Define the Midwest

Those people in Lincoln, Nebraska scoff @ those people in Lincoln, Illinois!

"They are so Great Lakes! We scoff at the notion that Lincoln, IL is in the Midwest... Ha!", They say.

MICHU-11-705-2.jpg

Now in all seriousness... Canada... Ontario trying to get bilateral support from the US to include much more than the above map shows, ie: The whole Midwest, is a joke. More economic & political clout lies with the more important region to the south and west.

I know, I am from BFLo and Gr8 Lakes need to be cared for... Yet, do it through economic and industrial prowess, not some made up regional BS that includes places like St.Louis in the Great Lakes region.

The region simply doesn't have the clout. That's why you see Indiana & Illinois separate itself from the other core Gr8 Lakes states, especially Michigan. The southern states and rest of Midwest simply won't be tied to the Gov't BS and boondoggles that are created to "protect The Lakes."

Deal with this. The westetn Lakes are part of the Midwest region as confirmed by the Census Bureau above.

I can't wait to see the "other" Midwest map the people who scoff draw up? I can't vseem to find it anywhere. GeoPolitical BS?

Pete "Seeger"

Bob "Seger"

Sorry, had to.

We have problems with that designation already.....we like to call it, Mid-Atlantic.

Oops. Would you believe I fat fingered the "e" on my phone's onscreen keyboard?

;-)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo -- all of Ohio (though Cincy is pushing it), Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa. I also think Western PA. Definitely not WNY.

I don't consider WNY or Western PA the Midwest. However, I don't see how anyone can include Western PA without WNY if you are using the cultural criteria as opposed to the geographic criteria.

I get that. That's not the issue. The OP mentions a thread. I am still looking that thread... Is it here on OTW? Where is it, so I can read it and figure this out.

It's the panthers gm getting fired. Detoured into is North Carolina the true south (and Virginia, Florida, Kentucky etc...)

A lot of the ny crowd went straight to the census definitions of the south and thought it was crazy to think otherwise-- but they get the "mindset" lines of demarcation in this discussion

Edited by NoSaint

I don't consider WNY or Western PA the Midwest. However, I don't see how anyone can include Western PA without WNY if you are using the cultural criteria as opposed to the geographic criteria.

Agree.

There are still only four regions. BFLo and Western PA are in Northeast.

Northeast

Midwest

South

West

Then there are sub regions. Some overlap. Like western Lakes are all Midwest. Northern (Michigan) and upper (Minnesota). Eastern Basin Lake Erie and all of Lake Ontario are in Northeast.

I'd still like to see Joe Minor's map of what he thinks the Midwest looks like. I know what his Great Lakes map looks like, that's easy any State or Province that borders on a Great Lake. But, that his map is surely absurd, its a overlapping of TWO regions, Midwest & Northeast. Sure they are all Great Lakes States but you can't call a person on Long Inland a Great Lakes resident. Same with Minnesotans. The person from The Arrowhead (Duluth/Lutsen) and the person from Albert Lea are both Midwesterners but they are NOT both Great Lakers (is that even a word?).

It's the panthers gm getting fired. Detoured into is North Carolina the true south (and Virginia, Florida, Kentucky etc...)

A lot of the ny crowd went straight to the census definitions of the south and thought it was crazy to think otherwise-- but they get the "mindset" lines of

demarcation in this discussion

Thanks!

Will check it out. Title didn't interest me.

EDIT to Last Post: Ut oh... LoL... Diving into those 10 pages now. NOW you did it Kirby.

I'd say... If it is below Mason-Dixon Line, it's The South.

South is a region like Midwest. Then there are sub regions like "Deep South"... Which is like sub region of Great Lakes. Didn't get too far into that thread since I am posting here. I need two computer screens! ;-)

182443-004-5D99BF57.jpg

MO gets dicey and that is where Census Bureau hits a snag.

EDIT to Last Post: Ut oh... LoL... Diving into those 10 pages now. NOW you did it Kirby.

I'd say... If it is below Mason-Dixon Line, it's The South.

South is a region like Midwest. Then there are sub regions like "Deep South"... Which is like sub region of Great Lakes. Didn't get too far into that thread since I am posting here. I need two computer screens! ;-)

182443-004-5D99BF57.jpg

MO gets dicey and that is where Census Bureau hits a snag.

Ha- who knew these topics would be so hot

It really has been fun. It kind of works because everyone thinks that they are right. The reality is "it depends on a region's perception." I thought that the polls on 538 were interesting once I found those articles. That wasn't the initial intent. I just thought that a bunch of people from Buffalo would be like "you are an idiot if you think NC isn't in the south!!" They were talking about a guy spending his whole life in the south. Before coming to Louisiana I don't know anyone that wouldn't have thought of NC as anything other than the south. After a decade here I don't know people that think of it as the South. Just thought it would get some people fired up in this dead time...

He he! I still say split MO in two and go right up the Missouri river with that extended Mason-Dixon Line. North is Midwest. Same with OH-PA Line. PA is Northeast, OH is Midwest.

