CTE in nearly 90 percent of football players

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't shock me. I find it something difficult to wrestle with as a spectator. I guess the only thing that keeps me watching is that there's been enough light shed on the problem that any current/future player that doesn't know about this is choosing not to. The informed choice is an option now.

Which is why we need preventative testing for CTE. I cannot believe its not part of the physical for all draft eligible players and free agents. The NFL is a ruthless business.

gonna remove the brain, are ya?

Dooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn'ttttttttttttttt

Cccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrreeeeee

What's the study show in non football players of the same demographic? Other athletes?

Triggered?

I agree a 'control group' or other comparisons would be helpful, but it still wouldn't change the fact that this particular group of brains already studied were rife with CTE.

It's a violent contact game, just as bad as boxing, why is there surprise it does damage?

I read about Nick Buonoconti (sp) playing undersized out there and think that this is the equivalent of putting a middleweight in the boxing ring with a heavyweight, he's bound to get hurt real real bad.

So 10% of the brains that they were expecting to have CTE didn't?

There are a select few who have the genetic disposition for neuroplasticity. Their brain is able to repair itself better than others and functions as if it has not been damaged.

If you watch a game there is no way to find this surprising. The high schools are doing more to take precautions but the game is still the same. So much money, prestige and tradition involved that the kids brains are a secondary concern. Even doctors make light of the situation if they make their living treating the kids.

There are a select few who have the genetic disposition for neuroplasticity. Their brain is able to repair itself better than others and functions as if it has not been damaged.

Hmmmm... but it's a very biased pool they are using for the brains (and rightly so.)

Saying 90% of those particularly picked and set aside have CTE does not mean 90% of everyone who played football will develop CTE.

(I am sorry to have to say that I have to say that second sentence, the way it is going in our world....)

I believe in the linkage between football and CTE, but am not sure to what degree. As the Doctor even mentions in the article, there is a tremendous selection bias here as all the brains tested have been donated for study as the subjects exhibited signs of CTE before death.

So much work to be done, but will be interesting to see results in 15-20 years when the studies include players who do not exhibit signs of CTE, as well as athletes from soccer, hockey, basketball etc..

Hmmmm... but it's a very biased pool they are using for the brains (and rightly so.)

Saying 90% of those particularly picked and set aside have CTE does not mean 90% of everyone who played football will develop CTE.

(I am sorry to have to say that I have to say that second sentence, the way it is going in our world....)

Yeah, a broader study is needed, no question.

The selection bias exists because the subjects were mostly, if not all, showing signs and symptoms while living. No one 'donated' a subject that wasn't showing signs.