Negativity v Reality

You know, if Brady were a classy guy, it wouldn't be so bad. But he loves himself to much. I mean, that 200 dollars for that cookbook of his- what a joke.

Well folks paid for it.

His tantrums on the field over the years tell the story as far as I am concerned

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Buffalo News article to hate... reads like a farewell to Sammy.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/28/bills-wr-lack-commitment-sammy-watkins-speaks-volumes/

I don't see what's to be outraged about. The team didn't commit to him by offering the 5th year option, if things go sideways it could be his last season in Buffalo. Not much else to it? Maybe the headline is a little strong? Isn't that their job?

Rodak forgot to mention another of the Ginger Hammer's quotes

Steel sharpens steel.

Proverbs 27:17-27 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another. If you care for your orchard, you'll enjoy its fruit; if you honor your boss

Rich Cimini can kiss my

OK now minor point, but I'm trying to figure out which version(s) "steel sharpens steel" and this version of the proverb come from

Agreed it's pretty silly to ask fans of other teams in the AFC East for their opinion. Naturally "my team will beat them" is part of the mix.

OK now minor point, but I'm trying to figure out which version(s) "steel sharpens steel" and this version of the proverb come from

Agreed it's pretty silly to ask fans of other teams in the AFC East for their opinion. Naturally "my team will beat them" is part of the mix.

Not sure but I've read McD aka the Ginger Hammer say that a few times.

I I did a quick search and what I posted seems to be a good team philosophy.

One teammate helps another and honor the coach and yee shall reap the rewards.

As they were for about 15 years under the previous owner...

Blaming the Pegulas is kind of idiotic.

Sure they screwed the pooch in Rex but they remedied that quickly.

I don't see what's to be outraged about. The team didn't commit to him by offering the 5th year option, if things go sideways it could be his last season in Buffalo. Not much else to it? Maybe the headline is a little strong? Isn't that their job?

:blink: Who's outraged?

Folks on the board have been critical of BN Bills articles lately... I personally would like to see Sammy produce... If he doesn't, another team could reap the benefits this team paid such a high price for... Frustrating, but hardly outrageous.

Another Buffalo News article to hate... reads like a farewell to Sammy.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/28/bills-wr-lack-commitment-sammy-watkins-speaks-volumes/

I haven't liked or agreed with almost everything BN has written on the Bills, but this is article is spot on. It's highly unlikely that Watkins is a Bill next season. Since 5th year options were instituted only one player has had his declined and still been with his team in his 5th season. It can happen, but it's not where the smart money is.

I haven't liked or agreed with almost everything BN has written on the Bills, but this is article is spot on. It's highly unlikely that Watkins is a Bill next season. Since 5th year options were instituted only one player has had his declined and still been with his team in his 5th season. It can happen, but it's not where the smart money is.

I object !

Conjecture !

I demand it be stricken from the record

This team is far from good. 3-13 at best. I dont blame the media for being negative.

There are more holes on this team right now then a screen door on a submarine.

Coaching is very suspect

GM is a huge question

This team is no where near the level of quality teams

BTW how can this topic keep QB play on the sidelines - TT is not that good.

I've read through this entire thread and, sorry, but:

Ragland makes it mostly irrelevant.

Negative? Realistic? Wasted words. Ragland has the ability/potential, to swing 6 games at least, perhaps all 16. Consider: Atlanta on the road. If Ragland plays MLB as well as he is capable? We win that game, easy. Why? Learn about the Falcons. If the D line performs as it has before in a "just go get em" 4-3, or just adequately? Then he has all-pro, perhaps even HOF potential in that game, precisely because: it's the Falcons.

However, any number of worse things can happen with Ragland. He could be absolutely terrible, and swing all 16 games...because we pissed away draft capital while he sits on the bench or on his couch at home. Or, we may be looking at the best Bills MLB ever. We just don't know. You can't have this large of a variance, at the position on defense, and pretend to "know" anything about anything. "Negativity" in this case is as much intentional ignorance, as is optimism. Claiming to be "realistic" is absurd.

