CTE in nearly 90 percent of football players

Damn, that sucks man. I've "seen stars" multiple times but never got a concussion that I'm aware of. The only major injury I had playing football was a fairly minor knee injury. I actually got hurt worse playing baseball, hockey, & running track (I blew out my hip).

As for qb, my high school qb got an awful concussion and it seems like a position that can suffer some major head injuries.

Great post. Honestly, college football becomes a job and that sometimes is worse than the physical pain.

I think you have to let your kids choose themselves. As you said, football teaches/ reveals character. I see no point in pop warner football as a kid. Flag and 7-7 leagues are enough until high school.

As a parent, you draw the line on dangers you tolerate and those you don't. I'm surprised parents would be ok with the concussion and CTE risks from football and boxing when there are many other sports but everyone has to draw their own lines on what's ok to subject your kids to.

Growing up, I knew parents who would buy their kids beer. I see that today with pot. Different parents, different rules.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man who discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is concerned that recent attention given to the condition has obscured a larger truth about the brain health of football players.

"There has been so much fascination with CTE that we are going the wrong way," Dr. Bennet Omalu said. "CTE is just one disease in a spectrum of many diseases caused by brain trauma. If he doesn't have CTE, that doesn't mean he doesn't have brain damage. ...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20245394/dr-bennet-omalu-says-obsession-cte-obscuring-larger-truth-brain-health-football-players

I've wondered if fans like ourselves don't like to think about these things, or we dismiss the findings, because of our love for the sport. I see people do the same when someone brings up climate change. They don't want to think about it or they dismiss the findings because it could mean their company could go out of business

The man who discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is concerned that recent attention given to the condition has obscured a larger truth about the brain health of football players.

"There has been so much fascination with CTE that we are going the wrong way," Dr. Bennet Omalu said. "CTE is just one disease in a spectrum of many diseases caused by brain trauma. If he doesn't have CTE, that doesn't mean he doesn't have brain damage. ...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20245394/dr-bennet-omalu-says-obsession-cte-obscuring-larger-truth-brain-health-football-players

Related:

@AndrewBrandt

Retired NFL players must register for concussion settlement by Monday deadline for claims. 18,400 out of 21,000 class members have done so.

Get what you can.... was Union boss Gene Upshaw admired and worshiped by the media because he didn't once try to win a battle against the NFL?

Acceptance of the known risks at this point:

@BenVolin

New: Football will remain Tom Brady's first love, even if he continues to suffer concussions

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/08/04/don-think-that-anyone-business-tom-brady-says-his-conucussion-history/MZDO5e9gzesNHaTiJg21LI/story.html

And continues to not disclose them, apparently.

Remove all pads... all of them!! Watch the game slow down. Pads encourage hard and faster hits because the price paid the hitter is less. The receiver of the hit is not as fortunate.

Are concussions a huge problem with rugby? I am willing to be wrong here.....

Edited by Iraq Vet

@SJW / OMGdrama

"I played football, made a bunch of money and my life sucks because i made poor choices." Nfl player

@Guns&Ammo

NFL players found to have health issues in study only looking to find health issues.

This isnt science. Its a god damn joke

@SJW / OMGdrama

"I played football, made a bunch of money and my life sucks because i made poor choices." Nfl player

@Guns&Ammo

NFL players found to have health issues in study only looking to find health issues.

This isnt science. Its a god damn joke

Right. I'm sure there's no correlation.

CTE was diagnosed in 177 former players, or nearly 90 percent of brains studied.

Researchers still don't know how common it is in football or the general population. Some players with repeated concussions never develop it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20153831/report-finds-brain-disease-cte-almost-90-percent-football-players

all respect, zoid, wish you'd change the title. 90% of the brains of dead football players who were submited for study

most people who don't have any symptoms (and their families) prefer to be buried or to bury their dead loved ones in one piece, brain included...

thus we really have no idea how prevalent it is overall in football players or in the general population

Who cares. I dont see the same publicity for health ailments suffered by coal miners who make 1/1000 the amount some of these players make.

or wanda at kfc getting tbe super bucket and sky rocketing blood pressure and diabeetus

So 10% of the brains that they were expecting to have CTE didn't?

I think this is more significant than they understand. All of the brains study to date from NFL players were from former players that showed signs of CTE. The fact that it is not 100% is note worthy.

Research teams are trying to develop serum biomarkers to test for CTE, but the studies are still on-going. The issue from some of the initial research seemed to focus on the fact that some CTE biomarkers were nearly as prevalent in the general public as in athletes and that some other sports Hockey, Soccer, wrestling- all showed similar levels to football players.

Therefore - until they can do long term biomarker and brain research across the population- I will believe there is a link, but the impact is still up for debate.

RochFan, agreed but facts often find a way of not getting into evidence. If you hit someone repeatedly in the head with the force of a hammer, bad stuff is going to happen... we all know that...

all respect, zoid, wish you'd change the title. 90% of the brains of dead football players who were submited for study

most people who don't have any symptoms (and their families) prefer to be buried or to bury their dead loved ones in one piece, brain included...

thus we really have no idea how prevalent it is overall in football players or in the general population

Research on 202 former football players found evidence of a brain disease linked to repeated head blows in nearly all of them, from athletes in the National Football League, college and even high school. CTE was diagnosed in 177 former players -- nearly 90 percent of brains studied. That includes 110 of 111 brains from former NFL players; 48 of 53 college players; nine of 14 semi-professional players; seven of eight Canadian Football League players; and three of 14 high school players. The disease was not found in brains from two younger players.

The report doesn't confirm that the condition is common in all football players;

This is why I say all future players should sign an assumption of risk waiver or not be allowed to play. It is known, playing football for years most likely will give you this, but players assume the risk by doing so.

I don't feel that the NFL should be held accountable anymore now that its known.

Every employer in every industry is expected to take reasonable precautions for the safety and welfare of their employees to protect against known risks of the work they perform. The NFL should be held to the same standard. Under the law, "assumption of risk" cannot be applied to the negligence of another. If you go horseback riding, you do not assume the risk that the vendor negligently and improperly secured the saddle. An owner of an amusement park ride cannot absolve himself of responsibility for ensuring that the ride is safe and in good working order by printing an assumption of risk clause on the back of the ticket. The fact that you might know or be aware of the general possibility that the ride operator wasn't properly trained or that the saddles are sometimes in disrepair doesn't excuse another's negligence. Simply fulfilling the duty to warn of an inherent risk is not always determinative of liability.

The NFL's responsibility is to provide the best equipment and medical treatment available. Further, they have the responsibility to make whatever rule changes need to be made given the risks involved. Belatedly but thankfully, that is what the league is doing. The long term concern is that the CTE problem may not be fixable with rule changes, equipment changes or improved medical treatment. If that happens, football may go the way of cockfighting, dogfighting, base jumping, street racing and dueling. It will be outlawed. Parents across the country have already made this decision by signing their kids up for little league...soccer.

I love football so I hope it never comes to that but it isn't hard to imagine that it could.

I've wondered if fans like ourselves don't like to think about these things, or we dismiss the findings, because of our love for the sport. I see people do the same when someone brings up climate change. They don't want to think about it or they dismiss the findings because it could mean their company could go out of business

Exactly. That's why the NFL was directing their money away from studies that would hurt them and why their money is no longer wanted.

This is why I say all future players should sign an assumption of risk waiver or not be allowed to play. It is known, playing football for years most likely will give you this, but players assume the risk by doing so.

I don't feel that the NFL should be held accountable anymore now that its known.

If only the Romans offered waivers at the Coliseum, that would have fixed everything.