The Tyrod Taylor Question

now that we signed Boldin, i'm guessing there are no more excuses.

well, there is always the turf toe one i guess....

none

Now its up to Taylor and a good supporting cast to get the job done...

Edited by Figster

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now that we signed Boldin, i'm guessing there are no more excuses.

well, there is always the turf toe one i guess....

No, there shouldn't be for anyone.

He gets his weapons and the year he earned to prove he can either be a viable long term answer at QB or that the Bills need to put their draft arsenal towards a 1st round QB next year.

Its called a learning curve my friend,

Once upon a time QB's progressed along a 3 year ( starting time frame) before the game begins to slow down and everything a QB has learned kicks in. One or two have early success and now everyone is supposed to hit the field running.

In the real world nothing has changed including the average amount of time it takes a young QB prospect to adjust to the NFL in my humble opinion AFL, and no, sitting on a bench doesn't help much, not IMO.

Throwing with anticipation takes time and practice throwing in the same system to the same play makers.

Myself personally, Taylor has already begun to show good chemistry with Clay and Watkins.

Boldin is key ...

Agreed Boldin should help.

But sitting on the bench absolutely helps a good QB who is working hard on understanding the game and working hard on his fundamentals while he sits.

Aaron Rodgers was awful in training camp and in preseason his first two years. Then in his third year, still behind Favre, a bit better and then in his fourth year it came together, both in camp and in preseason. Much better. Sitting absolutely helps. There's a limit to it. The guy who has sat ten won't be three and a half times better than the guy who's sat three, but it absolutely helps.

From an interview with Bob McGinn on his retirement after 38 years as the Packers beat writer:

The MMQB: "You documented how fortunate it was that Aaron Rodgers didn’t have to play the first couple of years—he just wasn’t ready."

McGinn: “He was a very poor player here for his first two summers and regular-season practices. Fortunately for him, and he knows that down deep, he didn’t have to play early. His delivery was a mess, bad body language, he didn’t know how to deal with teammates. He learned so much from Brett Favre on how to in some ways be one of the guys and relate, and he became much more of a leader. He was really poor and how many great players have ever had a start like that? Not that many. A lot of scouts look at that exhibition tape those first two years and he was a little bit better the third year, but not to any degree, and then he just really developed. He lost a lot of close games in ’08, but by ’09 he was playing great and by 2010 he was maybe the best in the business. And then there have been a lot of playoff disappointments and poor performances. It’s a quarterback league and all the rules are designed for that quarterback to dominate, and he hasn’t done it in the most important times since 2010."

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/13/themmqb-exit-interview-bob-mcginn-green-bay-packers-milwaukee-journal-sentinel-nfl-beat-writer

Edited by Thurman#1

Agreed Boldin should help.

But sitting on the bench absolutely helps a good QB who is working hard on understanding the game and working hard on his fundamentals while he sits.

Aaron Rodgers was awful in training camp and in preseason his first two years. Then in his third year, still behind Favre, suddenly he was much better both in camp and in preseason. Much better. Sitting absolutely helps. There's a limit to it. Sitting ten years won't help you much more than sitting three or so probably, but it absolutely helps.

My point is 5 years on the bench doesn't mean Taylor gets to avoid all the growing pains a starter is going to go through adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

Had Taylor gotten more play time with the Ravens I might think differently...

Not hiding anything at all, you have the seven games. Just go watch all the passes from those games and see if you come out with the same numbers as me. And if you don't, we can have a discussion.

Just tell me the game, down and distance, and targeted WR with outcome and I'm smart enough to figure out which play it was so we can further pursue this wonderful discussion :flirt:

See this folks. Classic.

This is how Trannie probably thinks scientists publish each others work too. Like this:

Scientist 1: I've come up with kind of a breakthrough here. I combined compound 1 and compound 2 and they produced a small explosion and a bit of compound 3. Awesome. If you don't believe it, do it yourself and check it.

Scientist 2: I will check it. How much of each compound did you use? What temperature did you combine them at?