There are no "realistic" expectations. We might as well be talking "reality" about the next Euchre hand.

EDIT: And please, in today's NFL: "he fits/doesn't fit the scheme" is a top 5 dumb argument. Winning teams have consistently been drafting/signing versatile players for the last 5 years, so they can come at you all sorts of ways.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I've read through this entire thread and, sorry, but:

Ragland makes it mostly irrelevant.

Negative? Realistic? Wasted words. Ragland has the ability/potential, to swing 6 games at least, perhaps all 16. Consider: Atlanta on the road. If Ragland plays MLB as well as he is capable? We win that game, easy. Why? Learn about the Falcons. If the D line performs as it has before in a "just go get em" 4-3, or just adequately? Then he has all-pro, perhaps even HOF potential in that game, precisely because: it's the Falcons.

However, any number of worse things can happen with Ragland. He could be absolutely terrible, and swing all 16 games...because we pissed away draft capital while he sits on the bench or on his couch at home. Or, we may be looking at the best Bills MLB ever. We just don't know. You can't have this large of a variance, at the position on defense, and pretend to "know" anything about anything. "Negativity" in this case is as much intentional ignorance, as is optimism. Claiming to be "realistic" is absurd.

There are no "realistic" expectations. We might as well be talking "reality" about the next Euchre hand.

EDIT: And please, in today's NFL: "he fits/doesn't fit the scheme" is a top 5 dumb argument. Winning teams have consistently been drafting/signing versatile players for the last 5 years, so they can come at you all sorts of ways.

excellent post.

I don't believe he will be terrible anymore than I believe he will be the best ever but I do believe Ragland will surprise many.

the reality is, we will find out and I am really looking forward to this defense which should compliment another potential top 10 offense and make for a good season?

Not sure but I've read McD aka the Ginger Hammer say that a few times.

I I did a quick search and what I posted seems to be a good team philosophy.

One teammate helps another and honor the coach and yee shall reap the rewards.

Blaming the Pegulas is kind of idiotic.

Sure they screwed the pooch in Rex but they remedied that quickly.

....absolutely correct bud......cut them some slack.....he wrote a check for $165 mil to buy the Sabres and $1.4 BILLION to buy the Bills.....for what, mediocre bottom feeders?......not going to rehash the Sabres purchase history, but it is now on the right track IMO.....as far as the Bills, he did try to retain Marrone to keep continuity, offering him a 4 year, $19.6 mil extension.....TP liked the culture changing disciplinary style but his "Patton like" approach irritated Brandon & Whaley as well as players....so he took his 4 mil and ran knowing his 2 biggest detractors would be up his butt....no need to rehash the Wrecks debacle which was Brandon theater to sell tickets....SURE McD is a greenhorn HC, but he's all business and comes from good pedigree starting with the late and great DC Jim Johnson......Rivera, even though a 2nd string in Bears 46 defense, acquitted himself well in SD and with Panthers.....Beane could have held out for something else, but decided to join McD and look at the former VP's and former Personnel Directors that joined his staff.....and of course, the yipsters will say" they needed job(s)".....IMO, bet your twin cheeks the Pegulas are atoning for their mistakes...ALL of the aforementioned hires come right out of Terry's checkbook....as a quick aside, Sabres GM Botterill was given the latitude to hire Assistant GM's one of which will serve as GM for Pegulas AHL franchise in Rochester....and they have hired former Amerk great Chris Taylor as HC ..money is NO object when these folks want THE best...convince me otherwise and I will go back to under my rock...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

excellent post.

I don't believe he will be terrible anymore than I believe he will be the best ever but I do believe Ragland will surprise many.

the reality is, we will find out and I am really looking forward to this defense which should compliment another potential top 10 offense and make for a good season?

