Define the Midwest

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw You!

Hellman's made w/olive oil.

And... NEVER Miracle Whip! That's a "salad dressing" which should NEVER wreck a good salad!

:-)

agree on the miracle whip. Haven't tried Hellmans olive oil but I'm sure it's good b/c same brand.

If we expand to all sandwich spreads I actually prefer Dijonnaise.

Edited by YoloinOhio

agree on the miracle whip. Haven't tried Hellmans olive oil but I'm sure it's good b/c same brand.

If we expand to all sandwich spreads I actually prefer Dijonnaise.

I have been getting more and more "Midwest" and even smearing mayo on the bun before I put the hot, all-beef, "dirty water" dog on the hot dog bun. ;-)

Mayo... Hellman's love it, but they smear it on everything! My wife visited a friend's family in Terre Haute, Indiana years ago. It was Thanksgiving dinner. My wife was all set to dive into the nicely laid out cranberry sauce until... Her friend's aunt goes: "Oh Honey that ain't ready yet... I forgot...!" Then she proceeds to toss a dollop of mayo on EVERYTHING... Even the cranberry sauce. My wife did everything in her power not to gag & heave!!! Smile and say: "Thank You, what perfect touch." ;-) :-O

I have been getting more and more "Midwest" and even smearing mayo on the bun before I put the hot, all-beef, "dirty water" dog on the hot dog bun. ;-)

Mayo... Hellman's love it, but they smear it on everything! My wife visited a friend's family in Terre Haute, Indiana years ago. It was Thanksgiving dinner. My wife was all set to dive into the nicely laid out cranberry sauce until... Her friend's aunt goes: "Oh Honey that ain't ready yet... I forgot...!" Then she proceeds to toss a dollop of mayo on EVERYTHING... Even the cranberry sauce. My wife did everything in her power not to gag & heave!!! Smile and say: "Thank You, what perfect touch." ;-) :-O

oh no that is too much. I only like a small smear on sandwiches. Not even a fan of pasta or potato salad with mayo. Just a little for favor.

I would include Western PA in the "Midwest" As a native of Erie I can tell you it's much more of "midwestern" culture than an "eastern"

Yes, but how about central PA? That seems almost like the deep south. You drive ten miles east from Erie and its like Alabama

Yes, but how about central PA? That seems almost like the deep south. You drive ten miles east from Erie and its like Alabama

Schit. If that is the criteria, then everything is everywhere. We are nation in the sticks. I hear my brother-in-law talk like they do in the Northeast Kingdom (Vermont), and you'd think they were from the deepest parts of Appalachia. Well, I guess they are, "Northern Appalacia." Or just like the South, one word becomes the next with the sound of marbles rolling around their mouth. We get lot of southern towboat pilots. They just my hump for talking a mile a minute... I tell them good thing they ain't talking to my Polish grandmother! 200 mph! I bust on them back for having marbles in their mouths! ;-)

Schit. If that is the criteria, then everything is everywhere. We are nation in the sticks. I hear my brother-in-law talk like they do in the Northeast Kingdom (Vermont), and you'd think they were from the deepest parts of Appalachia. Well, I guess they are, "Northern Appalacia." Or just like the South, one word becomes the next with the sound of marbles rolling around their mouth. We get lot of southern towboat pilots. They just my hump for talking a mile a minute... I tell them good thing they ain't talking to my Polish grandmother! 200 mph! I bust on them back for having marbles in their mouths! ;-)

Honestly, straight down from Maine, through the middle of NY PA, WV, Maryland, Virginia down to Florida is all pretty similar. I guess its all about city-country divide.

That's why I can't think of a mid west culture. Chicago and St Louis don't exactly fit with rural Ohio, but all are mid-west

Honestly, straight down from Maine, through the middle of NY PA, WV, Maryland, Virginia down to Florida is all pretty similar. I guess its all about city-country divide.

That's why I can't think of a mid west culture. Chicago and St Louis don't exactly fit with rural Ohio, but all are mid-west

Yep! Out here when I moved, priest scolded me for saying town wrong. Short e is said long a. WTF! Now I got a twang! :-(

Good point. This is why it's challenging to define regions based on culture. If one were to base regions on culture it would have to be done from a historical prospective. Historically people in the rural north such as Vermont would be culturally different from their peers in the rural south. In modern times the real cultural divide exist only between city and county. Mass media has worked to create homogeneous culture. A redneck/white trash culture tends to exist in rural America across the board these days. Similiarly the urban/suburban yuppie culture is mostly universal as well.