Scientist 1: You're a smart guy. Figure it out yourself. (Trannie's first response to me on this issue.)

Scientist 2: Hunh? I'm asking a question so I can check your work. That's the way work becomes valuable, if it's repeatable. How much did you use and what temperature did you combine them at? Did you need an enzyme or any other compounds?

Scientist 1: Just go do it yourself and if you have the same results we can have a discussion.

Trannie's not confident in his results, so he wants to leave himself wiggle room. All he has to do is go back and put the game times on the seven plays he himself picked out. Take him five minutes. That's what a confident person would do. Confident people make it easy to check, not hard.

Shows what he himself thinks of his own numbers. They're weaker than a spoonful of vanilla ice cream in an August rain.

Edited by Thurman#1

My point is 5 years on the bench doesn't mean Taylor gets to avoid all the growing pains a starter is going to go through adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

Had Taylor gotten more play time with the Ravens I might think differently...

It was four years on the bench, not five.

And you're right, there are always growing pains. But the good ones have growing pains and still manage to show themselves franchise guys by year six, no matter what their career arc, again with the single exception of Gannon.

Maybe it would have been different if he'd gotten more playing time there, but guys with college records like Tyrod get drafted as backups in the mid-rounds, not starters in the top one or two rounds. Some guys still fight through that and when they get their chance to start they make hay.

If Taylor goes on to become our franchise QB would it be safe to say Buffalo discovered /uncovered his franchise potential after Taylors 1st season with Bills.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question.

If he becomes our franchise QB, he'll have proved himself a true exception, a very unusual guy and a very unusual case.

"... Uncovered his franchise potential after his first season with the Bills"? Wouldn't even be a question, which is why I'm not sure if I'm missing your point.

If.

Edited by Thurman#1

I'm not quite sure I understand your question.

If he becomes our franchise QB, he'll have proved himself a true exception, a very unusual guy and a very unusual case.

"... Uncovered his franchise potential after his first season with the Bills"? Wouldn't even be a question, which is why I'm not sure if I'm missing your point.

If.

I'm just fitting Taylor into your 6 year window so you can sleep better tonight :flirt:

Edited by Figster

I'm just fitting Taylor into your 6 year window so you can sleep better tonight :flirt:

I sleep fine. And he doesn't have to "be fit."

He fits perfectly, as one of a host of guys who by the end of their sixth years did not manage to prove themselves a franchise QB. And out of that entire group of, what, over a thousand QBs who didn't prove themselves a franchise guy by the end of their sixth year, exactly one, Rich Gannon, then made major improvements and became a franchise guy.

Tyrod fits perfectly into a very large group and a smaller but still large group of people who started off with several years on the bench and then got a chance to start and still didn't prove themselves by the end of their sixth year. And again, none of them became franchise QBs but Gannon.

See this folks. Classic.

This is how Trannie probably thinks scientists publish each others work too. Like this:

Scientist 1: I've come up with kind of a breakthrough here. I combined compound 1 and compound 2 and they produced a small explosion and a bit of compound 3. Awesome. If you don't believe it, do it yourself and check it.

Scientist 2: I will check it. How much of each compound did you use? What temperature did you combine them at?

Scientist 1: You're a smart guy. Figure it out yourself. (Trannie's first response to me on this issue.)

Scientist 2: Hunh? I'm asking a question so I can check your work. That's the way work becomes valuable, if it's repeatable. How much did you use and what temperature did you combine them at? Did you need an enzyme or any other compounds?

Scientist 1: Just go do it yourself and if you have the same results we can have a discussion.

Trannie's not confident in his results, so he wants to leave himself wiggle room. All he has to do is go back and put the game times on the seven plays he himself picked out. Take him five minutes. That's what a confident person would do. Confident people make it easy to check, not hard.

Shows what he himself thinks of his own numbers. They're weaker than a spoonful of vanilla ice cream in an August rain.

It'd take anyone 5 minutes given the detail I've already given you. Took you that long at least to come up with and type yet another really stupid analogy of yours.