Thanks. I try to do my best work here, and my worst work at PPP :devil:

If we look at the Patriots D closely, it's clear that they've been taking "castoffs", "doesn't fit the scheme" guys, UDFAs, but, on the other side, mostly drafting D busts, for years as well. Somehow they generate a decent defense, just enough to win, year over year. That's not because the run a scheme, that's because they have a highly competent coaching staff who is able to get the best out of players by focusing the D on what the players they have each year, are best at.

....absolutely correct bud......cut them some slack.....he wrote a check for $165 mil to buy the Sabres and $1.4 BILLION to buy the Bills.....for what, mediocre bottom feeders?......not going to rehash the Sabres purchase history, but it is now on the right track IMO.....as far as the Bills, he did try to retain Marrone to keep continuity, offering him a 4 year, $19.6 mil extension.....TP liked the culture changing disciplinary style but his "Patton like" approach irritated Brandon & Whaley as well as players....so he took his 4 mil and ran knowing his 2 biggest detractors would be up his butt....no need to rehash the Wrecks debacle which was Brandon theater to sell tickets....SURE McD is a greenhorn HC, but he's all business and comes from good pedigree starting with the late and great DC Jim Johnson......Rivera, even though a 2nd string in Bears 46 defense, acquitted himself well in SD and with Panthers.....Beane could have held out for something else, but decided to join McD and look at the former VP's and former Personnel Directors that joined his staff.....and of course, the yipsters will say" they needed job(s)".....IMO, bet your twin cheeks the Pegulas are atoning for their mistakes...ALL of the aforementioned hires come right out of Terry's checkbook....as a quick aside, Sabres GM Botterill was given the latitude to hire Assistant GM's one of which will serve as GM for Pegulas AHL franchise in Rochester....and they have hired former Amerk great Chris Taylor as HC ..money is NO object when these folks want THE best...convince me otherwise and I will go back to under my rock...........

I would like to know why anyone would even blame the Pegula's like they are supposed to be well versed in the sport that they own a team in.

They are OWNERS.....the only mistake they have made is who they hired to run their teams.....and some of that is by trial and error.

El Pegula....love you and your lovely wife.

I would like to know why anyone would even blame the Pegula's like they are supposed to be well versed in the sport that they own a team in.

They are OWNERS.....the only mistake they have made is who they hired to run their teams.....and some of that is by trial and error.

Yep. They are slowly learning. They want to win and will spare no expense.

First ... yes, Kim Pegula is a smoking hot gold digger.

Secondly, as owners, they took it upon themselves to handpick Rex Ryan as their head coach because Kim thought it was cool.

That led to Rex Ryan hand picking Tyrod Taylor AND Rob Ryan.

You know how it ends.

The good thing is that they seem to have learned from their stupid mistakes and hired a real GM, whose little puppy came along to coach.

We shall see how it works. Personally, I'm very optimistic ... for the 2019 season. As long as fossil fuel boy and his secretary keep their involvement limited to writing checks, I think we're in good shape.

The only good thing going into the Bills season is people expect them to be really bad. The last time I can remember that was Flutie's first year, and that gives me hope.

McDermott changed the run game completely. That was the only good part of last year. Not a good sign for coaching, it makes it seem they only know how to do one thing.

Taylor is just too small. It's really affects his game more so than any other QB. That missed throw to Watkins 2 years ago against the Jets, he was just throwing blind. Last year at home against Miami, he was standing on his tip toes to see the field, so you have to drop down to throw. That's not going to work. He also always runs, his lower body position is never the same for each throw, so there's no way to get a consistent platform, so he's never really thrown a NFL pass ever in his life yet.

Kyle Williams told everyone he's about to quit this year. The Bills gave up 2 picks for Watkins, and he's yet to give the Bills a full game. That's the veteran leadership who are needed for a surprise run.

