The Tyrod Taylor Question

I wouldn't make that assumption under Rex, but at this point I am as far from a Rex fan as you're going to find.

But, perhaps, this may be the difference between the Rex offense, and the McD offense-- less of an option offense? In which case, I agree with you and Kirby that this offense may not be a better fit for the Taylor we have seen, unless he can adapt to it. But, if Dennison designs an offense that uses quick routes, including slants to the middle, that also allows for TT's mobility... then this could be a fun season.

As far as I know, Rex had little to nothing to do with the offensive operation.

I don't think TT is a quick slant guy, but we'll certainly find out. If he could add those routes to his game, this offense would certainly click.

Edited by jmc12290

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, Rex had little to nothing to do with the offensive operation.

I don't think TT is a quick slant guy, but we'll certainly find out. If he could add those routes to his game, this offense would certainly click.

This offense was top 10 in scoring....there is nothing wrong with its "click"

Does it need to improve on some things? Yes.

The real question which was worth debating instead of all this "is he average, a bit above average or a bit below average?" is does this offense suit him or not?

I think that subject was a worthy debate because he is the only QB we have on the roster we can win games with. The question is whether this offense plays to his strengths or exposes his weaknesses?

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/194613-article-on-why-2017-passing-game-can-make-giant-leap-forward/

That debate inevitably devolved, too :doh:

Old School, with all due respect you really can't see the significance of taking into account rushing numbers for QBs like Newton and Taylor? Obviously without that aspect of their games they wouldn't be starting QBs. 17 or 18 rushing TDs over a 16 or 18 year career doesn't have much significance. But 17 or 18 rushing TDs over just 3 or 4 seasons has a huge significance. Same thing with 500-600 rushing yards on a season.

Also, with Taylor I still maintain that we have to see what he does in year three before we truly no what we have or don't have with him. His 2015 season was very good. His 2016 season was below average. His 2017 season will be the tiebreaking season for him. Another very good season from him like his 2015 season could very well likely cement him as our QB for the 2018 season.

Yeah 17 passing TDs in 15 games is pretty poor. But what about 20 passing TDs in 14 games? All this of course complicated still with Watkins missing significant time in both 2015 and 2016.

30 total TDs should probably cement him as the starter for 2018. I think he gets real consideration around 26-27. At the same time I don't think I would be opposed to drafting a top QB prospect in the first round still and letting him sit for a couple years. Or just let the two duke it out in pre-season and see who wins the job. That's how Taylor won his starting job here to begin with. And other recent rookie QBs like Dak and Wilson showed similar early success and also won their jobs.

Oh man.... helluva post and spot on :thumbsup: Edited by transplantbillsfan

This would mean the Bills have a truly balanced attack. Scoring with the pass and the run.

As I said I tries to pick a reasonable number.

8 more passing TDs than last year. That's 1 additional passing TD every 2 games.

Taylor needs to be better than 2016.

That was not good enough.

What if in 2017 his final stats are 430+ passing attempts, 8 YPA, 64% completion %, 3500 yards passing, 23 passing TDs, 7 INTs, 650 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs, 1 lost fumble?

Would 4000 total yards, 28 TDs and 8 turnovers manage to keep him in Buffalo as the starter beyond 2017?

Taylor needs to be better than 2016.

That was not good enough.

What if in 2017 his final stats are 430+ passing attempts, 8 YPA, 64% completion %, 3500 yards passing, 23 passing TDs, 7 INTs, 650 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs, 1 lost fumble?

Would 4000 total yards, 28 TDs and 8 turnovers manage to keep him in Buffalo as the starter beyond 2017?

That would be pretty good. I'd probably be okay.

You're cherry picking one specific point made in a single Tyrod thread. Come on man.

Isn't that the point John was making?

That would be pretty good. I'd probably be okay.

Those are Taylor's numbers from 2015 if you were to "project" his numbers for the 2 games he didn't play in: Cincy & Jax

I've been saying all along, his 2015 production was really impressive for any first year starting QB and expecting him to build on those numbers seems almost unreasonable.

But I am glad we can agree on his 2015 production being a relative benchmark.

Edited by transplantbillsfan