NBA 2017-18

I never thought I'd feel sorry for Lebron James, but it has to be tough to be that good, play that well, get screwed by the refs multiple times late in the game, and then have your moron teammate forget the score and toss away your chance at a win.

Underdogs can't blow games in the finals.

Im not an NBA guy.... but have watched the conference finals and last night.... lamenting the NHL and liking the excitement the NBA brings.....

Until that silly "video review" or whatever that was.  Spoiled the game for me.  These leagues need to eliminate video replay.  It was silly.  The announcers and the "staff referee" couldnt even describe what the referees were supposed to be looking for on the replay, how can they reverse a call and cost a team an NBA finals game for that?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Gotta love the NBA, refs reversing the charge, Draymond making fun of Perkins, JR being JR, LeBron Superman on the court then B word mode off it, GS can’t sell out....

TBH I hate LeBron but I have a hard time cheering on Durant.

you learn to put up with it, or rage uncontrollably, or just stop watching

37 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Im not an NBA guy.... but have watched the conference finals and last night.... lamenting the NHL and liking the excitement the NBA brings.....

Until that silly "video review" or whatever that was.  Spoiled the game for me.  These leagues need to eliminate video replay.  It was silly.  The announcers and the "staff referee" couldnt even describe what the referees were supposed to be looking for on the replay, how can they reverse a call and cost a team an NBA finals game for that?

replay will only get more intrusive and waste more time

i tape most games and watch only live action, for achievement replays i'll rewatch

as soon as it goes to review replay i put it on fast forward and then find "oh it was offside/strike/foul/a catch" and continue with the next play, never getting emotionally involved in an interpretation...

they just call whatever they want to from the replay booth no matter what is obvious...

The reason I like the NBA is that I don’t have any real rooting interests and can just enjoy a competitive exciting game.

I was extremely entertained last night, good game from start to finish. In real time I thought it was a block and after replay I still think that. Lebron’s right foot was still moving when contact took place. At best you can argue it was the same time, which with my understanding of the rule favors the offensive player. The reasoning behind the review seems bogus, but I think the right call was made. 

JR is so weak trying to act like he knew it was tied. One of the worst blunders I’ve ever seen.

Once again though, extremely entertained last night. Hope every game is like this and it will be a great series.

I feel for JR. I made a similar mistake in my college days that helped lead to a loss and kept us out the NCAA trny that year. Poop happens, just a mistake..ya have to let it go. Now you can not like JR for jacking up 3's etc, but this was just a dumb luck mistake.

And @May Day 10, the NHL has been great this playoff year..different for sure, but great. No need to lament, should be happy we are having dramatic, action packed playoffs in both sports.

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Totally a block 

I also thought it a block, and cheer for the Warriors.

I just hate that it can be reviewed only because of where it took place..and the time left. If i understood what they were saying last night..the review took place only because they wanted to confirm if it was in the restricted area. Once that review happens, they can also review if the defender was in proper position. And that can only happen inside 2 minutes.

So if this same played occured two more feet out from restricted area and there was no question where it occured.. block/charge cannot be reviewed...that's just dumb to me. 

Definitely should have a narrower scope of what can be reviewed, I’ll agree with that even if they got the call right.

I count myself among the growing faction of fans who would love to eliminate ALL video review. Mostly from banging my head against the wall with the NFL, but I’m basically there now.

10 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Definitely should have a narrower scope of what can be reviewed, I’ll agree with that even if they got the call right.

I count myself among the growing faction of fans who would love to eliminate ALL video review. Mostly from banging my head against the wall with the NFL, but I’m basically there now.

it's just going to get more intrusive and time wasting.

nuance and allowing creativity and rewarding the best of the game (for the good of the game) is a key part to sports, which is getting stomped out

for example....  the ball goes out of bounds in hoops, the ball may have touched the man closer to the baseline, but the opponent clearly fouled him from behind.  You ignore the obvious foul and give the ball to the other team.

Now replay insists ONLY on who touched the ball last, but 100% ignores the fact that the man was clearly fouled from behind.

7 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

It is awful.

MLB was where it jumped into the territory where I am now desperate to just get rid of it altogether.

When a player slides in safely while the tag is applied.... but loses contact with the base for a fraction of a centimeter for a millisecond, and they are trying to dissect the play to see if he was really out..... get out of here with that.  

NHL with their "coaches challenges" they crowbarred into the league.  Nothing in sports is more self-depreciating than their offsides challenge rule.  

There was also a game in the conference finals: Houston?  where Houston 'won' it at the end, but they reviewed it to see if a Golden State player committed a foul on the rebound.  So they called a foul via video replay and made the Houston player shoot, giving Golden State a chance to tie/win again.  It was garbage and ruined the end of a terrific game.

Edited by May Day 10

baseball allowed the nuance of "in the neighborhood" on the pivot at second on double play attempts, this protected the exposed fielder, there was no problem with this for over 100 years

but with replay they eventually got rid of this and now insist on holding second securely with the ball, leading to rule changes and another set of interpretations for the safety of the man turning the pivot

18 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Baseball and the NHL offside challenges definitely starting pushing me over the edge.

The Kelvin Benjamin overturned TD last season was the final straw. Get rid of it all.

One of the things I liked the most about the Bills/Colts game was that every millimeter couldnt be contested and scrutinized.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I never thought I'd feel sorry for Lebron James, but it has to be tough to be that good, play that well, get screwed by the refs multiple times late in the game, and then have your moron teammate forget the score and toss away your chance at a win.

Underdogs can't blow games in the finals.

