CTE in nearly 90 percent of football players

Hmmmm... but it's a very biased pool they are using for the brains (and rightly so.)

Saying 90% of those particularly picked and set aside have CTE does not mean 90% of everyone who played football will develop CTE.

(I am sorry to have to say that I have to say that second sentence, the way it is going in our world....)

weren't those who got checked the ones having issues?

It would be like people with stomach pains going to the doctor and being told they had an intestinal blockage...90% of the people they checked had intestinal blockages...of course because tehy are only checking those who had issues...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in the linkage between football and CTE, but am not sure to what degree. As the Doctor even mentions in the article, there is a tremendous selection bias here as all the brains tested have been donated for study as the subjects exhibited signs of CTE before death.

So much work to be done, but will be interesting to see results in 15-20 years when the studies include players who do not exhibit signs of CTE, as well as athletes from soccer, hockey, basketball etc..

also a factor is lifestyle choices. Steroids, medications, etc could play a factor

If you watch a game there is no way to find this surprising. The high schools are doing more to take precautions but the game is still the same. So much money, prestige and tradition involved that the kids brains are a secondary concern. Even doctors make light of the situation if they make their living treating the kids.

Yeah, the first thing I think of when an ER doc treats a gunshot wound is, "Wow, this guy is making light of this situation, gun violence is bad."

I don't know why people have such defensive positions on this like people are attacking football. More research needs to be done, but at the end of the day people still have choices. I wouldn't knock people who still play, nor would I knock those who are pushed away by the danger.

My personal opinion is that this will in fact lead to less people playing football growing up, but I doubt very much that the game as a whole would be in trouble or lose popularity. There will still be plenty of talent who find the benefits exceeding the negatives.

I don't know why people have such defensive positions on this like people are attacking football. More research needs to be done, but at the end of the day people still have choices. I wouldn't knock people who still play, nor would I knock those who are pushed away by the danger.

My personal opinion is that this will in fact lead to less people playing football growing up, but I doubt very much that the game as a whole would be in trouble or lose popularity. There will still be plenty of talent who find the benefits exceeding the negatives.

I enjoy watching tennis and boxing as well as football.

In tennis I can admire an older player out there for a last hurrah and move through a few rounds in upsets. Florian Meyer at 33 got through the first round of the German Open yesterday..

In boxing I'm concerned the older man may be killed or even more permanently damaged.

it's not quite there for football but it's starting to get more into my mind each year.

How so? There still will be people that are willing to take these risks for the money....

We've basically lost the great pasttimes of thoroughbred racing and boxing in my lifetime.

This is why I say all future players should sign an assumption of risk waiver or not be allowed to play. It is known, playing football for years most likely will give you this, but players assume the risk by doing so.

I don't feel that the NFL should be held accountable anymore now that its known.

The article said it was 99% of NFLers, 1 out of 111 didn't have it...

That doesn't change my views of seeing the game as something far away from legalized murder, but edging a fraction closer every year...

This is why I say all future players should sign an assumption of risk waiver or not be allowed to play. It is known, playing football for years most likely will give you this, but players assume the risk by doing so.

I don't feel that the NFL should be held accountable anymore now that its known.

I'm not sure you need this or could enforce it.

Everyone knows playing is going to lead to injury that may be permanent or disabling.

I recall some article in the 80s stating that EVERYONE who plays in an NFL games sustains an injury of consequence.

Edited by row_33

It doesn't shock me. I find it something difficult to wrestle with as a spectator. I guess the only thing that keeps me watching is that there's been enough light shed on the problem that any current/future player that doesn't know about this is choosing not to. The informed choice is an option now.

I agree. It's modern day Gladiator fighting and these guys now know that if they continue to do this as a career they will almost definitely suffer severe issues shortly after they retire that will affect them the rest of their lives. We simply were not meant to repeatedly bash our heads for long periods.

The article said it was 99% of NFLers, 1 out of 111 didn't have it...

a

It did not state this, it stated 1 out of 111 people that donated their brain because they were exhibiting symptoms did not have it...but have no clue if the other players that died in the last 5 years that did not donate their brain had it or not.

Some NFL players died of cancer...can you then make cancer a causation of playing in the NFL?

Edited by plenzmd1

these guys now know that if they continue to do this as a career they will almost definitely suffer severe issues shortly after they retire

where in the world does that come from?

Aikman had like 11 concussions, seems to be doing fine. Jimbo had lord knows how manu..seems to be fine. Tasker, Thurmal, Bruce..all seem to be doing fine. Talley does not...how do you make the leap they are all doomed shortly after retirement?

Edited by plenzmd1