So the Bills are in a rebuild. 3 years to build a new roster, enough time for everyone else in the league to discover McDermmott's faults. If the Bills stay in Buffalo and don't end up in Toronto it's a win.

Edited by r.harvey

The only good thing going into the Bills season is people expect them to be really bad. The last time I can remember that was Flutie's first year, and that gives me hope.

McDermott changed the run game completely. That was the only good part of last year. Not a good sign for coaching, it makes it seem they only know how to do one thing.

Taylor is just too small. It's really affects his game more so than any other QB. That missed throw to Watkins 2 years ago against the Jets, he was just throwing blind. Last year at home against Miami, he was standing on his tip toes to see the field, so you have to drop down to throw. That's not going to work. He also always runs, his lower body position is never the same for each throw, so there's no way to get a consistent platform, so he's never really thrown a NFL pass ever in his life yet.

Kyle Williams told everyone he's about to quit this year. The Bills gave up 2 picks for Watkins, and he's yet to give the Bills a full game. That's the veteran leadership who are needed for a surprise run.

So the Bills are in a rebuild. 3 years to build a new roster, enough time for everyone else in the league to discover McDermmott's faults. If the Bills stay in Buffalo and don't end up in Toronto it's a win.

Ray of sunshine here, ain't ya?

But you're mostly right.

Secondly, as owners, they took it upon themselves to handpick Rex Ryan as their head coach because Kim thought it was cool.

You know how it ends.

The good thing is that they seem to have learned from their stupid mistakes and hired a real GM, whose little puppy came along to coach.

We shall see how it works. Personally, I'm very optimistic ... for the 2019 season. As long as fossil fuel boy and his secretary keep their involvement limited to writing checks, I think we're in good shape.

at least you have that great game of baseball to keep you preoccupied until 2019, eh

so McD is a little puppy, got it...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Drew Brees stands on his toes inside the pocket, I'm down on the Bills roster but most of what you wrote is sloppy.

The negativity is a natural occurence when the football team you stand up and cheer for every Sunday hasn't reached the playoffs in over 17 years. The reality is the negative posters love the Buffalo Bills just as much as the positive posters.

maybe more...

The negativity is a natural occurence when the football team you stand up and cheer for every Sunday hasn't reached the playoffs in over 17 years. The reality is the negative posters love the Buffalo Bills just as much as the positive posters.

maybe more...

....well stated 'Fig.......and the fact that is STILL happens EVERY Sunday over the last 17 years is a testament to the Buffalo fan brethren.........find me a more resilient bunch in the NFL..........

I tended to always look for reasons for optimism in the offseason. There's been some past years where I convinced myself this was a playoff team.

However, watching some of the episodes of Down & Drought it just all merges together after a while. There's things I like this offseason but I can't convince myself this is a playoff bound team until I see it.

...it hasn't been since the Polian era that we have built a formidable organization from the top down IMO........Pegula has spared NO expense in hiring Beane and letting him assemble a staff consisting of many former VP's and Personnel Directors...and TP landed his guy as HC, green yes, but from pretty good pedigree starting with legendary DC, the late Jim Johnson followed by a stint with Rivera.....all on paper?...of course, but the paper is lookin' good so far......now if all translates to between the stripes, 2017 could shape up to be a very interesting year IMO.......stay tuned.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

.......... so he's never really thrown a NFL pass ever in his life yet.

You think everything absurd has already been said.

You think there's no more new nonsense to be found.

But then a person comes along and surprises you

In a recent thread someone was posting about Taylor's "processing" speed. That was the preexisting condition which assured Taylor would never be a "real" NFL quarterback. I'll post here what I did there : TT's statistics in the 15 games with a legitimate No 1&2 receiver - both Watkins and Woods playing : 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs. It's hard to believe he could accomplish that while not throwing a NFL pass, ya think?