I blame Lebron because he alienated (see Kyrie Irving) or forced his better team mates away because of his bloated salary. 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I don't follow basketball.  Is Smith always that stupid?

Yes. Sometimes he will make up for it by having a great shooting game. But JR is vacuous. I think he fills his water bottle with Hennessey. He threw a bowl of soup at a coach this season. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

the charge reversal didnt cost the cavs the game

it tied it up and they got the ball back still. For everyone complaining about the calls, the cavs still controlled their destiny in regulation and couldnt get it done. Hill missed the free throw, then jr compounded that with being dumb. Then they didnt show up in OT.

2 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

The reason I like the NBA is that I don’t have any real rooting interests and can just enjoy a competitive exciting game.

I was extremely entertained last night, good game from start to finish. In real time I thought it was a block and after replay I still think that. Lebron’s right foot was still moving when contact took place. At best you can argue it was the same time, which with my understanding of the rule favors the offensive player. The reasoning behind the review seems bogus, but I think the right call was made. 

JR is so weak trying to act like he knew it was tied. One of the worst blunders I’ve ever seen.

Once again though, extremely entertained last night. Hope every game is like this and it will be a great series.

His foot moving is irrelevant if he established a legal guarding position which is why everybody, including the on air NBA official, thought the call should have stood. Cleveland got jobbed on that call.

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

His foot moving is irrelevant if he established a legal guarding position which is why everybody, including the on air NBA official, thought the call should have stood. Cleveland got jobbed on that call.

why do you torture yourself thinking you have a rule that is etched in stone?

they do whatever they want with the call...

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I just don’t see how he clearly beat Durant to the spot. It seems they got there at the same time, which would favor the offensive player.

The on air official is irrelevant, we’ve all watched NFL games and it’s laughable how off they often are. The on court officials ruled it another way. I already granted that the reason for review in the first place was bogus so I could understand feeling screwed in that regard.

I don’t think “everybody” is in agreement on anything. The officials disagreed, there is a variety of opinions in this very thread, and I’m hearing people at work today disagree. I personally saw and still see a blocking foul.

39 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

the charge reversal didnt cost the cavs the game

It likely did.  They would have had the ball and the lead.  The fact they made other mistakes afterwards doesn't discount the fact they lost 2 points on the reversal.

The lesson, as always:  instant reply is the worst thing to ever happen to sports.

And it didn't matter if you thought it was a block or a charge.  It was close enough where either would have been a reasonable call and looking at it in slow-mo didn't provide any better evidence of one vs the other.  The fact is the refs made a call and there was no compelling reason to overturn it.  That they randomly pick one play to reverse but ignore other close calls (Durant getting foul calls on what appeared to be clean strips twice late in the game) is about as far away from "getting it right" as you can be.   It's a shame this mindless pursuit of micro-managing the game had to mar what was otherwise a fantastic game.

33 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I just don’t see how he clearly beat Durant to the spot. It seems they got there at the same time, which would favor the offensive player.

The on air official is irrelevant, we’ve all watched NFL games and it’s laughable how off they often are. The on court officials ruled it another way. I already granted that the reason for review in the first place was bogus so I could understand feeling screwed in that regard.

I don’t think “everybody” is in agreement on anything. The officials disagreed, there is a variety of opinions in this very thread, and I’m hearing people at work today disagree. I personally saw and still see a blocking foul.

he didn't establish himself in time

watching it in super-slo-mo might make you think he did

but with a brain stem you then remember it is in super-slo-mo

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I believe he said something that he was already off the bench trying to check in or something, which if that was the case I can see why they wouldnt. Tristan Thompson on the other hand probably should be

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Game one was pretty exciting I wonder what the league powers have in store for game 2.

that was a good game, it wasn't top speed, but the Warriors and LeBron were excusably tired after their game 7s.

Cavs had their chance there...

if Van Gundy wasn't being dragged on the foot of a combatant it wasn't a real fight.

that was nothing last night, that wasn't  Dawkins/Lucas or Laimbeer/Sir Charles or Wilt trying to club Sam Jones with a chair

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

I agree that the on air official couldn’t be more irrelevant, but Steve Javie’s opinion is far more informed than most. The refs needed to see if LeBron was in the restricted area, so I understand the need to review the play in that regard. But the judgement call on the blocking foul went too far and the original call shlould have stood. If it weren’t in the last two minutes the refs would have been precluded from doing so in the first place. As much of a bullschit call as can be.

Poor LeBron maybe got a call wrong against him, he's only up 54,433 brutal calls in his favour now?

he forgot to flop and grab his head and roll 26 feet to sell the call

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

why do you torture yourself thinking you have a rule that is etched in stone?

they do whatever they want with the call...

I don’t torture myself in the least. You shouldn’t concern yourself so much.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It was a clear block.

the defender MUST take it clean in the chest after establishing position. Lebron was shying away ,didn’t want to take the full charge 

block

This is what I saw on the replay, he started to turn away from the contact. When I saw it live I thought it was a charge, but after review I thought it was a block

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It was a clear block.

the defender MUST take it clean in the chest after establishing position. Lebron was shying away ,didn’t want to take the full charge 

block

It’s a judgement call. Can you point me to the section of the rule book that says “the defender must take it clean in the chest after establishing position?”

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s a judgement call. Can you point me to the section of the rule book that says “the defender must take it clean in the chest after establishing position?”

From the rule book “To get into a legal position defending against the dribble, the defender needs to get his torso directly in the path and beat him to the spot.” 

Torso includes chest and Lebrons chest was not directly in the path. He was shying away

• Thank you (+1) 1