The Tyrod Taylor Question

This is Not an excuse for anyone player. But practice sometimes has players doing things new or differently than they will as we get closer to the season. And these nuances might be too subtle for the casual eye.

The motivations in practice are surely not to Win the Day.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may well believe that there should be a stat called yards per dropback. Because if there were, it would reflect well on Tyrod. That's clearly the main attribute you look for in terms of whether a stat should exist. Thing is, there isn't. And for good reason. It's never been considered useful or as providing a good look. Not to mention being a horrible kludge of a name. What's a dropback? Is it what QBs do on passing plays? But don't they drop back in play action? And reverses? And handoffs, really? It's just a stupid name. QBs drop back on every play except the ones where they're in shotgun. And a horrible kludge of a stat too.

And you say you're considering sacks ... and yet you're still using the 8.0 figure instead of the 6.1. Wonder why that is? Oh, yeah, because it makes Tyrod look better. Yet again cherrypicking, this time for the stat that makes him look better.

When it's third and 14, teams don't run much. For obvious reasons. But hey, Tyrod can average 6.1 yards per dropback on average if he scrambles. And that's one of the higher averages in the league so since it makes Tyrod look good, everything's OK.

There's a reason people look at pass and run stats separately. They go together awkwardly and for a QB passing ability is wildly more important. And that play is a perfect example of why.

1:15 left in the game, down by six, first down at the Seattle 23. Robert Woods is stunningly wide open in the deep middle third of the field - Tyrod's kryptonite, the deep and intermediate middle third - uncovered in the end zone for a 23 yard TD and Tyrod simply doesn't see him.

Eight yard run. Looking at your stat, that looks great. But it cost us the game.

47 plays that are scrambles and you're trying to insinuate that on every single one of them he had these wide-open receivers running all over the field and that in not passing the football and running instead he left yardage on the field.

Yeah, sure, there were absolutely some plays where he could have passed the football to someone rather than run. And some of those same plays him running was still not just a positive play, but it may have been a touchdown or a first down, considering that the majority of his scrambles actually did gain a first down or a touchdown.

So, whine about getting a first down or a touchdown one way but not another, to me, that's a really simple minded approach. Yards are yards. First downs are first downs. Touchdowns are touchdowns.

Point out your one or two plays that you keep focusing on. That's fine.

Don't bother considering the numerous sacks he avoids and turns into positive yardage, often a first down or a touchdown. Instead, focus on that receiver that he missed on those one or two plays you're focusing on.

Don't bother considering the fact that even though she is the most sacked QB in the NFL, he loses among the least amount of yards per sack (it might be the least, actually) of all NFL QBs on a per play basis. This is likely a reason or at least a factor in why Buffalo was one of the best and most efficient teams in converting a first down after a sack.

Taylor has things he can improve upon, for sure. There are definitely plays where he runs when he should have passed. But in general, even saying that those plays where he ran instead of past hurt the offense is misguided nonsense.

Happydays has brought up and pointed out that outside of the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers, the Bills as an offense were the best in the NFL on plays where the QB was pressured; this includes those plays where a QB chooses to scramble, like Taylor.

That means something.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

It really doesn't matter, I just like to talk about your Tyrod obsession because it's a bit odd IMO.

The bolded and underlined sentence basically is stating "I"m not interested in discussing the Buffalo Bills, I'm only interested in discussing Tyrod Taylor".

Do you remember years ago a poster named SaviorEdwards?

SaviorEdwards would only talk about Trent Edwards....just like Trans does with Tyrod.

SaviorEdwards would comment on every post he could that was a negative about Edwards....just like Trans does with Tyrod.

SaviorEdwards jumped off the Edwards bandwagon at one point....just like Trans did with Tyrod.

SaviorEdwards jumped back on Edwards bandwagon once he had a decent game (literally one game). Just like Trans last year with Tyrod.

We have a new SaviorEdwards.....

This is called a homerun post.

So not only do you cherry pick legitimate stats, you're cherry picking made up stats. That's brilliant.

Another homerun post and exactly correct.

I think it's kinda sad that you find it worthwhile spending time talking about how another poster posts rather than talking about football stuff on a football message board.

I notice you do that a lot.

