Define the Midwest

Stemming off of the conversation about the South within the Gettleman thread this let's move on to the Midwest. According to 538 there is even more debate as to which states comprise the region.

I'm going with Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri. What do you say?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stemming off of the conversation about the South within the Gettleman thread this let's move on to the Midwest. According to 538 there is even more debate as to which states comprise the region.

I'm going with Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri. What do you say?

East of the continental divide to the Mississippi River

/thread

Eastern Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, the Dakota's...

I'm cool with this.

Having lived in Buffalo and now Cincinnati, I feel that Cincinnati is the END of the northeast, and the BEGINNING of the south and midwest. So I put our portion of Ohio into the midwest. Not sure if Cleveland warrants that Midwest moniker, but Columbus does (Yolo).

The midwest ends when you hit Colorado west, Texas/Ohio south, Michigan north, and Ohio east.

I wouldn't classify anything west of Missisippi as midwest. I'd say, anything west of Rochester, south of Canada, north of Kentucky/WV to the River. Maybe include eastern parts of IA, MO & MN.

Without borders I'd cut cinci to the east but Columbus Midwest up to the Ohio line. Upper Atlantic of Erie to Pittsburgh down just below Pittsburgh to dc and then Baltimore. All below that is the south. The deep south runs below sc

So Midwest Cleveland to Columbus down to Missouri. To the Mississippi river but below canads

Having lived in Buffalo and now Cincinnati, I feel that Cincinnati is the END of the northeast, and the BEGINNING of the south and midwest. So I put our portion of Ohio into the midwest. Not sure if Cleveland warrants that Midwest moniker, but Columbus does (Yolo).

The midwest ends when you hit Colorado west, Texas/Ohio south, Michigan north, and Ohio east.

I lived in Cincinnati (Xavier grad) and certainly consider it Midwest. Cleveland.....not so much. Put that line somewhere between CBus and the Browns and I'm cool with that.

These regional definitions are crazy. Too many problems occur with whether or not you should define a region by geography or cultural commonalities. Some people don't even think of Kansas as being part of the Midwest. Isn't Kansas the very definition of that term? Places like Western PA and Buffalo are very difficult to claim as the Midwest from a geographic standpoint. Yet they are easier to claim as the Midwest from a cultural standpoint. Personally I wouldn't even consider Buffalo part of the Midwest.