CTE in nearly 90 percent of football players

That's not true. You can test for it.

Seriously. Pier review is the pillar on which the scientific method stands

it is the anchor on which the scientific world bases itself. A port in which fact becomes docked. The ship has sailed on many theories

K folks. I'll be here all night

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not true. You can test for it.

No, you can't. There is a test in clinical trials that may allow early (i.e. pre-mortem) detection, and it looks promising as the elevated biomarkers it detects correlate to reduced cognitive function...but the people tested have to die and have their brains dissected before it can be considered truly valid.

Seriously. Pier review is the pillar on which the scientific method stands

Whatever floats your boat, man...

I understand this is anecdotal, and I agree it would be good to know all of the repercussions, but the whole kids thing is where the CTE folks lose me.

I played from about 6-7 years old, had a group of friends I played with all the way through high school. Know plenty of others that played from middle school. We're all about 40, I don't know a single one of us that has noticeable brain issues. (Besides what you can derive from my posts, haha)

Sure, I guess we might develop issues down the road when we're 60-70+ but at that point there will be a long list of other factors I've brought on myself to damage my body.

JMHO.

Let's say that playing football from ages 10-18 increases the likelihood of getting CTE by 4-5 fold over those who play basketball.

What are you driving your kid to on Saturdays?

There's little doubt football can't be good for putting you at risk for brain trauma as part of the game--not as an accidental fall you might have in basketball or an accidental baseball in the gork. In football, head hits 100% happen multiple times a game as part of the game. Why would any parent put their kid to that risk intentionally when there are 50 other sports?

I was a soccer coach and my daughter played for me. Coached the same travel team for 6 years year round. I showed them how to head a ball so they could get the feel for it to protect themselves from injury. And we worked on technique without bashing headers. And that was it. Never encouraged them to head and in fact told them nothing was worth a concussion or brain injury. We had great success but two concussions too. One a body contact where player fell to the hard ground and hit her head and one a volleyed ball to the face that a player couldn't avoid.

These days kids get an enforced penalty for heading a ball below a certain age (13?).

Full contact football for kids is going the way of the dodo.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

No, you can't. There is a test in clinical trials that may allow early (i.e. pre-mortem) detection, and it looks promising as the elevated biomarkers it detects correlate to reduced cognitive function...but the people tested have to die and have their brains dissected before it can be considered truly valid.

Whatever floats your boat, man...

Educate yourself

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/185710-cte-and-current-bills-players/

My cousin was born with chronic hydro encephalopathy. They detected it with sonar and then drilled a hole in his tiny skull to drain the fluid.

This. I think you'll see parents steer kids more towards soccer, baseball and basketball. While those are not without their own risks, they are no where near what the risks of playing football are. I don't think it'll be anytime soon, but some of us might see the NFL completely different to todays version in our lifetime. Just my thoughts anyway.

I had a neighbor/tennis buddy who was a psychologist on a crusade regarding concussion. While you'd expect football to be bad, soccer was surprisingly bad for head injuries. Not just heading a ball that just traveled 50 yards through the air, but head to head contact fighting for 50/50 balls. The numbers were staggering, especially in girls soccer where you don't think about it as much.

They obviously need much larger studies comparing football to other sports and the general public. It's not unique to the NFL. I slipped on an icey sidewalk as a kid and still remember the burst of colors in my head. Take an objective look. Then, I still won't feel sorry for them because they made that decision. It's like smoking, we know it's bad for you, so what happens is on you. The league still has issues of they buried info, which is dumb, but the players will still play. The problem lies in parents who won't allow their kids to participate. Eventually it withers away.

I am not a big Deion Sanders fan... But I caught a comment by his wife, I think it was in regard to the whole domestic abuse thing.

"You (League) break them (players), you fix them."

All the money in world can't be thrown @ the problems... CTE, domestic abuse... Do the two go hand in hand?

Someone soon is going to die a very horrible death on the field from a collision, that might shake things up.

It has already happened in football with broken necks and heart attacks. In Soccer/Rugby from cardiac arrest. In boxing from blunt force to head, usually via the face or jaw, causing brain injury and death.

Getting back to the football brain injury debate. No one to my knowledge has suffered an instant death from a skull fracture or brain injury on field. The helmet does a great job of preventing it, however, it does not prevent concussions or CTE. The new "zero-1" helmet does show a lot of promise though.

Edited by cba fan

I am not a big Deion Sanders fan... But I caught a comment by his wife, I think it was in regard to the whole domestic abuse thing.

All the money in world can't be thrown @ the problems... CTE, domestic abuse... Do the two go hand in hand?

Prime time!

It has already happened in football with broken necks and heart attacks. In Soccer/Rugby from cardiac arrest. In boxing from blunt force to head causing brain injury and death.

Getting back to the football brain injury debate. No one to my knowledge has suffered an instant death from a skull fracture or brain injury on field. The helmet does a great job of preventing it, however, it does not prevent concussions or CTE. The new "zero-1" helmet does show a lot of promise though.

Is that the helmet that has water inside of it?

God in his (or her :flirt: ) infinite wisdom, saw fit to cover the earth in water for the protection of his most loved creations, mankind.

- The Book of Dog 147:87

God in his (or her :flirt: ) infinite wisdom, saw fit to cover the earth in water for the protection of his most loved creations, mankind.

I hate that I laughed at this.

No water. It does have tubes(@ 3:03) with a flared end that take up G's and Torque with a slight spin action which seem to help a lot, and likely explain the promising test graph results witch shows significant drop in G forces.

I imagine water is a non-starter as it is heavy and less weight is better for helmets.

Edited by cba fan

The NFL players should be worried because it provides an out to the NFL that CTE develops from playing Football long before they get to the NFL and seems to have little to do with the NFL itself. It indicates it has more to do with the amount of time spent playing. The NFL could very well use this study against the players.

I'm certain that Deion's wife isn't saying that because players/parents choose for them to play football as kids, in highschool, through college in the hope of playing in the NFL that puts a burden on the NFL to pay for them. That argument would defacto put the burden on any player injured in an attempt to obtain a career in the NFL.

If they win on that, I'm going to start suing Beer companies for all the practice I put in studying their product in an attempt to gain employment with them.

Edited by jeremy2020