I explained my reasoning for the way I post.

I actually kind of hoped you'd be respectful in a response. I spent that time typing out that response only because of the respect I had for you as a poster. Instead, you choose to be a jerk.

Oh well, people disappoint and the world is full of jerks.

And whatever previous posters you want to compare me too, I will always be here under the same username rooting for my team and my quarterback.

I'm a diehard Bills fan before anything else within the team.

No, it really doesn't. I've been using it for a little bit while fiddling with a rating system. I called it yards per touch, not yards per dropback, but whatever. It's (Passing Yards + Rushing Yards - Sack Yards) / (Passing Attempts + Rushing Attempts + Sacks).

In 2016, Tyrod's YPT was 5.95, which was good for 25th out of the 33 QBs with at least 200 pass attempts. Top 5, you might ask? Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, and Drew Brees.

In 2015, Tyrod's YPT was 6.52, good for 12th out of 37 QBs with at least 200 pass attempts. The top 5 were Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees.

I've used YPT, too.

I distinguish YPD from YPT simply because (and I am not going to bore everyone to tears with my explanation again) a designed running play is very different from a designed passing play. Just consider the fact that net passing yards factors sacks into the equation. By that same logic, scrambles should be factored into the equation.

YPT is very easy to calculate, but it includes designed runs and scrambles altogether.

YPD is much more difficult because you have to go through the play by plays and count up the scrambles and the yards for every single quarterback. I've done it for Taylor and Taylor alone. It would take time to do everyone else, although the NFL should really just keep track of those differences between the scramble and the designed run.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

That is correct....you will find very few OUTSIDE of Buffalo that think he isnt a good qb

Oh, really?

Pretty sure that the word on Taylor outside of Buffalo is that he's just another guy...a placeholder until we draft the next guy who we all hope can become the guy.

It's pretty tough to find any big media guys claiming Tyrod is good. It's more like ok, or pretty good...that's about it.

Oh, really?

Pretty sure that the word on Taylor outside of Buffalo is that he's just another guy...a placeholder until we draft the next guy who we all hope can become the guy.

It's pretty tough to find any big media guys claiming Tyrod is good. It's more like ok, or pretty good...that's about it.

Umn.....that is what TT is...."pretty good"

He isnt a franchise guy....and pretty much everyone that even defends him is saying that.

Your crusade is that TT is "not good" and have been doing it since before the old BB board was extinguished.

Umn.....that is what TT is...."pretty good"

He isnt a franchise guy....and pretty much everyone that even defends him is saying that.

Your crusade is that TT is "not good" and have been doing it since before the old BB board was extinguished.

Call it whatever you wish.

I call it being realistic...unlike many fans who blindly believe he's something more than what he's shown, and that's just wishful thinking on their part.

I don't begrudge them, and if a miracle happens...that's awesome. I tend to go off of what I've seen, and what history tells me though, and it says this guy is what he is at this point.

Posters here claim they only view him as a decent player who isn't the guy, but they defend him vigorously, and many still talk as if he can get better and be the guy...again, just false hope and optimism.

Have at it with you're "crusade", and I'll carry on with mine. I suppose that's part of what this board is for.

Call it whatever you wish.

I call it being realistic...unlike many fans who blindly believe he's something more than what he's shown, and that's just wishful thinking on their part.

I don't begrudge them, and if a miracle happens...that's awesome. I tend to go off of what I've seen, and what history tells me though, and it says this guy is what he is at this point.

Posters here claim they only view him as a decent player who isn't the guy, but they defend him vigorously, and many still talk as if he can get better and be the guy...again, just false hope and optimism.

Have at it with you're "crusade", and I'll carry on with mine. I suppose that's part of what this board is for.

Nope...my crusading on this is done. The season is about to start and this is all gonna get straightened out......

People defend him because people like you throw dung at the wall and see what sticks. The fact of the matter is.....even the biggest supporter of Tyrod Taylor (transplantfan) has plainly said that he is not a franchise guy.....its just you attack....and he defends. Probably because Tyrod Taylor is the best QB we have had on this team since the last franchise guy we actually had....Jim Kelly.

If your going to continue to take swipes at tyrod taylor (and then say you arent...which we all know is bs) then expect fans to defend him.