Look : Taylor has talent. He can make all the throws. In the areas where he needs to improve - say, middle passing or leading receivers - the delta between him and his peers is much smaller than people want to see. Taylor's problem is consistency - within a game, a season, and a career. He may solve that; he may not. Some qbs never do. Nick Foles looked like a hall-of-famer one year and a mediocre bum the next.

But consistency will be what sets Taylor's ceiling, not whether he can "throw a NFL pass"

Edited by grb

In a recent thread someone was posting about Taylor's "processing" speed. That was the preexisting condition which assured Taylor would never be a "real" NFL quarterback. I'll post here what I did there : TT's statistics in the 15 games with a legitimate No 1&2 receiver - both Watkins and Woods playing : 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs. It's hard to believe he could accomplish that while not throwing a NFL pass, ya think?

Look : Taylor has talent. He can make all the throws. In the areas where he needs to improve - say, middle passing or leading receivers - the delta between him and his peers is much smaller than people want to see. Taylor's problem is consistency - within a game, a season, and a career. He may solve that; he may not. Some qbs never do. Nick Foles looked like a hall-of-famer one year and a mediocre bum the next.

But consistency will be what sets Taylor's ceiling, not whether he can "throw a NFL pass"

good posting :thumbsup:

You know how it ends.

What a disrespectful post.

good posting :thumbsup:

...I have voiced my opinion (just an opinion) that I'm unsure as to whether TT can process the entire field in <5 seconds to find guys open....first, it is NO easy task....secondly, Steve Young said it best, "the reason why more collegians fail versus succeed is because of the speed and complexity of the game at the NFL level".....at the same time, I agree with your point about CONSISTENTLY having #1 & #2 available, which was not the case....at the same time, I'm not convinced Roman was the right guy to develop a passing game conducive to TT's strengths and steered away from perceived weaknesses....Lynn got caught in the crossfire and just tried to maintain the offense......Dennison is the right guy to develop an offense to best fit TT and sure as hell deserves a shot....quicker read/progression plays, rollouts, screens, utilizing Shady and the boyz out of the backfield like Faulk used to crush us may be the answer.....if so the passing game becomes a viable threat that can readily be called upon......and this new look may even open things up for the long ball which the kid does well....stay tuned.......

You know how it ends.

...now there is a well thought out, informative post.....ranks right up there with what I deposit in my Kohler every morning.......

You know how it ends.

Wow you think very little of Kim Pegula. This is a disgraceful post.

It's not that I think little of Kim Pegula. I gave her a compliment, didn't I?

Anyone who things the Pegulas have done a good job as owners of the Bills for the past two years hasn't been paying attention.

As a fan who spends money on Bills tickets and merchandise, I'm well within my right to voice my displeasure.

As far as being disrespectful, this is the Internet. It's not church. So I don't know what to tell you.

I thought Ralph was a crappy owner, too. Should I be shot for that?

I'm one of many Bills fans who think we, as paying fans, should have a better on-field product. There's nothing wrong with that and it makes me no less of a fan than any of you criticizing what I wrote.

I didn't cross any lines, so get over it and yourselves. All I did was criticize ownership. Chill out.

It's not that I think little of Kim Pegula. I gave her a compliment, didn't I?

Anyone who things the Pegulas have done a good job as owners of the Bills for the past two years hasn't been paying attention.

As a fan who spends money on Bills tickets and merchandise, I'm well within my right to voice my displeasure.

As far as being disrespectful, this is the Internet. It's not church. So I don't know what to tell you.

I thought Ralph was a crappy owner, too. Should I be shot for that?

I'm one of many Bills fans who think we, as paying fans, should have a better on-field product. There's nothing wrong with that and it makes me no less of a fan than any of you criticizing what I wrote.

I didn't cross any lines, so get over it and yourselves. All I did was criticize ownership. Chill out.

....see if your dog will take you for a walk.....I'd bet he declines......poor thing would be repulsed to bring a bag to pick up your sh*t......yet another keyboard coward spouting off.................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy