Negativity v Reality

Taylor was able to hold the team right at or just a little above the 500 mark without much help from the D so its hard for me to see the Bills losing ground in that regard despite the tough schedule and new HC/coaching staff in my humble opinion Shaw.

I agree with your comment on not much separation between 10 - 6 and 6 - 10 teams.

Myself personally, I"m predicting a 9 - 7, 10 - 6 season with Sammy , Shady and T Mobile leading the charge/ wildcard

It is ironic that people so high on Taylor refuse to think the Bills might improve.

I'm down for a solid 9-7 (or better) season.

When Sammy, Kyle and Shady are all gone next year, reality is really going to kick in badly. Hopefully there is a legit qb coming out in 2019 as I have a feeling we will be the Jets....

You should change your name to BuffaloBummer

I'm confident that you've been called that numerous times.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is ironic that people so high on Taylor refuse to think the Bills might improve.

McD gives me the impression the guy really gets it.

That is actually not true (at least not for all of us)

Its just that those same people that would say something like this also dont want to admit it could easlily get worse......

Without Tyrod Taylor this last 2 years this offense (imo) is bottom of the league

Confident L's - @ Falcons, Patriots, @ Patriots :bag:,

Confident W's - Jets, @Jets, Dolphins*, @ Bengals, Tampa Bay, Colts, Saints (sorry old man Drew), 7 maybe 8 * split (hoping for sweep)

Too soon to tell where these fall

Broncos - who's their QB and will the D regress w/o Wade? As the game is in Buffalo, I'll lean Bills 8 maybe 9

@ Panthers - Mc D effect? Will Cam snap back to Superman?

with these two ... If only the Bills hadn't stopped passing in the 2nd half in 2015 and 2016. - 1 and 1 split

Raiders -

@ KC

West Coast success rate isn't great. @ Chargers 50/50 chance

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Why is 9-7 the goal?

If you're gonna go 9-7 in the AFC East you're almost certainly missing the playoffs again. The Bills did it twice themselves during the drought.

I'm over being mediocre. Seriously.

I'd rather be 1-15 and guarantee myself at least one very high pick than go 9-7, draft 17th again, and "wait till next season to get the QB cause we all know how highly rated they are compared to this year's crop."

Does it guarantee them a winning team? No. Spare me the list of teams that tanked and didn't win.

Would you rather be the Bucs, Titans, or Bills right now? Be objective.

I choose Tennessee. Talented young QB with lots of weapons.

We have to give up on the idea of getting a wild card and losing in the 1st round by 34 points as some sort of victory.

When is this team gonna go 13-3 and win home field? Control the AFC?

Call me when Brady retires and Belichick somehow croaks. Until then, hope for the worst cause that's the best situation we could have.

That is actually not true (at least not for all of us)

Its just that those same people that would say something like this also dont want to admit it could easlily get worse......

Without Tyrod Taylor this last 2 years this offense (imo) is bottom of the league

Sure, it could get worse for the team, but I'm not looking for an empty glass. TT can produce with his legs and where he can't I'm hoping the D will get a win or 2.

Oh and heaven forbid the real TT haters will be unbearable.

TT's average 8* + 2 = 10 (say he played the Jets finale)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Confident L's - @ Falcons, Patriots, @ Patriots :bag:,

Confident W's - Jets, @Jets, Dolphins*, @ Bengals, Tampa Bay, Colts, Saints (sorry old man Drew), 7 maybe 8 * split (hoping for sweep)

Too soon to tell where these fall

Broncos - who's their QB and will the D regress w/o Wade? As the game is in Buffalo, I'll lean Bills 8 maybe 9

@ Panthers - Mc D effect? Will Cam snap back to Superman?

with these two ... If only the Bills hadn't stopped passing in the 2nd half in 2015 and 2016. - and 1 split

Raiders -

@ KC

West Coast success rate isn't great. @ Chargers 50/50 chance

Seems reasonable. My feeling is somewhere around 8-8. Could do better if we have some health and bounces go our way. Could be worse if we have health issues and bounces don't go our way.

Seems reasonable. My feeling is somewhere around 8-8. Could do better if we have some health and bounces go our way. Could be worse if we have health issues and bounces don't go our way.

Injuries always happen. Next Man Up.

where have we seen that over and over

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Why is 9-7 the goal?

If you're gonna go 9-7 in the AFC East you're almost certainly missing the playoffs again. The Bills did it twice themselves during the drought.

I'd rather be 1-15 and guarantee myself at least one very high pick than go 9-7, draft 17th again, and "wait till next season to get the QB cause we all know how highly rated they are compared to this year's crop."

Does it guarantee them a winning team? No. Spare me the list of teams that tanked and didn't win.

We have to give up on the idea of getting a wild card and losing in the 1st round by 34 points as some sort of victory.

Call me when Brady retires and Belichick somehow croaks. Until then, hope for the worst cause that's the best situation we could have.

The titans actually have a lot of promise....but the bucs have shown NOTHING that they are gonna turn it around....

Wanna say that the bucs had a great draft and their rooks are gonna make that team turn around....you could just as easily say the same thing for the bills who had a high pick LB not even play for them last year and a one armed 1st round pick miss half the season......couple that with this year's draft the bills could easily be better? if you gonna view that way for the bucs then the bills get that same consideration.

