The Tyrod Taylor Question

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tyrod earns his big contract, then I would not think we draft a QB.

Indeed if Tyrod steps up this year and plays at a Franchise level we will not draft one..... but if he is the same guy we let him play on the $18m next year and don't rush the rook then let Tyrod go with our best wishes in 2019. Unless someone wants to flip us a pick this time next year in Bradford to Vikings style.

As opposed to the ZERO you have started about anything else?

The one having trouble here is you trying to pretend you are something you're clearly not, and nobody is gullable enough to see it any other way.

Who's pretending?

I've never hidden the fact that I only like talking about the Bills starting QB. And I haven't hidden the fact that I think Taylor's shown enough positive on the field to warrant more time in order to determine if he can be a Franchise QB.

That's been my stance. I have no clue what you think it really is. You seem to just be deluded by your strange infatuation with disagreeing with every word I post.

Keep up the crusade, Transplant.

You continually prove myself and others who have called your motives into question right over and over again.

You will never let a Tyrod thread die until you have the last word so you can pretend you are right.

Talk about nauseating...

Thanks for clearing that up, chief.

The message board police is currently reviewing your credentials and will contact you shortly...

Awww, you just can't quit me, can you?

When I feel nauseated, I step away from whatever I'm doing for a good long time. Just a bit of advice :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Where are the people saying he is a running back playing Quarterback? Feel free to point them out.

Crusher did it just a few posts after you asked that very question when he said he's "an athlete playing QB." That's the same thing even if it's not the exact same wording.

I'm not going through other threads to prove something like that. It's like you telling me the sky isn't blue, you've never actually looked up.

What if we get more of the same from him next year? We can have this debate all over again? Or do we go after a QB?

If Taylor looks exactly like he did in 2016, we're definitely drafting a QB in the 1st, as we should.

The answer is:

Make the playoffs

or

QB Rating north of 95 and 24+TD and 10 or fewer INTs

Making the playoffs matters, but that's not a QB stat.

My numbers for Taylor staying in Buffalo after this year are this:

>/=4000 yards passing, >/=30 passing TDs, </=10 INTs, >/=7.0 YPA

He gets there, he's doing something really right, and he remains the starter in Buffalo.

If it's less than that, it would depend on how much less and whatever other factors.

Crusher did it just a few posts after you asked that very question when he said he's "an athlete playing QB." That's the same thing even if it's not the exact same wording.

I'm not going through other threads to prove something like that. It's like you telling me the sky isn't blue, you've never actually looked up.

If Taylor looks exactly like he did in 2016, we're definitely drafting a QB in the 1st, as we should.

Does TT command and orchestrate the offense?

Does TT audible out of plays when he sees something favorable?

Does TT stay in the pocket and routinely wait for receivers to come open?

Does TT make multiple reads?

Does TT throw with anticipation?

Does TT use the entire field?

It sure seems to me like he doesn't check many of these boxes...at least often enough to make me think he's more of a passer that can run over a runner who can pass at times.

It is what it is, and I'm certainly not shying away from my statement.

What if we get more of the same from him next year? We can have this debate all over again? Or do we go after a QB?

The real interesting question is how good Taylor would have to be. If he had another meh year like 2016 there'd be no question. But I'm betting he could be significantly better and a big package deal of draft picks for a QB would still appeal to many. Let's quantify it : Say Taylor's passing rating puts him somewhere between no 15 & 12, which is possible. Or say he has a good year in a ten win season with the wild card. Do the Bills invest their picks elsewhere, spend one first rounder on the QB that falls to them, or try for a major move?

You think the Great Tyrod Message Board War is harsh now, imagine that scenario !

I'm betting it would get ugly......

Making the playoffs matters, but that's not a QB stat.

My numbers for Taylor staying in Buffalo after this year are this:

>/=4000 yards passing, >/=30 passing TDs, </=10 INTs, >/=7.0 YPA

He gets there, he's doing something really right, and he remains the starter in Buffalo.

If it's less than that, it would depend on how much less and whatever other factors.

