away Tyrod's deep ball.

Yes, you have to respect his deep ball...i will acknowledge that. As I said...he has talent that can sometimes trump a team's best.

What you can do is try to make him have to lead a long drive and force him to make numerous throws which he has shown to struggle with...especially late in games.

On another note: You seem much angrier towards me lately. What's up w/that?

Don't let these things bother you, man. This place shouldn't be having that affect on anyone.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you have to respect his deep ball...i will acknowledge that. As I said...he has talent that can sometimes trump a team's best.

What you can do is try to make him have to lead a long drive and force him to make numerous throws which he has shown to struggle with...especially late in games.

Don't let these things bother you, man. This place shouldn't be having that affect on anyone.

Frankly with all due respect I think your talk out both sides of your butt

WHy is it bothering me? It shouldnt...I wont let it. carry on

I just read the last sentence. "This place" is great, you are not. Don't confuse the two.

In that case my personal opinion would be keep Tyrod and take a QB with the first pick, but don't trade up. If he regresses or looks about the same as 2016 I'm all in on a big "sell the farm" trade up.

My thinking is if we're gonna do, do it right. Trade both number 1s and whatever else you need to get one of the top spots and take THE GUY.

Otherwise we're just taking another project.

But heck, we got a whole season to play first. See what happens first.

Or force the defense to stop allowing touchdowns

Sorry...once again this doesnt answer the question.

If Tyrod was soooo limited....then the defense would load up against the run and take that away (any defense in the NFL can take one thing away from you no matter where they are ranked)

They would simply stop the run and force Tyrod to win the games......

So why were the bills 10th in scoring offense last year if it so easy?

Once again...you cant answer the question because the answer doesnt suit the crusade...the fact is that if defenses loaded up to stop our run Tyrod and his deep ball would probably kill them......it looked like last year teams were trying to take away Tyrod's deep ball.

It's not a mistake that more than one defense came in last year saying "Make him be a quarterback." The defense DOES load up against the run and try and take it away. They can't, because the run offense was simply terrific. Even when they play eight in the box, the run game is simply not stopped.

And yes the Bills scored a lot. Again, mostly the run game. 17 passing touchdowns last year, which was 27th in the league. That ain't good. Whereas the run game had 29 TDs, 1st in the league, and by a wide margin. The second team scored nearly 20% less, the Cowboys with 24 and the third and fourth teams in the league tied at 20. In other words they had almost a third more TDs than the two teams tied for third place. The run game was terrific.

29 running TDs and 17 passing TDs. Which is outright bizarre, because not a single other team scored more running TDs than they did passing TDs, while we scored more than half again as many run TDs as passing TDs.

"Make him be a quarterback." That's the game plan these days. They try to take away the run, and last year the run game was so good the defenses just couldn't do it.

Make no mistake...the key to beating the Bills so long as TT is QB will be to make him beat you with his arm.

If you listed the top twenty football-isms, "take away the run game" would figure high on the list. A zillion coaches, defensive coordinators, sideline commentators, and booth analysts have solemnly pronounced those words - even about skilled passing teams to make them "one dimensional". This would be doubly true about a team so heavily Run First as the Bills. Newsflash : Running the offense scheme Ryan committed to (well before Taylor ever signed with the team) every single opponent was going to say their goal was to make the Bills win through the air. And yet the anti-Taylorites take this piece of stale sports-speak and invest it with mystical significance as the ultimate TT insult. Given they find Taylor so insult-worthy, you'd think they'd do better than something so lame.

Edited by grb

If you listed the top twenty football-isms, "take away the run game" would figure high on the list. A zillion coaches, defensive coordinators, sideline commentators, and booth analysts have solemnly pronounced those words - even about skilled passing teams to make them "one dimensional". This would be doubly true about a team so heavily Run First as the Bills. Newsflash : Running the offense scheme Ryan committed to (well before Taylor ever signed with the team) every single opponent was going to say their goal was to make the Bills win through the air. And yet the anti-Taylorites take this piece of stale sports-speak and invest it with mystically significance as the ultimate TT insult. Given they find Taylor so insult-worthy, you'd think they'd do better than something so lame.

To take it a step further the Bills had a higher YPC than any team in like 20 years (at least through 16 weeks). We talk a lot about "taking away the running game" and no one ever does.

And yes the Bills scored a lot. Again, mostly the run game. 17 passing touchdowns last year, which was 27th in the league. That ain't good. Whereas the run game had 29 TDs, 1st in the league, and by a wide margin. The second team scored nearly 20% less, the Cowboys with 24 and the third and fourth teams in the league tied at 20. In other words they had almost a third more TDs than the two teams tied for third place. The run game was terrific.

Two points :

(1) "yes the Bills scored a lot" is manfully conceded. Now if we can just get you to admit a TD rushing & passing both count the same six points, we'd make real progress..........

(2) The Bills scored 29 rushing tds, way out in front of the Cowboys who scored 5 less. Of course Taylor himself scored 6 rushing tds, but I believe you're on record in an earlier thread as saying they don't count..........

Edited by grb

Two points :

(1) "yes the Bills scored a lot" is manfully conceded. Now if we can just get you to admit a TD rushing & passing both count the same six points, we'd make real progress..........

(2) The Bills scored 29 rushing tds, way out in front of the Cowboys who scored 5 less. Of course Taylor himself scored 6 rushing tds, but I believe you're on record in an earlier thread as saying they don't count..........

Taylor scored the 19th most TD's last season. That's not good enough.

Taylor scored the 19th most TD's last season. That's not good enough.

Taylor by himself 19th in TDs last season is not good enough. You are correct. People keep missing the point though. Our offense as a unit was top 10 in scoring. That is good enough. At least for playoffs.

I think everyone hopes that we get our next Jim Kelly finally but some of us feel that until we have that opportunity that Taylor is the best we are going to have. At least that is how I feel. I think next year is that opportunity.

For all those that insist Taylor is terrible is where I take issue. He is not terrible. He is average. Average in this league is actually pretty good. There have been a lot of crappy QBs drafted in the years that we passed on. There may be two or three QBs that we could have had that would have been great for us but that's two or three out of 50+.

Edited by Scott7975

This team is talented enough to win. The offense is talented enough to score points and play well against anyone. It was built to beat you up and take away your will to play.

Grind it out, grind it out, then hit the big play

Of course we aren't built for TT to throw 500 times a year. He isn't that kind of QB. But behind a good offensive line and handing it off to shady McCoy we can win games and score points

Limit turnovers , and win the TOP battle And hit 2-3 big passes a game and this team should have more success than failure. TT just has to be a competent driver of the vehicle

Does this factor in his running TDs

Yes.

Taylor by himself 19th in TDs last season is not good enough. You are correct. People keep missing the point though. Our offense as a unit was top 10 in scoring. That is good enough. At least for playoffs.

I think everyone hopes that we get our next Jim Kelly finally but some of us feel that until we have that opportunity that Taylor is the best we are going to have. At least that is how I feel. I think next year is that opportunity.

For all those that insist Taylor is terrible is where I take issue. He is not terrible. He is average. Average in this league is actually pretty good. There have been a lot of crappy QBs drafted in the years that we passed on. There may be two or three QBs that we could have had that would have been great for us but that's two or three out of 50+.

19th is by definition below average

Yes.

19th is by definition below average

It is? 1-11 / 12-22 / 23-32. He would be in the middle third block (pun intended), which would be the average block. I mean I guess its below avg, if only 2 QBs in the league is considered average with everyone above being above avg and everyone below being below average. I guess 15 QBs can be above average and 15 QBs can be below average while only 2 are average.

Edited by Scott7975