Tyrod Taylor supporters cant even criticize him because there are a few popers like yourself that hate him soooo much.

only in buffalo...are Pro Bowlers not good enough.

LeSean McCoy.....over paid ?

Kyle Williams.....the only one loved by all ?....old....lol

Tyrod Taylor.... sucks ??

Richie Incognito......low life ?

Stephon Gilmore....over rated, not worth the money ?

Zach Brown....one year wonder ?

Lorenzo Alexander.....one year wonder ?

I say yes to the bolded.

Correct.

I think it's kinda sad that you find it worthwhile spending time talking about how another poster posts rather than talking about football stuff on a football message board.

I notice you do that a lot.

I explained my reasoning for the way I post.

I actually kind of hoped you'd be respectful in a response. I spent that time typing out that response only because of the respect I had for you as a poster. Instead, you choose to be a jerk.

Oh well, people disappoint and the world is full of jerks.

And whatever previous posters you want to compare me too, I will always be here under the same username rooting for my team and my quarterback.

I'm a diehard Bills fan before anything else within the team.

You going to be okay?

Nope...my crusading on this is done. The season is about to start and this is all gonna get straightened out......

People defend him because people like you throw dung at the wall and see what sticks. The fact of the matter is.....even the biggest supporter of Tyrod Taylor (transplantfan) has plainly said that he is not a franchise guy.....its just you attack....and he defends. Probably because Tyrod Taylor is the best QB we have had on this team since the last franchise guy we actually had....Jim Kelly.

If your going to continue to take swipes at tyrod taylor (and then say you arent...which we all know is bs) then expect fans to defend him.

Tyrod Taylor supporters cant even criticize him because there are a few popers like yourself that hate him soooo much.

Oh, but you are wrong.

Transplant has started numerous threads here talking up Tyrod, and started 19 other threads on Taylor over on the other board...so he's not just defending...he's out crusading and pushing an agenda.

You have it the other way around...myself and others hear enough praise for a guy who hasn't shown to be good enough, so we provide some much needed discussion and opinion that counters this pro Tyrod opinion...simple as that.

And one last thing...it's silly to say I hate Taylor. I don't hold feelings like that for football players, or persons who I do not know FTR. I don't like him as a QB and I do not see him as the right guy to get this team where it needs to go...this is what you need to understand.

47 TDs

15 turnovers

Better than a 3/1 ratio.

It's actually pretty simple.

Not awkward at all, especially for a super smart guy like you! :thumbsup:

Arbitrary arbitrary arbitrary blah blah blah blah.

That's all you're saying.

You say sixth year like it's a magical number. The problem is that absolutely none of the QBs you listed had his few regular season wraps as Taylor did. Why does that matter? Seems pretty obvious, but apparently you're too smart to get out of your own way sometimes so I'll explain briefly at least. QBs need some game time wraps in order to learn the game at full speed. ask any QB or listen to any interview of any QB pastor present and they say resoundingly that it's the on field experience that really matters.

You included some real jokes on that list, but let's look at something simple: passing attempts and first four years:

Tyrod Taylor: 35

Matt Schaub: 450

Shaun Hill: 0

Seneco Wallace: 166

David Garrard: 298

Damon Huard: 288

Rex Grossman: 675

Matt Cassell: 555

Jay Fiedler: 101

Kelly Holcomb: 73

Tony Romo: 220

Aaron Rodgers: 595

Steve Beuerline: 610

Danny White: 103

Shaun Hill, Tyrod Taylor, Seneca Wallace, Jay Fiedler, and Kelly Holcomb are the QBs who started less than a season's worth of games before the end of year 4.

Danny White is a completely different era and I don't know enough about him to discuss him.

It was obvious by their 7th years that Fiedler, Hill, Wallace and Holcomb were all backups, whether after moving from team to team and starting some random games but never winning a starting job outright or just not being good, at all.

The Taylor situation is incredibly unique. That's not saying he's going to be a franchise QB. It's just establishing how your prized "6th year" criteria really doesn't matter much here.

So you ask him to give you names of QB's to fit your criteria, and then once he does you add more qualifiers and dismiss him doing exactly what you asked of him?

What a joke

Edited by Crusher