If he puts numbers like that up not only will he be doing something right, he would possibly be the MVP of the league. Because you know in addition he'll likely have 500 rushing yards and another 5 TDs on the ground. Cam Newton put up 3800 yards 35 TDs 10 INTs and 7.75 ypa in his MVP season.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Yeah, he forgot to mention it can on getting QBs he's heard of. :)

What?

The criteria I gave Thurm that he told me at least 50 guys met consisted of 3 things:

1) Rode the bench all or the vast majority of entire rookie contract (4 years)

2) Given the opportunity to compete for a starting QB job, he won the starting job

3) Played up to the end of year 6 at "starting QB level," meaning somewhere in the middle or better of the 32 starters

My reasoning for #1 specifically is because of the arbitrary criteria set forth about how "if a QB hasn't proven to be a franchise QB by his 7th year, he's not one." Well, if you're on the bench for all but 35 pass attempts of your first 4 years, that gives you 2 years to prove your a franchise QB, which just isn't something that always happens for QBs in their first 2 years. You'd love it if they played lights out or absolutely horribly so that you know, but that leaves out that very large number of NFL QBs who are learning the game and showing both flashes and struggles in their first 2 years.

What I think Thurm did was what a lot of folks here do, like what Crusher has been doing a number of times in this thread, he latched onto one thing without considering the rest.

Thurm's right, lots and lots of QBs meet #1. That much is obvious.

I'm still waiting for QBs who meet #2 or #3. If #2 and #3 don't exist, then Taylor's situation is incredibly unique.

The real interesting question is how good Taylor would have to be. If he had another meh year like 2016 there'd be no question. But I'm betting he could be significantly better and a big package deal of draft picks for a QB would still appeal to many. Let's quantify it : Say Taylor's passing rating puts him somewhere between no 15 & 12, which is possible. Or say he has a good year in a ten win season with the wild card. Do the Bills invest their picks elsewhere, spend one first rounder on the QB that falls to them, or try for a major move?

You think the Great Tyrod Message Board War is harsh now, imagine that scenario !

I'm betting it would get ugly......

In that case my personal opinion would be keep Tyrod and take a QB with the first pick, but don't trade up. If he regresses or looks about the same as 2016 I'm all in on a big "sell the farm" trade up.

No that is not the same to me. I think he is that too... I think that about plenty of other Quarterbacks.... it doesn't mean I think they are running backs playing Quarterback (Kaep, Cam, Trevor Knight who played some for Arizona last night) . It just means to me that he is a superior athlete still learning to play the position from the pocket. Edited by GunnerBill

Does TT throw with anticipation?

This is the zombie talking point I find most hilarious. I'm not saying there isn't a modicum of truth to it, but since it became the go-to Taylor insult there's a lot of people who have "throw with anticipation" on their poor fevered brain. Here's what I advise for a cure : First, watch Taylor play and you'll see plenty of times where he does "throw with anticipation" - just like you'll see some of those middle throws invisible to so many. Second, watch other QBs play and you'll see plenty of throws exactly like Taylor's, anticipation or not. Heck, I recently watched Nathan Peterman's game this year against VT on youtube (he balled out that game), but kept looking for all those "throw with anticipation" passes. Because everyone knows NP "throws with anticipation", right?

So, after you tally all the times TT does, and all the times everyone else doesn't, you'll get a relatively small delta where Taylor can be more efficient. However by that point you'll be drained of all your "throw with anticipation" fever. You'll be cured!

Edited by grb

If he puts numbers like that up not only will he be doing something right, he would possibly be the MVP of the league. Because you know in addition he'll likely have 500 rushing yards and another 5 TDs on the ground. Cam Newton put up 3800 yards 35 TDs 10 INTs and 7.75 ypa in his MVP season.

I just put up the numbers I think absolutely keep him in Buffalo no matter what.

I'm not saying if/when he gets numbers lower than that we don't keep him, I'm just saying if he reaches those numbers, it's pretty much a lock he's not going anywhere.