And, honestly, if you weren't such an arrogant bastard when you first brought up providing the times, I probably would have done it. But that's what you are, so that's asking too much.

At this point you're just stupidly derailing what could be a good discussion.

I'll come back if you ever want to talk about this topic having watched the plays you could easily find... 0:)

Edited by transplantbillsfan

I'll come back if you ever want to talk about this topic having watched the plays you could easily find... 0:)

You keep feeding the fire transplant. IGNORE them. you can scan past them or put them on your ignore list.

the TT discussion has been beat to death 1 million times over.

There are people sold on TT,

There are people who know what he is and think TT will improve,

There are people who know what he is and don't think TT will improve,

There are people not sold on TT.

IMO Nothing will change those opinions until week 8 of the season.

You keep feeding the fire transplant. IGNORE them. you can scan past them or put them on your ignore list.

the TT discussion has been beat to death 1 million times over.

There are people sold on TT,

There are people who know what he is and think TT will improve,

There are people who know what he is and don't think TT will improve,

There are people not sold on TT.

IMO Nothing will change those opinions until week 8 of the season.

I'm feeding the fire? And why do you say "them" as though I've been out of line with multiple posters in this thread?

I'm actually trying to have some discussion here and you think I'm the primary guilty party.

Typical.

Here's an idea, direct your corrective posting crusade at some of the other posters (just one in this case) who need to fix their incendiary posting and I'll believe at that point you're genuinely trying to be helpful in some way.

As of now it just looks like you don't agree with what I say and don't want to keep reading stuff you disagree with, you act like you're being helpful here, yet you only seem to direct these "helpful" posts towards me when others need clearly the same if not more help.

Spread the love, Shady, spread the love 0:)

I sleep fine. And he doesn't have to "be fit."

He fits perfectly, as one of a host of guys who by the end of their sixth years did not manage to prove themselves a franchise QB. And out of that entire group of, what, over a thousand QBs who didn't prove themselves a franchise guy by the end of their sixth year, exactly one, Rich Gannon, then made major improvements and became a franchise guy.

Tyrod fits perfectly into a very large group and a smaller but still large group of people who started off with several years on the bench and then got a chance to start and still didn't prove themselves by the end of their sixth year. And again, none of them became franchise QBs but Gannon.

I think If you had asked Rex Ryan going into Taylors second season he would probably tell you he believes Buffalo has found their guy.

Now the Bills new HC McD who seems like a very football savvy kinda fella basically just put his HC career on the line by saying we're going to win now with Tyrod Taylor.

So with all due respect, I'll take their action speaks louder than words, over yours.

It'd take anyone 5 minutes given the detail I've already given you. Took you that long at least to come up with and type yet another really stupid analogy of yours.

And, honestly, if you weren't such an arrogant bastard when you first brought up providing the times, I probably would have done it. But that's what you are, so that's asking too much.

So you refuse to provide the info that he called you into question on, and now you pretend to be above it and say you're out of this thread?

Yeah...Thurman appears to have nailed it in regards to you.

I'm feeding the fire? And why do you say "them" as though I've been out of line with multiple posters in this thread?

My advice? If we're gonna get this thread to 100 pages then everybody is going to have to pace themselves......

So you refuse to provide the info that he called you into question on, and now you pretend to be above it and say you're out of this thread?

Yeah...Thurman appears to have nailed it in regards to you.

It's info literally anyone can easily find. Thurm's just nasty about the way he asks for (or requires) those things before anything else.

Since he was (and always has been) nasty about it. I'm not doing work he could easily do.

I've noticed it's been a while since you've been anything more than a color commentator in a thread.

Ever consider engaging in actual discussion rather than commenting on the discussion that's occurring? 0:)

I'm actually trying to have some discussion here and you think I'm the primary guilty party.

Spread the love, Shady, spread the love 0:)

How many warning points do you have beyond being put in the penalty box?

Lighten up. You take **** too serious and read every post as a personal attack.

I do "spread the love". It

I'm not jm2009 who stalks people