....tutoring under Eagles DC Johnson is huge.....the man wasbrilliant mind as a DC and succumbed to cancer at 68, LONG Before his time...Rivera, yes a 2nd stringer in Bears' famed 2005 SB "46 defense" acquitted himself well as Chargers DC....WORST case is that McD returns this defense to its top 5 or so level pre-TrainWrecks debacle.....as you said 'Fig, "IT" is all about winning....Fraser is the perfect vet compliment despite the yipsters calling him a "glorified DB Coach"....and Dennison knows what he needs to do to make this offense work....he has to craft an offense that exploits TT's strengths and masks his weaknesses...right guy?....yup........Pegula has hired a COMPLETE gang from Administration to FO to Coaches who collectively "get IT"....stay tuned............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Why is 9-7 the goal?

Well If we're going to wish upon a falling star lets go undefeated and Championship.

until we can beat the Patriots its probably all for not...

....tutoring under Eagles DC Johnson is huge.....the man wasbrilliant mind as a DC and succumbed to cancer at 68, LONG Before his time...Rivera, yes a 2nd stringer in Bears' famed 2005 SB "46 defense" acquitted himself well as Chargers DC....WORST case is that McD returns this defense to its top 5 or so level pre-TrainWrecks debacle.....as you said 'Fig, "IT" is all about winning....Fraser is the perfect vet compliment despite the yipsters calling him a "glorified DB Coach"....and Dennison knows what he needs to do to make this offense work....he has to craft an offense that exploits TT's strengths and masks his weaknesses...right guy?....yup........Pegula has hired a COMPLETE gang from Administration to FO to Coaches who collectively "get IT"....stay tuned............

nice post my friend

I am actually one of the more optimistic Bills fans out there and what I wrote is most likely going to happen. IF Tyrod does not have a good season, how will this team look when the Vets make an exodus? There is nothing negative about what I wrote and the only thing that will change it will be if Tyrod turns into that elusive franchise QB.

And for the record, 8-8 or 9-7 record is the absolute last scenario I would want to see again.....ever

There will always be a vocal group of supporters who take the "until they prove otherwise..." approach. It's hard to blame them -- they're suffering from BBFS and it has been 17 years. I'd almost call that realism, but where it crosses the line into negativity is when each and every decision made by the organization is met with disdain and disgust -- often with no suggestion of what the critic would have done instead.

Put me in the group who believes this roster is capable of contending for the playoffs because of the following:

-- addition by subtraction (Rex and Rob)

-- competent, professional coaching by veteran assistant coaches (compare/contrast Marrone giving OC job to Hackett)

-- overall talent that likely falls right around the median in the NFL (meaning coaching and a few breaks can get them over the hump)

-- superstar player motivated to earn his next contract (Sammy)

-- a culture of accountability that will hopefully have an impact on players like Dareus

I'm sure over the past 17 seasons I've listed numerous reasons why I thought those Bills would also contend. Just because I was wrong then doesn't mean I'm wrong now. ;)

Agree, but I will stick with 7-9 until proven otherwise. We really needed another good, veteran WR. MG was a big loss to the running game. But the defense should be better this season.

the reality is, as in this case, those who are negative have no more clue than those who believe they win 10 games. no one knows, the media and some of those here who use the past or the roster, schedule, ect would rather go in to the season thinking negatively believing they're not a contender and predict 3-7 wins. then there are those who see through a more positive light believe with a new staff, decent draft picks and healthy players returning, they could win at least 10 games and see a wild card?

reality is, no one knows...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I don't see the bills finishing at the bottom unless that is their goal. I see no reason why this team cannot compete for a wildcard if the coaching is anything for us to get excited about.

Any new coach heading for greatness should be able to take an average bunch and make them a playoff contender showing signs of improvement as the season wears on

I expect McDermott and Co. to be able to muster up 9 wins myself.

And that usually happens unless he comes to a team that really lacks the talent to compete or gets hit with injuries to key personnel.

Good coaching and a stout defense can get a team pretty far as witness both Minnesota and Houston have repeatedly made the playoffs with virtually no NFL caliber QBing. The Bills lacked both last season. I expect a better defense this year simply because last year's was so putrid, but the closer it resembles 2014, the happier I'll be with the coaching staff.

I will be disappointed if McDermott can't coach this Bills team to 8-10 wins if key players are available for most of the season.

Taylor was able to hold the team right at or just a little above the 500 mark without much help from the D so its hard for me to see the Bills losing ground in that regard despite the tough schedule and new HC/coaching staff in my humble opinion Shaw.

I agree with your comment on not much separation between 10 - 6 and 6 - 10 teams.

Myself personally, I"m predicting a 9 - 7, 10 - 6 season with Sammy , Shady and T Mobile leading the charge/ wildcard

Getting 10 wins, even if they miss out on the WC, would be huge (which has happened to teams in the past). It would be the Bills' first double digit win season in this century.

We will be in a lot of close games this year. I believe turnovers will be the deciding factor. Defense has to start producing turnovers and offense has to keep protecting the ball as well as it has. Do that and I think a wildcard playoff spot is very possible.