Oh... And thanks Big-10. Can't even go to that traditional well anymore! Rutgers, Maryland and Happy Valley Midwest? You gotta be kidding me! ;-)

It really has been fun. It kind of works because everyone thinks that they are right. The reality is "it depends on a region's perception." I thought that the polls on 538 were interesting once I found those articles. That wasn't the initial intent. I just thought that a bunch of people from Buffalo would be like "you are an idiot if you think NC isn't in the south!!" They were talking about a guy spending his whole life in the south. Before coming to Louisiana I don't know anyone that wouldn't have thought of NC as anything other than the south. After a decade here I don't know people that think of it as the South. Just thought it would get some people fired up in this dead time...

Fun too! :-)

Because LA is Deep South.

Again, like some knucklehead here wants to call a person from Jeffersonville, Indiana a "Great Laker." Are you kidding me? But, that person from Jeffersonville and a person from Duluth, MN are both Midwesterners.

Hate to break it to some in Deep South. If your state went through Reconstruction, you are most definitely a Southern State. Gets dicey with the Border States, so I extend it to the Mason-Dixon Line culturally. ;-)

He he! I still say split MO in two and go right up the Missouri river with that extended Mason-Dixon Line. North is Midwest. Same with OH-PA Line. PA is Northeast, OH is Midwest.

Oh... And thanks Big-10. Can't even go to that traditional well anymore! Rutgers, Maryland and Happy Valley Midwest? You gotta be kidding me! ;-)

Again, like some knucklehead here wants to call a person from Jeffersonville, Indiana a "Great Laker." Are you kidding me? But, that person from Jeffersonville and a person from Duluth, MN are both Midwesterners.

Hate to break it to some in Deep South. If your state went through Reconstruction, you are most definitely a Southern State. Gets dicey with the Border States, so I extend it to the Mason-Dixon Line culturally. ;-)

...that's the point. A lot has changed in 150 years. The cultures now aren't what they were then. Florida panhandle and in the middle of the state has very southern tendencies. The coast is completely different. There isn't a right answer on any of this and no one is going to change anyone else's perception. It's all based on experience and how you define it. I use the NC example because I can relate though my experience. What I thought of as "the South" became a lot different when I moved here. In many ways you could eliminate the borders between Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and the panhandle and you wouldn't know the difference. The only way that you would know what part those people were from would be the SEC school on their hat/polo shirt/truck/fishing shirt. You should read the polls from 538 (if you didn't).

Geographically I agree that the south is everything below the Mason Dixon line. Culturally it gets much more challenging just as the Midwest does. There is no way that I'd consider the northern panhandle of West Virginia southern.

border_mason_dixon_line_map_us_census_bu

See how simple it is! ;-)

That looks close, but the Dakotas are part of Canada, I think? Just up in the attic and forgotten about, as Kathleen Madigan would say. Right? I know our population would drop several hundred people with this classification, but...... :)

my opinion is Pittsburgh feels Midwest to me, and WNY does not. I spend the majority of my time in Cbus, Pitt, and Bflo so that's just my opinion.

my opinion is Pittsburgh feels Midwest to me, and WNY does not. I spend the majority of my time in Cbus, Pitt, and Bflo so that's just my opinion.

Yeah. Both are so close to the eastern border of Midwest.

What are Midwestern values? Family, staying in one location most of your life, close to where one was born.

border_mason_dixon_line_map_us_census_bu

See how simple it is! ;-)

Oklahoma and Texas do not want to grouped with any other region. I'm pretty sure Texas does not want to be grouped with Oklahoma either, but we own them in football so tuckfexas!

We are midsouth bygawd!

...and, and, and, Oklahoma was NEVER in the confederacy. We weren't even a state then! The only civil war fort we had was a union fort.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

...that's the point. A lot has changed in 150 years. The cultures now aren't what they were then. Florida panhandle and in the middle of the state has very southern tendencies. The coast is completely different. There isn't a right answer on any of this and no one is going to change anyone else's perception. It's all based on experience and how you define it. I use the NC example because I can relate though my experience. What I thought of as "the South" became a lot different when I moved here. In many ways you could eliminate the borders between Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and the panhandle and you wouldn't know the difference. The only way that you would know what part those people were from would be the SEC school on their hat/polo shirt/truck/fishing shirt. You should read the polls from 538 (if you didn't).

What's also amusing is I think a lot of the folks yelling south would just as quick call that coastal stretch mid Atlantic, or loop in Florida and the Northeast and just call it east....

You aren't calling lous-issippi-bama-sas anything but south. Ever. And that's the difference as succinctly as I could describe it to a ny friend. There's a southern pride of being unified and those core states are unified in a much different way than the wider "anything south of the mason dixon"

Edited by NoSaint

What's also amusing is I think a lot of the folks yelling south would just as quick call that coastal stretch mid Atlantic, or loop in Florida and the Northeast and just call it east....

You aren't calling lous-issippi-bama-sas anything but south. Ever. And that's the difference as succinctly as I could describe it to a ny friend. There's a southern pride of being unified and those core states are unified in a much different way than the wider "anything south of the mason dixon"

Deep South?